emu10k1 volume rises by itself?????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: emu10k1 volume rises by itself????? Reply with quote

I have a set of default settings for the volume but every time I start a new application (sox, mpg123, mpg321, ogg123) the volume controls go up by themselves (to the same level each time, not to some random level.

Any clues on what could cause this?

the sox, mpg123 and mpg321 all access through the /dev/dsp control while ogg123 access through /dev/sound/pcmXXX....
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, are you using OSS or ALSA? ALSA will save your sound volumes at shutdown and restore them at startup, but OSS will not. Also, what program do you use to set your sound volumes? Can you verify that your volumes are actually being set with a second mixer app?

And I think in gentoo, the /dev/dsp is actually a link to a deeper device file, which OGG is probably using directly.
Sam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunblade wrote:
First, are you using OSS or ALSA?

both
mpg123 knows nothing about ALSA yet so I'm using the OSS emulation. mpg321 has distortion with ALSA so I'm using the OSS output option.
ogg123 uses alsa natively

In all cases what seems to happen is the application opens its required audio device and sets the volumes to what it wants, throwing away my settings. Each application is _ACTING AS IF_ it has some built-in defaults _OR_ ALSA is invisibly restoring some default associated with each device. So if mpg123 opens /dev/dsp, either mpg123 or ALSA has stored defaults for /dev/dsp somewhere, I know not where, and is restoring them.

I can restore MY defaults with
$alsactl restore

I'm not talking about changes between boots, I'm talking about running different applications in one session.

If I have not been clear enough, let me say it another way: it seem ALSA is not freezing the controls to MY settings. Rather, either ALSA is resetting them to application-specific defaults each time an app opens ALSA.

OR ALSA may be freezing the controls for me but each application unfreezes them and sets them to the application's preferences.

sunblade wrote:
Also, what program do you use to set your sound volumes?

alsactl and alsamixer, I can verify the volume by hearing it. : )

sunblade wrote:

And I think in gentoo, the /dev/dsp is actually a link to a deeper device file, which OGG is probably using directly.

Partially ture - Gentoo specifically has nothing to do with it - ALSA and devfs work in such a way that if you need the OSS drivers, devfs will load the appropriate modules (snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss ) and that module will create in /dev the appropriate device "/dev/dsp, /dev/mixer", which pretends to be OSS but actually just forwards the data to ALSA (in /dev/sound/.* )

sunblade wrote:
ALSA will save your sound volumes at shutdown and restore them at startup, but OSS will not. Also, what program do you use to set your sound volumes? Can you verify that your volumes are actually being set with a second mixer app?

zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm, well, I don't have any concrete solutions, but I have some ideas. Since ogg123 uses alsa natively, it probably isn't the oss layer causing the problem, but something within alsa itself, which you seem to be thinking too. And you mentioned that you can hear your volume levels, so I assume that it is only these tools that are causing the problem? All of the applications seem related in some way, except for sox, but maybe all of the apps work in a similar way to sox.

Now, if you just set your volume levels and save them then reboot, does alsa restore your volumes on startup? Perhaps for some reason your levels aren't being saved at all by alsa??? I'm not aware of any invisible defaults that alsa keeps and restores, but I'm not an alsa expert... IIRC alsa does store custom volume levels, but to be honest I don't have a clue as to what might be the root of the problem.

Sorry that I can't be of more help :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: