I think I screwed something up running etc-update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: I think I screwed something up running etc-update Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering if anyone could try to help out a newbie. I did an etc-update and unfortunatly for the first few files I didn't know what I was doing and updated them anyways :oops: . Now when gentoo is loading up I get a bunch of errors. I cant tell what some of them are because it goes too fast and I cant find any logs that relates to the boot up. But of the few messages I do see it says: Services missing and tells me run ./metalog broken. And this goes on for a few things including modules and clock. And I have to manually load modules each time I reboot because they dont load automatically even though I have it set up in modules.autoload. Also when I try to run ./metalog broken or ./modules broken, it tells me file doesn't exist.

thanks for any help
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: starters Reply with quote

For starters, you could re-do your metalog:

Code:
# emerge -e app-admin/metalog

Then, when you update your config files, do it carefully so as not to make whatever error you did the first time.

Also, to help you diagnose your problem:

First, create an empty file.

Code:
# touch myfile

*where "myfile" is the name of the file you want to create

Then, take the output of the command of dmesg (which prints out a complete log of all messages printed to the screen during bootup) and pipe it into your newly created file:

Code:
# dmesg | cat > myfile

*that verticle line is a pipe, located to the right of the plus sign on most keyboards.

Then, open your file with your favorite editor (vi, vim, etc. nano is my favorite).

Code:
# nano -w myfile

This can help you diagnose the problem, and give you more specific information to post here for help.

I hope this helps. :wink:

P.S. See man pages:
man nano
man touch
man cat
man dmesg
Dave0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, but it didn't seem to help =(. I don't know why my modules wont autoload either, which is the biggest pain. Does anyone know which file in /etc refers to things started at boot? Perhaps a sym link was broken somewhere? Also unfortunatly dmesg doesn't show the errors I got during boot up. Any other ideas?
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave0 wrote:
Does anyone know which file in /etc refers to things started at boot?

I think modules.autoload - something like that. (I'm at an evil MS box right now).

To correct things, I think it would be useful for you to pull out the install documentation, and then go throught the steps (not the emerge steps, the configure ones) after you chroot into the new system. That will remind you of what those base configuration files are, as well as give you some hints as to what they should look like.
Dave0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through the files and I think the problems might be in /etc/init.d Im not sure though but that is where all the files are that are getting errors, such as modules, metalog, clock, etc... Not too sure though what to do.
Dave0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm perhaps I found it? I was checking out other threads on here and someone had a slightly similar problem. I was just wondering what is in the /etc/conf.d/local.start. Is it supposed to be empty? If not could anyone supply a sample one? If this isn't the cause I have no idea what could be.

Thanks
Dave
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave0 wrote:
I was just wondering what is in the /etc/conf.d/local.start
Things that you want to run at startup. It contains only comments by default.
Dave0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I guess that file is ok then. I just wish I could see what the error message was when gentoo was booting up. dmesg only gives the info right before to when the error message occurs. Nothing past it.

Perhaps someone can figure something out from this? For some reason when I rebooted, I tried to stop the boot process and thought maybe ctrl+c did something, because I heard it mentioned earlier, it didnt stop anything but for some reason when I did that I didnt get any errors and the modules were actually autoloaded that time. I thought maybe that fixed it but when I rebooted same problem happened, errors, claiming services were missing. But now when I hit ctrl+c, it doesnt boot into gentoo. Dont know what happened the first time to make it work perfectly.

Thanks for any help
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/fstab, do you still have the correct mount points?
/etc/modules.autoload, are you missing some modules?

TuxFriend
Dave0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah fstab is good, when I ran etc-update I noticed it overwrote my fstab so I filled it back in the way it should. I have all the modules I want loaded set in modules.autoload but it seems it never gets a chance to load them. I guess I will have to do yet another reinstall if I cant fix it, maybe I should use the vanilla sources this time.
axafluff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: ctrl+s and ctrl+q to suspend and continue the boot scripts. Reply with quote

To see what error messages you get during the boot-up scripts try pressing ctrl+s to suspend and then ctrl+q to continue. I used this to debug some script dependency problem and it worked when nothing was logged to metalog.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: