Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerlinTheWizard wrote:
Pretty cool, that worked on my box with ck-sources (2.6.8.1-r6).

Just one thing: when I switch the box off, after leaving X, the console is all garbage. Using nvidia driver for X and the vesafb for the framebuffer... any idea?

I had this problem too, make sure that the ck-sources have the latest fbsplash and vesafb-tng driver. I have not had this problem since I have been using the most recent of these, ck is sometimes slow getting these new patches in, fbsplash anyways
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlooM wrote:
I have everything working properly except for one thing,
while booting or rebooting i get random characters all over the screen.
If i enter the framebuffer after booting from X everythings ok.
Here's a screenshot:
http://img83.exs.cx/img83/4884/splash.png

Im booting using grub, heres the line:
Code:
title=Gentoo
root=(hd0,2)
kernel=(hd0,2)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:pmipal,ywrap,1024x768-16@60 gentoo=nodevfs splash=silent,theme:emergence
initrd=/boot/initrd-emergence-1024x768

Help !

Edit: I've done some testing, verbose and silent are both borked,
but everythings ok if I boot without bootsplash, theme or gensplash bug ?

Are you using a 2.6.9-rc1 based kernel, ie love-sources? I have experienced this as well, it has something to do with some of the -mm branch patches to the vanilla kernel.
TheWoopWoop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk072 wrote:
TheWoopWoop wrote:
Mr. Atoz wrote:

One other question to spock or whoever...The splashutils 0.9_pre07 has a dependancy of baselayout 1.10.4, which in turn has a dependancy of sysvinit. After the emerge of all packages, I ran etc-update, and did a -5, because I had not modified any of the listed files. I figured, go with the new stuff. Now, my shell environment is a bit whacked, no color prompts and some strange keymap stuff. Is this by design of the new layout, or simply because it is still masked and not complete? Has init been taken out of baselayout and maintained in a separate package now? :? :? :?

Thanks---

Having the same issue myself and I'm wondering what the solution is...

I also have this problem. I know its because of an update to /etc/profile. I saved my old /etc/profile just in case. Using the old version, the shell environment works fine, but the new version screws everything up. I think the colors are not disabled on purpose but I don't understand why.

Emerging the latest bash 3.0-r5 fixes everything.
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
GlooM wrote:
I have everything working properly except for one thing,
while booting or rebooting i get random characters all over the screen.
If i enter the framebuffer after booting from X everythings ok.
Here's a screenshot:
http://img83.exs.cx/img83/4884/splash.png

Im booting using grub, heres the line:
Code:
title=Gentoo
root=(hd0,2)
kernel=(hd0,2)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:pmipal,ywrap,1024x768-16@60 gentoo=nodevfs splash=silent,theme:emergence
initrd=/boot/initrd-emergence-1024x768

Help !

Edit: I've done some testing, verbose and silent are both borked,
but everythings ok if I boot without bootsplash, theme or gensplash bug ?

Are you using a 2.6.9-rc1 based kernel, ie love-sources? I have experienced this as well, it has something to do with some of the -mm branch patches to the vanilla kernel.

Yes, love-sources-2.6.9_rc1 it is, are gentoo-dev-sources good ?
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure because ZI havent tried them but they will work better than love for now.
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched to gentoo-dev-sources, everything is working perfectly. :D
All i need now is some good themes :twisted:
MerlinTheWizard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
MerlinTheWizard wrote:
Pretty cool, that worked on my box with ck-sources (2.6.8.1-r6).

Just one thing: when I switch the box off, after leaving X, the console is all garbage. Using nvidia driver for X and the vesafb for the framebuffer... any idea?

I had this problem too, make sure that the ck-sources have the latest fbsplash and vesafb-tng driver. I have not had this problem since I have been using the most recent of these, ck is sometimes slow getting these new patches in, fbsplash anyways

Ok, I manually applied the vesafb-tng patch (which is not included in ck-sources), modified my kernel boot line and it's much better now, but not quite right. When switching from X to FB, now the image is *almost* ok, but it does "vibrate" a lot (whereas it doesn't when FB is being used before switching to X). I have a NVidia FX5200, maybe it's not very well supported (I have heard of some trouble with the 5900?). But I think we're getting there soon. Nice work anyway! With all that and the fact my Audigy LS is now supported in ALSA, I'm finally running a "media box" under Gentoo Linux, connected to my stereo and TV set...
:mrgreen:
ivan300
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little problem the bootsplash is working somewhat. When i boot right after grub i can see the console then a few seonds later i can see the bootspash for a few seconds then it goes back to the console. really wierd
Artherio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gensplash seems to be working perfect for me except that the semi-transparent box that it supposed to go around/under the text does not appear on my machine. Do I just need to do something to turn this on?
mercurator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm migrating from bootsplash to gensplash and I cannot get gensplash to work on centrino laptop, radeon 9600 and 1400x1050 LCD. Here's what I did:

- I emerged gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r3 and configured it in the way I did for bootsplash, only with some minor adjustments that are in this howto
- then I removed bootsplash from default runlevel and unmerged it.
- I've emerged gensplash, successfully.
- then set up initrd and grub as in this howto

The result is that I cannot boot. After grub starts loading kernel I get some sort of framebuffer and in the background a heavily distorted picture of emergence splash. Silent mode doesn't show up; in verbose mode it is the same. The boot stops with a kernel panic about not being able to mount root fs.

Here's my grub.conf

Code:
root=(hd0,0)
kernel=(hd0,0)/kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda2 video=radeonfb:1400x1050-32@60 splash=silent,theme:emergence
initrd=(hd0,0)/fbsplash_initrd

I've tried also with vesafb-tng instead of radeonfb, but the result is the same. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do?
knefas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works fine here.
Only a little note: if I press F2 to go in silent mode...everything is missed up as, you know...as only a fb with green and red spots everywere can be! :)

If I don't press F2 everything simply rocks :)
Hollow
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it known when splashutils will compile against 2.6.9(_rc1)? my speedstep driver is only working since 2.6.9-rc1, but splashutils cannot compile because of incomplete type of modelist (see above), i tried to put the asterisk in front of modelist but this messed up the kernel make, so i deleted the asterisk again, now splashutils gives me seg faults... also tried the brand new pre09 of splashutils, but it's the same... :(

edit: btw: do you know of any 1280x800 theme? i made my own out of the gentoo theme, but i cannot test it...

Last edited by Hollow on Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercurator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alleluja!!! Got it working. For anyone using ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, you should got to Device Drivers --> Graphich support --> and there enable vesa-tng. Most imporantly, do NOT enable ATI Radeon display support! Even if you bootup with video=vesafb, it won't work, unless you disable ati radeon display support. Having vesa and radeon display enabled, it will only screw-up your kernel. I also faild to get gensplash to work with ati radeon display support enabled ( and vesa disabled ). Anyway, vesafb-tng is the way to go with these cards!

There is one thing I would like to ask; I don't know if everything is working 100%, since I've seen no screenshots of gensplash. Bootsplash used to have a one-pixel wide border between the background and the box, which somehow gave the "inserted" 3D efect. Is this also in gensplash and mine isn't working or is the border disabled (or unsupported) in gensplash?

George
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollow wrote:
is it known when splashutils will compile against 2.6.9(_rc1)? my speedstep driver is only working since 2.6.9-rc1, but splashutils cannot compile because of incomplete type of modelist (see above), i tried to put the asterisk in front of modelist but this messed up the kernel make, so i deleted the asterisk again, now splashutils gives me seg faults... also tried the brand new pre09 of splashutils, but it's the same... :(

I had it compiled successfuly under 2.6.9-rc1, first compile kernel, then edit the fb.h file, compile splashutils, change the fb.h back to normal.
That worked for me and the majority.
Hollow
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mercurator wrote:
Alleluja!!! Got it working. For anyone using ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, you should got to Device Drivers --> Graphich support --> and there enable vesa-tng. Most imporantly, do NOT enable ATI Radeon display support! Even if you bootup with video=vesafb, it won't work, unless you disable ati radeon display support. Having vesa and radeon display enabled, it will only screw-up your kernel. I also faild to get gensplash to work with ati radeon display support enabled ( and vesa disabled ). Anyway, vesafb-tng is the way to go with these cards

this sucks! vesafb-tng is not working in 1280x800 for me (or i don't know how to ;)), so this sounds like i have to run my fb in 1024x768 :(
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mercurator wrote:
Alleluja!!! Got it working. For anyone using ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, you should got to Device Drivers --> Graphich support --> and there enable vesa-tng. Most imporantly, do NOT enable ATI Radeon display support! Even if you bootup with video=vesafb, it won't work, unless you disable ati radeon display support. Having vesa and radeon display enabled, it will only screw-up your kernel. I also faild to get gensplash to work with ati radeon display support enabled ( and vesa disabled ). Anyway, vesafb-tng is the way to go with these cards!

There is one thing I would like to ask; I don't know if everything is working 100%, since I've seen no screenshots of gensplash. Bootsplash used to have a one-pixel wide border between the background and the box, which somehow gave the "inserted" 3D efect. Is this also in gensplash and mine isn't working or is the border disabled (or unsupported) in gensplash?

George

You can specify the inner box size in config files ( /etc/splash/yourtheme/resolution.cfg )
Hollow
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlooM wrote:
I had it compiled successfuly under 2.6.9-rc1, first compile kernel, then edit the fb.h file, compile splashutils, change the fb.h back to normal.

ok, thanx! it works now with vesafb-tng... does anybody know how to get vesafb-tng in 1280x800?
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could try writing your own config ? Shouldn't be too complicated.
And get some apropriate size pics.

Sorry, thought you were asking about a theme in 1280x800,
doesn't video=vesafb:1280x800-16@60 work ?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this working on another computer, but when tried at home the 'framebuffer device' I used wasn't the correct one. Tried the FB_RIVA
cause didn't find anything else that might work with a Nvidia 6800.

It seemed to work at first, except the progress bar wasn't there. Hit F2 cause forgot to emerge the nvidia-kernel for the new linux-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 kernel and wanted to see if telling me anything during dmesg. It won't compile with the rivafb, says conflicts with the nvidia-kernel (6111). Not sure if that is why the progress bar was missing or not. But have another problem right now.

Anyone know if there is a framebuffer device to use with a Nvidia 6800 video card?

– Steven Wright
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decibels wrote:
Got this working on another computer, but when tried at home the 'framebuffer device' I used wasn't the correct one. Tried the FB_RIVA
cause didn't find anything else that might work with a Nvidia 6800.

It seemed to work at first, except the progress bar wasn't there. Hit F2 cause forgot to emerge the nvidia-kernel for the new linux-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 kernel and wanted to see if telling me anything during dmesg. It won't compile with the rivafb, says conflicts with the nvidia-kernel (6111). Not sure if that is why the progress bar was missing or not. But have another problem right now.

Anyone know if there is a framebuffer device to use with a Nvidia 6800 video card?

Use vesafb-tng, it should work properly.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I had that compiled in also, will try removing the rivafb and leave the other. Let you know. Thanks :D

– Steven Wright
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlooM wrote:
Hollow wrote:

Not totally clear on your steps here.

Is this what you're saying?

1. Modify fb.h with pointer*
2. Compile kernel
3. Boot into rebuilt kernel and compile splashuitls
4. Change fb.h BACK to its original state
GlooM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck42 wrote:
GlooM wrote:
Hollow wrote:

Not totally clear on your steps here.

Is this what you're saying?

1. Modify fb.h with pointer*
2. Compile kernel
3. Boot into rebuilt kernel and compile splashuitls
4. Change fb.h BACK to its original state

No :
1. Compile kernel normally, boot into it.
2. Modify fb.h , emerge splashutils.
3. Change fb.h back to original.
Gentist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting fbsplash, splashutils and vesafb-tng to work on my main computer, I tried to install it on my laptop. Though that didn't really work for some reason. I went through the same steps as I did on my main computer, though it freezes at bootup, saying something about "via irq fixup".

I'm suspecting my graphics card is complaining (it froze sometimes with bootsplash too, though not everytime as it does now).

I'm using ck-sources-2.6.8.1-r6 with the latest vesafb patch (vesafb-tng-0.9-rc4-r2-2.6.8.1.patch)... I'm guessing that the problem actually lies in vesafb, though I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what's wrong/how to fix this?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, nvidia-kernel compiled now that removed the rivafb. Still not getting the progress bar. Reinstalled splashutils and will see how that works.

– Steven Wright
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 12 of 29

Jump to: