View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hocmin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: /var/lib/gdm does not exist Reply with quote

Hi,

Hard drive crashed recently so I had to get a new one and do a fresh install. I'm no linux guru, but I think I followed the instructions pretty well and at the end I did an "emerge gnome" and "emerge gdm". In /etc/rc.conf I've got DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" and XSESSION="Gnome". Problem is, when I boot up, I go straight to command line login, no GUI. I logged in a root and tried running "gdm" but get an error saying the Server Authorization directory is set to /var/lib/gdm but this does not exist.

I've checked, and it's right, there is no /var/lib/gdm directory. Problem is, I have no clue what the /var/lib/gdm directory is supposed to be or why it's not showing up. Is there another emerge I'm supposed to do? I've run an etc-update, so I don't think any of my config files are out of date, and it's a fresh install so I don't think I've messed with anything too much.

Thanks for any help
alctraz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got exactly the same problem
just create the directory and it should work (it worked ofr me)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: