Advice Needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lentwb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Advice Needed Reply with quote

I have a supermicro server with dual piii 1 gig procersers 768 meg of eec ram 60 gig wd ide hd as the board does not have an agp slot i am stuck with pci video cards (still trying t find one that works well) .

I have installed grntoo on this sys now 4 times each time getting a bit better and have learned more about linux in general over the past 2 weeks than i have in the last 5 years with redhat and other distros
my questions is this :

1 when i do an install the make.conf only has
flags for CFLAGS CXXFLAGS these i have set for the pentium3
then there is the fetch section that i have not used any of
is this the standard make.conf if it is then i havent understood the install instructions very well (my fault not the writers i find the install guide very well written and easy to follow ) but where are all the use flags at

2 as this server is going to be a web server samba server and a mail server that i want to run a php based groupware on how do i find out what to emerge after the install

thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and help
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Needed Reply with quote

lentwb wrote:
1 when i do an install the make.conf only has
flags for CFLAGS CXXFLAGS these i have set for the pentium3
then there is the fetch section that i have not used any of
is this the standard make.conf if it is then i havent understood the install instructions very well (my fault not the writers i find the install guide very well written and easy to follow ) but where are all the use flags at

The default make.conf is mostly only comments. The things that you should change are: CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS (which are linked together) and possibly the USE variables. You shouldn't change the USE variables unless you need something specific in your system. Here you can find the available USE variables.

lentwb wrote:
2 as this server is going to be a web server samba server and a mail server that i want to run a php based groupware on how do i find out what to emerge after the install

You can explore the /usr/portage directory to see all the interesting apps Gentoo has. For the web server, you can emerge apache, and you can use "emerge -s" to search for the other stuff you need to install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: