Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do you have a working Wine setup? You must tell us how!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Newcastle, Australia. 7487 miles south-west of America.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Do you have a working Wine setup? You must tell us how! Reply with quote

I've recently done a fresh Gentoo emerge on my shiny new Athlon64! Things are going well, even a simple "emerge mplayer" seems to support almost everything mplayer did on my x86 box!

Like most people with A64 hardware, I want to play games, including Windows games!

I've read through the AMD64 forum but haven't been able to find a definitive howto on making Wine work in Gentoo/A64.

What are my options? Are there any alternatives to a chrooted 32-bit environment? If not, what's invloved?

Post your success stories!
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way which worked painlessly for me: subscribe to Transgaming, download cedega_4.0.1-1.i386.tgz, then install it using the cedega ebuild in portage.

You'll need to have the 32-bit libraries installed, i.e. the emul-linux packages.

My system is a 3500+ with a GeForce 5900. So far I've had it running Doom 3 and Steam (half-life/counterstrike/etc) under Cedega.

One thing to note: OpenGL won't work in Wine in a chrooted environment, to the best of my knowledge. Wine requires direct rendering. (Odd, since I have Quake III/Quake II/Unreal Tournament working chrooted via the linux ports).
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Is there any way to get Cedega for free (I want to know how well it works before I give anything to Transgaming). If not a tarball, can anyone explain how to get it from CVS?

And why wouldn't OpenGL work in a chrooted environment? It's not actually emulating anything. You're using the same kernel, just different libraries. If you mount /dev in the chrooted environment I think it would work.
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm afraid you can't get Cedega for free anywhere (well, warez maybe, but that's another issue...). The CVS version is not really a good comparison, since it doesn't support copy protections and Install Shield support also lacks, for example. For a list of games supported by Cedega, see:
http://www.transgaming.com/searchgame.php

BTW, I don't really know why you would want to use a 32bit chroot - it may be good to compile stuff 32bit, but you don't really need it to run any 32bit binaries (I run XSI, Wine, Cedega, UT2004 etc, all 32bit, without chroot - no problem!). That's what the 32bit emul libraries are for. If there's something missing, just get the required library from a SUSE 9.0 or FC RPM, works fine for me...
Tsonn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doom 3 Linux HOWTO describes how to get Cedega from the CVS, but it didn't work for me.

You do have to subscribe for three months to download Cedega... but that's only £9/$15, so it's not exactly a huge amount.

To get OpenGL working from within a chroot I had to set __GL_FORCE_DIRECT=0. That means rendering goes via X (I believe), which is fine for most things but Cedega doesn't like it. If I don't set that, glxinfo (and games) just give: 'Error: glXCreateContext failed'. Yes, I have /dev mounted... if you have any suggestions which might get it working, that'd be cool :-)... but it's not a problem just now.

I've found a 32-bit chroot to be pretty handy... I guess I'm used to the luxury of having portage do all the work for me. Being able to just emerge mplayer and have all the 32-bit codecs there and working, for example...
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this copy protection stuff.

Does that mean that Cedega CVS won't work with any game that requires the CD in to be played (e.g. Battlefield 1942/Vietnam, Doom 3, Call Of Duty, etc) . How are people playing Doom 3? I heard it has paranoid copy protection.
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More or less, yes...

To play games like Doom³ with Cedega CVS, you'll need to get a crack (Doom³ uses a modified Safedisk protection, so there's a crack on the net - luckily, they didn't use Starforce). If you get the Cedega binary, you don't need any cracks - and, like I said, there's better support for quite a few installer and other improvements based on licensed code).
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well that's fine for Doom3 (until the next version, and God forbid the Linux version features any form of copyright protection), but what about multiplayer games that check your binary?
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play online and the game checks the binary, I'm afraid you'll have to pay - but hey, $5 a month is not really that expensive I think... ;-)

Oh, and by the way: I'm pretty certain that we'll see copy protection schemes on Linux soon - but maybe we're lucky, and the companies will start using stuff like FlexLM or SPM, MAC-bound license systems. That's more secure than most CD protection schemes, and you don't have to insert the CD to play (high-end apps usually use those systems)...
SorenMat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded a binary version of wine for FC from winehq.com, and followed the instruction as the link above descripes and doom3 works fine !
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I doubt it. Wine has a very subtle missing feature, PBuffers are not yet supported - so the displays in Doom³ show only noise. Cedega supports PBuffers.

You cannot really play the game that way, I'm afraid...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: