SOS!!! My gentoo gets completly mad!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexou2643
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: SOS!!! My gentoo gets completly mad! Reply with quote

Well first,
Happy and Merry Christmas to all/Joyeux Noel à tous le monde!

Ok i have the worst problem i've ever had on my gentoo box.
The thing is that some time ago i moved my /var directory on another partition by copying it, but unfortunarely i forgot to use the preserve option of cp.
Anyway, i had already experimented some problems due to this bad manipulation, especially with mysql, and i had already asked for some help...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=24660&highlight=

Anyway, today, i finally tried to make work my network again, but as soon as i connected my second gentoo box on my gentoo server, my gentoo server froze!!! So i had to reboot with a little reset, and there after logging in GDM, my gnome desktop didn't start!!!
So i thought there was maybe a problem with my named service or the dhcp service, so i savecd my configurations files for these two services, and then i deleted all was involved with that...
/etc/bind
/etc/dhcp
/var/bind
/var/lib/dhcp

emerge -C bind
emerge -C dhcp
rc-update del named
rc-update del dhcp

And then i rebooted.
Then in a failsafe term session, i reinstalled the whole thing, bind and dhcp and i reconfigured the whole thing to make the named and dhcp work again.
I rebooted, and unfortunately my gnome-desktop still doesn't load and start.
I really don't know what happens here...
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well I think you pretty much narrowed your problems already down to a point: You copied /var without preserving user/permissions . Since mysql acesses that directory, you naturally had problems with it. Chances are that gnome has the same problem. I'm not sure which files in /var gnome writes/reads to since I don't use gnome, but what you can do is to try '$emerge -e gnome' which will re-emerge gnome with all its dependencies, thus hopefully restoring everything in the afflicted /var partition.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I checked one of my other boxes which has gnome, and the only directory I saw which seemed immediately gnome-related was /var/lib/gdm, for the gnome-display-manager:

drwxr-x--- gdm gdm

This directory should be owned by user gdm, group gdm . Since you propably already had prob's with /var/run/mysql, you should maybe check that directory too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: