NVidia and MMTRs Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: NVidia and MMTRs Problems Reply with quote

New installation of Gentoo Linux 1.4rc1 with gentoo-sources kernel. Trying to get X running with a new ASUS video card with NVidia TI4200-8X chipset and 256 Meg memory. Tried NVidia drivers suggested in desktop setup. Since I have Red Hat installed, I checked that XF86Config file. Red Hat is just using the "vesa" driver, but it's working. Tried this in Gentoo with no luck.

Noticed with either driver the log file has the message "(WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs". Looked around the kernel config screen and searched the threads. Is this a kernel option? How do I turn it on? Found one thread with the same problem, but it was in German. I have enough trouble with English. :)

Mikey
guidodev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a kernel option. Look under "Processor Type and Features".
Mikey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guidodev. Found the option and turned it on.

I seem to have a problem with my Microsoft Optical USB mouse. When entering "startx", I briefly get the nVidia logo screen and then X exits and/or crashes. The log file says my mouse can't be found. There is no /dev/input directory. Looking at the instructions in the desktop setup guide:

"The first thing that has to be done is the installation of the kernel modules. The modules that will be needed for a USB mouse to work are usbmouse, mousedev, hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, and input. After the necessary kernel configuration is done, insmod the modules."

What is the "necessary kernel configuration"? I'm doing a modprobe on these modules, but can't find any of them.

Another question: When I do the make kernel command shown in the installation guide does the nvidia-kernel source get recompiled? Do I have to add a step to recompile this source?

Mikey
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:
Thanks guidodev. Found the option and turned it on.

I seem to have a problem with my Microsoft Optical USB mouse. When entering "startx", I briefly get the nVidia logo screen and then X exits and/or crashes. The log file says my mouse can't be found. There is no /dev/input directory. Looking at the instructions in the desktop setup guide:

"The first thing that has to be done is the installation of the kernel modules. The modules that will be needed for a USB mouse to work are usbmouse, mousedev, hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, and input. After the necessary kernel configuration is done, insmod the modules."

What is the "necessary kernel configuration"? I'm doing a modprobe on these modules, but can't find any of them.

Another question: When I do the make kernel command shown in the installation guide does the nvidia-kernel source get recompiled? Do I have to add a step to recompile this source?

Mikey
yes you do need to emerge unmerge nvidia-kernel; emerge nvidia-kernel
its the safe way
make bzImage doesnst affect the nvidia kernel "compilation"

necessary kernel configuration means that you should have those mentioned modules compiled as modules when builiding your kenrel. selecet m on those.
theres a section called "USB devices" i think most of them will be found there.
then modprobe or insmod all the modules after you booted with your new fancy kernel :)
if you cant find the options in the menusystem
you can search for it in .config
nano .config when you are in /usr/src/linux and ctrl+w usbcore if you want that then put an m for it ;)

Get lost before you get shot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: