Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: beep-media-player and fvwm Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
I've got this strange problem with using beep-media-player and fvwm. And it only happens with fvwm so I am not sure how to fix it or what the problem is.

when I have beep-media-player open, it seems to move very slowly when you try to place the windows somewhere else. The player doesn't crash or anything but the lag when dragging this particular app is annoying.

Any ideas as to what would be the cause?

By the way! you guys have really kept this thread smokin!

There is a comment about xmms in the fvwm faq, though in answer to a different question, about why many xmms (and I presume therefore bmp) things don't work right:

Quote:
0.2 I use XMMS, but it ignores some window styles.
A: XMMS wants to do evrything by itself and overrides many
settings of the window manager. Check the options menu in XMMS
and if that does not help, ask the XMMS people about it at

http://xmms.org/

Please do not ask XMMS questions on the fvwm mailing lists
and so not report XMMS related bugs before you tried the XMMS
mailing lists. No offence meant, but we really have more
important things to do than providing user support for third
party software.

I use xmms on the odd occasion I want to listen to music that rhythmbox can't play and have the same (very) laggy drag thing. I have seen people complaining at the same thing being told it is xmms's fault for trying to do everything itself. It might be worth your while searching the xmms/bmp mailing lists to see what they say.
Cold-Phoenix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Fvwm+xcompmgr==urmmm? Reply with quote

I've been playing around trying to get a config i like till i get the strength to do my own so i've put together taviso's and the crystal configs to get an idea of what i'ld use more regularly.

Anyway i've got a *slight* problem with xcompmgr + xorg6.8

Code:
aidan@Jessica(~)$ xcompmgr
error 8 request 159 minor 4 serial 304
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 305
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 505
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 613
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 731
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 844
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 957
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1065
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1173
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1286
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1394
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1507
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1615
error 192 request 159 minor 8 serial 1728
<repeat infinatly>

background blacks out when this is run and takes imprints of windows when you move them (i'm using fbsetbg)

xcompmgr works perfectly in gnome so i'm guessing that as nobody else has posted about this that i've found a bug :o

(EDIT)
Incase anyone else has this problem i've found the problem to be that fbsetbg uses bsetbg to set the background i've just switched to useing 'Esetroot' and it works perfectly :)

Last edited by Cold-Phoenix on Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: beep-media-player and fvwm Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
I've got this strange problem with using beep-media-player and fvwm. And it only happens with fvwm so I am not sure how to fix it or what the problem is.

when I have beep-media-player open, it seems to move very slowly when you try to place the windows somewhere else. The player doesn't crash or anything but the lag when dragging this particular app is annoying.

Any ideas as to what would be the cause?

By the way! you guys have really kept this thread smokin!

Does it not move at all, until you release the mouse, and at that point warps to where it should be?
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AnimatedScroll Reply with quote

taviso wrote:
Cool Hack we came up with on #fvwm (on freenode) yesterday for an eye-candy replacement to EdgeScrolling:
Code:
AddToFunc AnimatedScroll I PipeRead 'for ((x=0;x<10;x++)) do echo Scroll $$(($0/10)) $$(($1/10)); done'
EdgeCommand Top AnimatedScroll 0 -100
EdgeCommand Bottom AnimatedScroll 0 100
EdgeCommand Left AnimatedScroll -100 0
EdgeCommand Right AnimatedScroll 100 0
EdgeThickness 1

Try adding these to your fvwm2rc, and hitting the screen edges with the pointer :)

I'm trying it out, but I don't have to click the edges, when I just move to the edge I get taken to the next desktop real fast! HELP!
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: beep-media-player and fvwm Reply with quote

Lews_Therin wrote:

Does it not move at all, until you release the mouse, and at that point warps to where it should be?

Yes, that is exactly what it does. Do you know what it is?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: speaking of xmms Reply with quote

Does anyone know a way to make FvwmButtons swallow a popup window? I have this vague plan to have a holder for my desktop gdancer sprite, but I can't figure out how to grab it

And yes, I have read the FAQ and the "no questions about xmms to the FVWM list" entry. But this isn't the FVWM list, and I'm interested in the general problem as well.
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: speaking of xmms Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:
And yes, I have read the FAQ and the "no questions about xmms to the FVWM list" entry. But this isn't the FVWM list, and I'm interested in the general problem as well.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say don't ask, just trying to point to something that shed a (very) little light on it.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: speaking of xmms Reply with quote

Keffin wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say don't ask, just trying to point to something that shed a (very) little light on it.

Sorry if I sounded over defensive :) I just didn't want anyone to think I hadn't read back as far as three messages 8)
cyjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawnmist wrote:
Got there!

Have set of scripts that expand taviso's wallpaper browser and allow thumbnails from images in different image directories to have unique names.

It also reduces/removes the problem with correcting the missing submenu function for each directory, but has removed all the detail from the .fvwm2rc into a set of scripts with piperead.

You'll need to set some variables (you've probaby already done the wallpaper dir):

Hmm... Your script is only partially working for me. The problem is that the Menu created by WallpaperBrowserMenuRepair.sh just doesn't pop up. In fact the Wallpaper Browser Menu does have the little arrow indicating that there is a submenu but just no submenu pops up... If I add it manually by typing something like AddToMenu MenuFvwmConfig "blah" Popup my-wallpaper-directory it works. But this is not satisfactory.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has reached forum hurting size. Please continue in The F? Virtual Window Manager (part 2).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67
Page 67 of 67

Jump to: