Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: The F? Virtual Window Manager (part 2) Reply with quote

As long threads hurt the forums, The F? Virtual Window Manager thread is continued here.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally something i can follow.
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the beginners among us: http://zensites.net/fvwm/guide

It used to be down, it's back woot.

*Waits for taviso to give big speech* ;)
harnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If someone is interested, I released new version of FVWM-Crystal desktop. Should be in the Portage soon. Meanwhile, some links:

Webpage:
http://fvwm-crystal.linux.net.pl/

Latest screenshot:
http://fvwm-crystal.linux.net.pl/img/gallery/actual.jpg

File with news:
http://fvwm-crystal.linux.net.pl/files/NEWS

Actual package:
http://fvwm-crystal.linux.net.pl/files/versions/20040919/

If you are worried about the new MacOS X look, it's not the default one :)

Enjoy.
harnir
Dawnmist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm... Your script is only partially working for me. The problem is that the Menu created by WallpaperBrowserMenuRepair.sh just doesn't pop up. In fact the Wallpaper Browser Menu does have the little arrow indicating that there is a submenu but just no submenu pops up... If I add it manually by typing something like AddToMenu MenuFvwmConfig "blah" Popup my-wallpaper-directory it works. But this is not satisfactory.

I'm sorry, not quite sure what the problem is.

In Taviso's original wallpaper browser, it was called from the MenuFvwmConfig menu as follows:

Code:
DestroyMenu MenuFvwmConfig
AddToMenu MenuFvwmConfig
+ MissingSubmenuFunction WallpaperBrowser
+ %widget_buttons.png%"Configure FvwmForm" Module FvwmForm FvwmForm-Form
<snip some other menu items>
+ %graphics_convert_polaroid.png%"Browse Wallpaper" Popup $[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]

Is this what is not working? Are you needing to add it twice? Or differently? Or was it not clear from my post that this was a replacement for the current function taviso had, but needed to be accessed in the same way that taviso's function had been accessed? How is this not satisfactory?

If I've misunderstood the question, please do explain further :wink:

Cheers,
Dawnmist.
drutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in trying out fvwm for a while now but the default look of it is ugly and it seems a bit confusing to configure.
Well I'll read the guide Ruzbeh posted and see if it's worth it.
roamingnomad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, good thing I didn't write one on my own.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruzbeh wrote:

WOW. :D THANK YOU. I tried twice going through the man pages and trying to hack taviso's config to fit what I want, and neither it nor FVWM-Crystal seemed right to me. I've been going through this and trying to hack my own .fvwm2rc on an X server running on :1, then switching between :0 (my current X) and :1 (the one that I'm trying to make FVWM nice in).
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Ruzbeh wrote:

WOW. :D THANK YOU. I tried twice going through the man pages and trying to hack taviso's config to fit what I want, and neither it nor FVWM-Crystal seemed right to me. I've been going through this and trying to hack my own .fvwm2rc on an X server running on :1, then switching between :0 (my current X) and :1 (the one that I'm trying to make FVWM nice in).

:-/ did u ever try my .fvwm2rc :(
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
Lews_Therin wrote:
Does it not move at all, until you release the mouse, and at that point warps to where it should be?

Yes, that is exactly what it does. Do you know what it is?

If when you hold down the mouse button for a few seconds, your computer beeps and you can move the window freely, then it's a similar problem to what I (and according to Google a great many other people) get with gkrellm.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lews_Therin wrote:
If when you hold down the mouse button for a few seconds, your computer beeps and you can move the window freely, then it's a similar problem to what I (and according to Google a great many other people) get with gkrellm.

Well, I tried what you said, I dont get the beep (at least I dont hear it) but after a few seconds, the window moves freely. What did you terms/phrase/words did you use for the Google search and was there anysolution?

Thanks for that reply too by the way!
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to sort out my panel (FvwmButtons). I'm using 2 xclocks. 1 to display time. 1 to display date.

Is it possible to differentiate between the two xclocks, so that they are swallowed into the right locations?

Since both are 'xclock' the first button will grab the first 'xclock' that appears. Unfortunately there is only about a 25% chance that it will be the right one. So currently I'm restarting several times until it's right.

Looking for a better solution...
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
Lews_Therin wrote:

Well, I tried what you said, I dont get the beep (at least I dont hear it) but after a few seconds, the window moves freely. What did you terms/phrase/words did you use for the Google search and was there anysolution?

Thanks for that reply too by the way!

It beeps your PC speaker...if it's not enabled, you won't hear it. I just googled for "fvwm gkrellm" (no quotes), and got a mailing-list archive where people have this same problem. It seems that gkrellm tries to manage itself, but there were no solutions.

A useful workaround is that if you have FvwmPager running, you can middle-click the gkrellm window to move it around perfectly (when you hold down the button, it doesn't follow rules such as snap).
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloim wrote:
Trying to sort out my panel (FvwmButtons). I'm using 2 xclocks. 1 to display time. 1 to display date.

Is it possible to differentiate between the two xclocks, so that they are swallowed into the right locations?

Since both are 'xclock' the first button will grab the first 'xclock' that appears. Unfortunately there is only about a 25% chance that it will be the right one. So currently I'm restarting several times until it's right.

Looking for a better solution...

Copy the binary to "xclock2" or some such thing. That apparently changes the Name, Icon Name, and Resource, though not the Class.
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloim wrote:

To answer my own question:
Add a title to the xclocks command line
Code:
-title 'time'

and swallow that instead of 'xclock'

On the apps not dragging with the mouse, I've noticed it with gkrellm, and xine.

Both are (were) being displayed without window decorations (title bar, borders, etc). Currently not using opaque window moving. I think that option and the non-decorated state of those apps are what caused the "problem" for me.

Not sure if it does it with opaque window moving on.
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: fvwm-crystal InformationBar Reply with quote

I'm using Fvwm-Crystal 20040919 and having some trouble with the InformationBox.

I have GKrellM set to pass warnings to the InformationBox. The cpu, mem, and swap warnings appear correctly, but for the hourly chime I'm attempting to pass a variable and it is not working. Here is my command:
Code:
FvwmCommand "InformationBox The time is `date +%l:%M`"

This works perfectly when I type that into a terminal window, it shows up in the InformationBox as the time in the proper format; but when I cut-n-paste that exact command into GKrellM2's hourly chime command it returns as a literal rather then as the time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

P.S. - Kudos on a great release, Harnir, it's too bad people liked the old layout better. I definitely think your devel layout is more convenient, keep up the great work!
harnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: fvwm-crystal InformationBar Reply with quote

gabe-kai wrote:
I have GKrellM set to pass warnings to the InformationBox. The cpu, mem, and swap warnings appear correctly, but for the hourly chime I'm attempting to pass a variable and it is not working. Here is my command:
Code:
FvwmCommand "InformationBox The time is `date +%l:%M`"

This works perfectly when I type that into a terminal window, it shows up in the InformationBox as the time in the proper format; but when I cut-n-paste that exact command into GKrellM2's hourly chime command it returns as a literal rather then as the time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

Maybe GKrellM Doesn't run it in a shell, so the date cannot expand itself? I'm just guessing here ;)
Try to put this line in a small script and launch it from the GKrellM instead.
Quote:
P.S. - Kudos on a great release, Harnir, it's too bad people liked the old layout better. I definitely think your devel layout is more convenient, keep up the great work!

Thanks :) Well, older layouts are still there, aren't they? ;) Anyway, 'devel' layout is what it is - devel - so it will change, maybe even drastically. But you will be able to copy your version (just copy the desktops/devel into the new release), so I guess that this is a better way than change the layout with each new version...
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I installed fvwm now and I like it, but there's two things that I can't figure out.

Firstly, is there any way to add spacing between title buttons? I know it's possible to have three buttons, the first right-aligned, the second left-aligned, and the third centred, but if I do that I can't get it to check if I actually clicked the button. Also, the only way I know how to do that would mean I have to increase the title bar height as well. Any ideas?

Secondly, I'm using wxMusik (0.3.1.5), and its tray icon will always open in a window of their own. (It's really a problem with wxGTK, from what I could find, not with wxMusik.) I can live with that; I just swallow the tray window. The tray icon window gets destroyed and recreated when wxMusik changes to the next song, though, and sometimes FvwmButtons won't swallow the newly created tray icon window.
Code:
*BarButtons: (1x2, Title "wxMusik", Swallow (NoClose, Respawn, UseOld) "taskbar icon" Nop)
Is there another way to swallow it that doesn't have this problem?
Update: I forgot Style "taskbar icon" NeverFocus, WindowListSkip (d'oh). It seems to work well enough now. Will this keep working, or have I just been lucky so far?
Update 2: Yes, I was just lucky. It happened again now :(
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harnir wrote:
Maybe GKrellM Doesn't run it in a shell, so the date cannot expand itself? I'm just guessing here Wink
Try to put this line in a small script and launch it from the GKrellM instead.

Okay, that works perfectly, and I should have thought to try that before posting, sorry and thanks!
lordan1971
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]
http://www.igs.net/~tril/fvwm
[/url]

I could have written this! The first time I was able to compile and start x, I grabbed fvwm, because I had heard ppl talk about it. I detested it. I instead fell in love with Window Maker, then blackbox, and eventually fluxbox. Played around with a bunch of other wms, but I've always been left feeling that there is something missing. Have toyed around with Gnome and KDE, but always get annoyed at them sucking up all my core.

Not too long ago, after reading up on fvwm on the forums I decided to give it another go. And *NOW* I realize what all the fuss was about. This is what I've been looking for all along. I have crafted my .fvwm2rc so that I hardly touch the mouse these days, I've got keybindings to launch all important apps, and to switch between American and Swedish keyboard layouts). And most importantly, there is nothing cluttering my screen: no panels, no icons, no applets, just a beautiful blank screen, ready to accept my apps.

Moral of the Story: if you hated fvwm at first sight, then you need to try it again.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would try taviso's setup and haven't found the iconset he used which he gave the url on the behemoth thread, page 13 I think:
Code:
snarf http://download.qnx.com/d_manager/d_man.php

I get a 403 error there now. Anyone know how to get that stuff? I searched qnx's site and turned up zilch for d_man.php. Seems I had installed it recently but don't remember if I had to find it somehow else.

cheers, Hunky
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunky wrote:
I thought I would try taviso's setup and haven't found the iconset he used which he gave the url on the behemoth thread, page 13 I think:
Code:
snarf http://download.qnx.com/d_manager/d_man.php

I get a 403 error there now. Anyone know how to get that stuff? I searched qnx's site and turned up zilch for d_man.php. Seems I had installed it recently but don't remember if I had to find it somehow else.

Your timestamp says 1:44pm, I just cut-n-pasted that snarf and it began downloading right away. 403 is forbidden... perhaps they were doing system maintenance at that time? Try again and if you can't get it send me a PM I'll make a tarball of the iconset and post a link here.
gabe-kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm running Fvwm with the stock release of Harnir's fvwm-crystal-20040919, using desktop/devel for my layout choice. If I start X manually I get the following lines standard output just prior to X starting. These lines do not show in my Xorg.0.log or in my /var/log/everything/log-$[DATE&TIME].
Code:
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such key: XF86AudioLowerVolume
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such key: XF86AudioRaiseVolume
/home/gabe/Pictures/Wallpaper/WinterScene.jpg
FvwmScript-Volume: Cause of next X error.
   Error: 2 (BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation))
   Major opcode of failed request: 53 (CreatePixmap)
   Minor opcode of failed request: 0
   Resource ID of failed request: 0x0
 Leaving a core dump now.

After X and Fvwm-Crystal load, the aumix icon does not appear. Has anyone else had this problem, and perhaps have a solution?
harnir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabe-kai wrote:
Hi, I'm running Fvwm with the stock release of Harnir's fvwm-crystal-20040919, using desktop/devel for my layout choice. If I start X manually I get the following lines standard output just prior to X starting. These lines do not show in my Xorg.0.log or in my /var/log/everything/log-$[DATE&TIME].
Code:
/home/gabe/Pictures/Wallpaper/WinterScene.jpg
FvwmScript-Volume: Cause of next X error.
   Error: 2 (BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation))
   Major opcode of failed request: 53 (CreatePixmap)
   Minor opcode of failed request: 0
   Resource ID of failed request: 0x0
 Leaving a core dump now.

After X and Fvwm-Crystal load, the aumix icon does not appear. Has anyone else had this problem, and perhaps have a solution?

Well, I can say that on my machine (Debian) this script works perfectly (sometimes FvwmScripts doesn't want to start, producing a message similar to this above, but restart helps). But I have a copule of other signals of this behaviour, and one user gave me a modified version of 'fvwm-crystal.volume' script. It doesn't want to work at my machine, but maybe it will help you:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

function print_usage
{
        printf "usage: ${0##*/} [-v value] [-f format] [-r range] [-u]\n" 1>&2
        exit 0
}

while getopts ":r:f:v:u" option
do
        case $option in
                r) range=${OPTARG};;
                f) format=${OPTARG// /\\x20};;
                v) value=${OPTARG};;
                u) print_usage;;
                *) printf "error: unknown argument %s\n" $option 1>&2;;
        esac
done

if test ! $value
then
#        ossmix vol | awk -F'[ :]' '{printf ("'${format:-"%u\n"}'", ((($(NF-1)+$(NF))/2)/100)*'${range:-100}')}'
#         aumix -vq | awk -F'[ ,]' '{printf ("'${format:-"%u\n"}'", ((($(NF-4)+$(NF-2))/2)/100)*'${range:-100}')}'
          aumix -vq | awk -v range=$range -v format=$format -F'[, ]' '{printf format, ($2+$4)/200*range}'
else
        case "${value:0:1}" in
                +) aumix vol $((`$0 -r 100`+${value:1:${#value}}));;
                -) aumix vol $((`$0 -r 100`-${value:1:${#value}}));;
                *) aumix vol $2;;
        esac
fi

And about those multimedia keys - you just don't have them [correctly configured]. They will be commented by default in the next release.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your timestamp says 1:44pm, I just cut-n-pasted that snarf and it began downloading right away. 403 is forbidden... perhaps they were doing system maintenance at that time?

Oops :oops: It was a firewall issue on my end. All better now. Thanks and I appreciate your help! cheers, Hunky
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: