View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob-Diddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Get "Screen not found error" when i type startx Reply with quote

I just installed gentoo and updated everything and emerged xfree and set it up buy my card is not listed in the list of cards that they have. I chose generice Vga driver and it still does not work im positive that my monitor and refresh rates are all setup up correctly. I need to know if there is a way that i can get the drivers and dl them and install them and if so how do i get xfree to recognize that i have these drivers? I really need help and all the people I know that know alot about nix dont have any idea what to do. :(
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of card do you have? And what is listed under the device and screen sections of XF86Config?
Bob-Diddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i forgot to say my card its an ati radeon 9000 pro and it says ati for the device and all the other things it says ati for the driver but it still wont work i have tried like 6 other cards made by ati on the list and it still wont work :(
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any screens configured under the screen seciton?

Something like:

Code:

Section "Screen"
       Identifier    "Screen 1"
       Device        "ATI Rage Pro"
       Monitor       "Your monitor"
       DefaultDepth 24

Subseciton "Display"
       Depth                24
       Modes               "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

etc...

I would suggest you do a search both on these forums and on google with something like "ati radeon 9000" and "XF86Config" as the keywords. It is not like it is a really obscure card, so I am sure there must be someone that has tackled this issue before.

I have a nvida card so I really don't know what your settings should be. The fact that you are getting an error saying no screens found would suggest there is a problem with your screens section. I am pretty sure you would also get some kind of error about your driver if it was incorrect too. Try looking through the screen section for obvious problems (you should be able to find someone's config file on google for a reference) and maybe also have a go at generating another config file with the /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config application, paying particular attention to the last section where you set up your screens.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: