Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Got it working but my sound is all fkdup?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Got it working but my sound is all fkdup? Reply with quote

I am getting ready to install quake3 in linux and I have the linuxq3apoint-1.31.x86.run needed to do this. How do I get the run file to start? Is it "./linuxq3apoint-1.31.x86.run" in the terminal. I havn't even started yet but I figure I will run into problems so I should go ahead and start a thread. I have read the other q3a posts and will look there if I have same problems.

Last edited by FINITE on Mon May 27, 2002 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Quake3 Reply with quote

chmod a+x linuxq3apoint-1.31.x86.run
./linuxq3apoint-1.31.x86.run

Have fun :)
radfaraf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got it right just make sure to chmod +x it ;)
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got it isntalled and it runs fine I just need to get my sound working with it now. I havn't seen anything posted with people having problems with sound but i will look. I get no sound at all though and my sound does work. I have oss installed and xmms works fine pointed to /dev/dsp0. I read that quake3 is trying to use /dev/dsp. That would not work for xmms so I pointed it to dsp0. Is there a way to tell quake3 to use dsp1? Thanks.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, wierd stuff going on here. I have all of the dsp's listed in my /dev/ directory but only dsp0 works for anything. Could this be caused by the intergrated sound that I have? Its the infamous via8233a south bridge. So I (using the q3a config file) pointed q3a to dsp0 and the I got sound in q3a but it sounds like crap. I mean really crappy. The sounds skips and is delayed big time. I tried changing the khz going all the wa up to 192khz and that did not help at all. I tried changing the sound speed in there to 1 from 0 and that caused me to not have any shound at all. I am listening to "Blurry" right now with xmms and it sounds great. I do not understand why sound in q3a sounds so bad man. Its bad enough that I would rather not have shound at all! Well any help wpuld be appreciated. Ohh one more thing I am using the share ware version of the oss driver "thing" but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I also have the arts sound server disabled so that would not be interfearing. The wierdest thing about this is that dsp1-7 does nothing at all for sound. Even if I point xmms to anything besides dsp0 I get not sound. Thanks.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe make a symlink from /dev/dsp0 that points to /dev/dsp ? It's just a suggestion, I wouldn't really know, since I do have /dev/dsp and I use ALSA for sound.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: