Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ATI radeon Sticky (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: ATI radeon Sticky (part 2) Reply with quote

As long threads hurt the forums, the ATI radeon Sticky is continued here.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, it was getting a bit out of hand :)
Beforegod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Solution for xorg Reply with quote

Hi,

i found a solution for all users who have trouble with the garbled screen when you use the radeon driver from xorg.

The secret is gcc.
If you use gcc < 3.4 the radeon driver is broken.
Just use 3.4 and all will work fine. (using xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 with gcc-3.4.2-r1).

Cheers,
Beforegod
black hole sun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radeon sticky that isn't a sticky?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a sticky back when it was only a few pages long, but that was in May 2003 :) Maybe a mod can sticky it again?
Realmaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody get the fglrx-driver with 2.6.9_rc2 working? I didn't :(

Wer andern eine Bratwurst brät, der hat ein Bratwurstbratgerät.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the latest nitro-sources at the moment, which I think are 2.6.9_rc2 based, and I didn't have any trouble. What stopped it from working?
jfbilodeau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: fglrx working, but no 3D... Reply with quote

wedge_ wrote:
jfbilodeau: it looks like you have the same problem as giannifive. As I said above:

wrote:

it's always difficult to troubleshoot this kind of problem, since there's no obvious error. Try setting "UseFastTLS" to "2" in your xorg.conf, and try swapping your kernel AGP configuration (ie if it's currently compiled as modules, try it builtin).

I've tried that and it doesn't work :(. What would you recommend I do to troubleshoot this problem? (I'm sorry if I've missed the answer to that question in the previous 76 pages of the ATI sticky :oops:)
SirPreme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, but OpenGL programs hangup after a short while (tuxracer: 5-6 mins, Armagetron usually 10 secs). The only solution is pressing the reset button then. Does anyone know how to solve this?

My computer:

VIA KT400 chipset
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2500+
Kernel 2.4
giannifive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfbilodeau: I've tried this fix http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1332531235&postcount=1 for the signal 11 problem, but it doesn't fix the problem. Have you tried it?

I get the mtrr kernel errors they mention:

Code:
mtrr: 0xe0000000,0x4000000 overlaps existing 0xe0000000,0x1000000
[fglrx:firegl_addmap] *ERROR* mtrr allocation failed (-22)
[fglrx] free  AGP = 256126976
[fglrx] max   AGP = 256126976
[fglrx] free  LFB = 40951808
[fglrx] max   LFB = 40951808
[fglrx] free  Inv = 0
[fglrx] max   Inv = 0
[fglrx] total Inv = 0
[fglrx] total TIM = 0
[fglrx] total FB  = 0
[fglrx] total AGP = 65536

I tried both fixes mentioned on the page and neither fixes either the signal 11 problem or the mtrr problem...
Realmaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange: glxgears works, but when i change the resolution to 1280x1024 in UT2004 my monitor starts flickering, so i cand hardly see anything and a few secons later the game quits. :(

Realmaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i got it working, but it's hardly playable :(

azcoder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with an Inspiron XPS and the ATI Radeon Mobility 9800 - the latest fglrx v3.12.0......work!!!!

BTW, I am using Xorg.

To get it running I had to set the resolution to 1920x1200 and use LVDS as the display type. Without the res setting, the screen "goes nuclear" when X starts. ctl-alt-backspc will kill X.

Finally I can get off Windows again (been stuck there since getting this new laptop. Ahhhhh, bash, emacs, and gcc, I have missed you....)

:-)

Question - I am getting about 2500 fps in glxgears - is that a decent score?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glxgears isn't great for judging performance, but that score sounds pretty good.

@SirPreme: are you using the driver or kernel AGP support? (ie what is "UseInternalAGPGART" set to?) What driver version? You might want to try a 2.6 kernel as well.
melange
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Radeon 9600 Reply with quote

Yesterday i upgraded to Xorg 6.8 and I'm not even close to get 3D acceleration (Radeon 9600) to work. I read in another thread that there - at the moment - isn't any way to fix it :(
However, if one of you gurus - someday in the future - find a solution, please post a HOWTO :)

thanks in advance

melange
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem with the drivers themselves as far as I know. Hopefully the next release from ATI will fix things. Until then, you may as well stick with version 6.7.0 if you want 3D accel.
jfbilodeau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Back to square one, but moving forward! Reply with quote

Hey all,

I fixed the MTRR errors I was getting with my Radeon M9 (Thanks for the tip, giannifive!).

However, I still can't run X with the fglrx driver if GLX is turned on. Everything else is working fine.

The only two errors I can spot in my logs are:

Xorg.0.log:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

And from daemon.log:
Code:
Sep 20 15:55:33 kain gdm[8289]: Failed to start X server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0
Sep 20 15:55:34 kain init: Activating demand-procedures for 'A'
Sep 20 15:55:38 kain gdm[8712]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Sep 20 15:55:41 kain gdm[8767]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Sep 20 15:55:48 kain gdm[8821]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Sep 20 15:55:54 kain gdm[8874]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Sep 20 15:55:54 kain gdm[8711]: deal_with_x_crashes: Running the XKeepsCrashing script

I'm not sure what's the relation between the gdm error and GLX...

I've tried all sorts of kernel options (ie: agp on/off, modules, no framebuffer, etc), recompiled the drivers and org-x11 but I still can't get fglrx to start X with GLX.

In the logs, fglrx seems to load without errors.

Any suggestion as to what else I should look at?

Thanks!
SirPreme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"@SirPreme: are you using the driver or kernel AGP support? (ie what is "UseInternalAGPGART" set to?) What driver version? You might want to try a 2.6 kernel as well.

UseInternalAGPGART is set to 0
Driver version is 3.12, but many games (like tuxracer) currently don't even start with that so I can say for sure that it happens to the 3.9.x drivers.

Some time ago I was using Mandrake with a 2.6 kernel - the same problem.
vord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt know where else to post this, so here goes:

my laptop is a Dell SmartStep 250N, AGP chipset is Intel i845, on-board AGP graphics card is ATI Radeon Mobility M6. My kernel version is 2.4.27.

I would like to be able to use X, lol.

Now that XFree is "deprecated" im having major issues with xorg-x11. After many hours spent getting it to be compatible with hardened-gcc, i still cannot startx. i have both gcc-3.3.4 and gcc-3.4.1 [hardened] installed in case i need to compile something with a different version. i do know [at least] that the issue is probably not related to hardened GCC anymore.

i dont play games or anything, but i would like to have it such that i can play intense games if i ever chose to. for now though, i would settle for getting X to start. hopefully i have provided enough information here to get help. thanks.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfbilodeau: I don't know why it's failing like that, so I'm not sure what to suggest to try and fix it. If you usually use gdm, does it make any difference if you stop it running and try "startx" from a console?

SirPreme: are you sure it's not a heat problem? What stops the games from starting with the 3.12.0 driver?

vord wrote:
i dont play games or anything, but i would like to have it such that i can play intense games if i ever chose to. for now though, i would settle for getting X to start. hopefully i have provided enough information here to get help. thanks.

Well, you didn't really give any information about your problem :) If you're having trouble starting X, post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log from just after you run startx.
vord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone has a way of getting xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 to work with radeon mobility m6 in 2.4.27, id like to hear it. as for "my" problem ... well ive had EVERY problem [literally] related to this card and this version of xorg-x11 that i no longer care to investigate the problem and work backwards to a solution. tell me a way that works and ill do that. it seems to make more sense that way.
criis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 6.8 i a good idea with the radeon drivers. For me it hard locks X if I do anything with opengl even fglrxinfo. If I were you I would roll back to 6.7.
vord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by "radeon drivers"? in-kernel drivers? x11-drm drivers? ati binary drivers? in-xorg-x11 drivers?

im using mobility m6 which is not supported [according to Wedges FAQ] by the ati-binary drivers. the rest of the mentioned drivers all error out in their own particular way. rolling back only makes sense for those people who have a card supported by the binary drivers, if i understand correctly.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems with 6.8.0 criis mentioned only affect the ATI binary driver, which as you say doesn't support your card anyway.

Quote:
tell me a way that works and ill do that. it seems to make more sense that way.

I'd rather find out what the problem is first, but anyway, have you tried the Gentoo docs? For example: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml.
SirPreme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SirPreme: are you sure it's not a heat problem? What stops the games from starting with the 3.12.0 driver?"

I got the games working with 3.12. And (apart from the fact that there are strange lines in the screen) I had the same problem.

It could be a heating problem, since
a) when I updated the windows ati drivers (catalyst) I had the same problem, but I didn't try that very long (just used the system recovery tool).

but
1.) my original windows drivers work for all my windows games. So how do I solve a heating problem in linux (if it is one)? Is there any possibility to scale down the frequency or something like that? What can I do?

EDIT: I did a mistake. UseInternalAGPGART is set to YES!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37

Jump to: