Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Realmaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a live-cd with reiser4 on it?

Wer andern eine Bratwurst brät, der hat ein Bratwurstbratgerät.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruzbeh wrote:
Can someone tell me what you exactly need for Reiser4? I can format to Reiser4 using mkfs.reiser4, but when I try to mount i get
Code:
mount -t reiser4 /dev/hda8 /mnt/gentoo
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda8,
or too many mounted file systems

I have "Reiser4" option compiled in the kernel under File Systems

I have reiser4progs and reiserfsprogs

Did I miss anything? Btw /dev/hda8 can be converted to ext2, ext3, there's nothing wrong with it AFAIK

Just the same here , I have xx-sources 2.8.1-r1 and reiser4progs 1.0.0 . I can format and mount this as reiserfs but R4 gives me the same prob as you.

Any help? 8)
Zr40
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did enable Reiser4 in the kernel, right? :)

What's 2.8.1?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ,

R4 on and 8k stacks

(oops)Linux linbox 2.6.8.1-xx1 8)
Zr40
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything interesting in dmesg?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but I have , somehow , solved the prob.!

I turned on R4 debugging in the kernel, rebuilt, rebooted and the partition mounted from its fstab entry.

I did a fsck.reiser4 without any hitch and I am now copying back portage.

I had also rebuild reiser4progs and libaal against the new xx kernel. This may have resulted in some change that was only effective on reboot.

Anyhow, looks good.

Thanks for your comments.

8)
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
No but I have , somehow , solved the prob.!

I turned on R4 debugging in the kernel, rebuilt, rebooted and the partition mounted from its fstab entry.

I did a fsck.reiser4 without any hitch and I am now copying back portage.

I had also rebuild reiser4progs and libaal against the new xx kernel. This may have resulted in some change that was only effective on reboot.

Anyhow, looks good.

Thanks for your comments.

8)

I looked up a Howto, and it said you need "Use larger keys on reiser4 tree", compiled it, now I can mount and work with reiser4. I don't have reiser4 debug options enabled now however
Cyvillian24
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Issues Reply with quote

I've been having issues with it as my storage server.

drive1, ext3, 30gb
drive2, reiser4, 200gb

I tarred up drive1

Quote:
# pwd
/media/drive1
# tar cvvf /media/drive2/stuff.tar *
<blah blah>
Done.

So the tar file is 30gb.

I unmount drive1, format & convert it to reiser4, and
Quote:

# pwd
/media/drive1
tar xvvf /media/drive2/stuff.tar

The result is only 17gb of files got extracted, yet the tar file is 30gb. Also, some of the files were not extracted, I checked with a 3rd party tar program(winrar), and did not see the files which were not extracted. I imagine they're in there because of the 13gigs unaccounted for, but I cannot see the files.

I'm wondering if this is attributed to reiser4 in any way.
Zr40
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With what is that 17GB measured? If that tar contains mostly small files, that might account for the difference in disk space usage.
Try 'diff -r /media/drive1 /media/drive2'. If diff doesn't return any output, all is fine. If it does, however, something went wrong.

Your ext3 partition had a size of 30GB. Unless that space is totally filled, the resulting tar file cannot be 30GB.

Edit:
Actually, I've misread your post. Don't do that diff ;) I assumed /media/drive2 was the new reiser4 partition where you copied data from /media/drive1 from.
Edit 2:
If you have the space, try untarring that tar file somewhere on a non-reiser4 partition and run 'diff -r /media/drive1 /somewhere' (and replace /somewhere, of course :))

Last edited by Zr40 on Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cyvillian24
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive was totally filled, 30gb in size. Also, they were mostly large files(1GB-5GB each)
Zr40
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible the files contain large areas of 'zero' bytes, so called 'sparse files'*. I've once noticed that on a ReiserFS (v3) partition, where a 400MB cache file would only take about 100MB disk space. The amount of data cached inside that file was 100MB :)
Also, please read the edits of my previous post ;)

*) My description is not totally correct, but not necessarily wrong. Use Google for information about such files.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I looked up a Howto, and it said you need "Use larger keys on reiser4 tree", compiled it, now I can mount and work with reiser4. I don't have reiser4 debug options enabled now however

That's it. I forgot that while I was in there and turned on R4 debugging I also decided that the file ordering offered by Large Keys may be useful.

This is obviously a bug since this should be an option and should not mean the partition refuses to mount if it is not selected , but R4 is a long way from release as stable to that's fair enuf. It's a pain, but that's the cost of playing with betas.

Thanks for pointing that out , now I can turn off debugging and it will probably be faster.

8)
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
Quote:

That's it. I forgot that while I was in there and turned on R4 debugging I also decided that the file ordering offered by Large Keys may be useful.

This is obviously a bug since this should be an option and should not mean the partition refuses to mount if it is not selected , but R4 is a long way from release as stable to that's fair enuf. It's a pain, but that's the cost of playing with betas.

Thanks for pointing that out , now I can turn off debugging and it will probably be faster.

8)

lol, do you even realise what you're saying? Reiser4 is already out and released, not beta or whatever
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , I stand corrected. Grovelling apologies for being so sadly stupid and ill-imformed. I hope this error has not caused anyone any personal loss or brievment. I bow to you sire.
:roll:

I have been using R4 since January and last time I looked it was regarded as unstable .

I suppose liball and reiser4progs going to 1.0.0 a few weeks back indicates it is now stable.

A link to the howto would be useful to see what the score is . Maybe there's refernce to an existing bug report. If not. one should probably be created, tho' we'll probably get shot down in flames if it is reported to gentoo.bugzilla because it's not supported by gentoo team.

8)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues Reply with quote

Cyvillian24 wrote:

The result is only 17gb of files got extracted, yet the tar file is 30gb. Also, some of the files were not extracted, I checked with a 3rd party tar program(winrar), and did not see the files which were not extracted. I imagine they're in there because of the 13gigs unaccounted for, but I cannot see the files.

I'm wondering if this is attributed to reiser4 in any way.

Looks like the archive was created badly since winrar also fails to extract what you expect. It would be more logical to blame ext3 that stored the original data than R4 that stored the archive (you maybe should have done a fsck before tarring).

If R4 had lost some part of the file I think tar would show errors when extracting.

Shame you did not spot the error before reformatting the 30G drive.

BTW R4's stong point is many small files, you should find jfs or xfs more efficient for the data you are dealing with. I think even ext3 will be faster than R4 for what you have ... altho' less safe! 8)

Last edited by Gentree on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
episode96
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
[
ext3 is not a journalling fs and is therefore less reliable.

Actually, ext3 is basically ext2 + journaling system.
dave_pretty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give any insight into how long it might for Linus to merge the Reiser4 support from the mm-sources into the main kernel? I'm rather fond of the gentoo-dev-sources kernel and would like to stick with it - I tried the mm-sources, but the cd-burning issues that came in at 2.6.8 make it kind of useless for me.
IvanHoe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zigmund555 wrote:
Anyone tried Resier4 on an AMD64?

Yes, and I'm using it right now.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

i have had a problem

i have two identical installs. one reiserfs and one reiser4. the reiser4 i get lockups on when hitting the filesystem hard

gentoo-dev-sources + reiser_date_8.26 for 2.6.8-r3

lockups ONLY when hitting filesystem hard.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_pretty wrote:
Can anyone give any insight into how long it might for Linus to merge the Reiser4 support from the mm-sources into the main kernel? I'm rather fond of the gentoo-dev-sources kernel and would like to stick with it - I tried the mm-sources, but the cd-burning issues that came in at 2.6.8 make it kind of useless for me.

I would either say never in 2.6 the way it is now, or possibly late 2004 if they drop certain interfaces.

I'm not kidding either, there's an absolutely ginormous discussion on this week's lkml:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0408.3/index.html
(look for "silent semantic changes with reiser4").

Originally Hans wanted to get it in 3-6 weeks:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0408.2/0410.html

However, once it was merged into mm, a lot of questions were raised. In any event, Reiser4 will not be in vanilla for awhile.
oberyno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
dave_pretty wrote:

I would either say never in 2.6 the way it is now, or possibly late 2004 if they drop certain interfaces.
However, once it was merged into mm, a lot of questions were raised. In any event, Reiser4 will not be in vanilla for awhile.

Yep, alot of kernel devs don't like how reiser4 does things they think should be in the VFS.

For a stable reiser4 kernel, I would recommend ck-sources. Con bases his patches off vanilla, so his patchsets don't have the random wonkiness(usb breakage, cd-burning problems, recent truncation problems, etc...) of mm-sources. Plus they have decent performance.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard lock in my system (due to APM I think) and when I booted it I could see checks for all my reiserfs 3.6 partitions in dmesg, but nothing about my reiser4 partitions:

dmesg | grep -i reiser wrote:

ReiserFS: hda9: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hda9: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: hda9: journal params: device hda9, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: hda9: checking transaction log (hda9)
ReiserFS: hda9: replayed 5 transactions in 0 seconds
ReiserFS: hda9: Using r5 hash to sort names
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
ReiserFS: dm-13: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: dm-13: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: dm-13: journal params: device dm-13, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: dm-13: checking transaction log (dm-13)
ReiserFS: dm-13: replayed 2 transactions in 0 seconds
ReiserFS: dm-13: Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS: dm-15: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: dm-15: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: dm-15: journal params: device dm-15, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: dm-15: checking transaction log (dm-15)
ReiserFS: dm-15: replayed 5 transactions in 0 seconds
ReiserFS: dm-15: Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS: dm-19: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: dm-19: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: dm-19: journal params: device dm-19, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: dm-19: checking transaction log (dm-19)
ReiserFS: dm-19: replayed 1 transactions in 0 seconds
ReiserFS: dm-19: Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS: dm-23: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: dm-23: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: dm-23: journal params: device dm-23, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
ReiserFS: dm-23: checking transaction log (dm-23)
ReiserFS: dm-23: replayed 19 transactions in 1 seconds
ReiserFS: dm-23: Using r5 hash to sort names

Should I update baselayout or anything else?
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realmaker wrote:
Is there a live-cd with reiser4 on it?

Yes, there is.
Redeeman's LiveCD.

I don't remember the address, but its always on the topic in #love-sources@freenode
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:

I'm not kidding either, there's an absolutely ginormous discussion on this week's lkml:

I just read through half of that, then I just read the Linus/Hans/Al/Christoph/Jamie messages. Hours later...

Now I've been waiting to try reiser4 out and was hoping it would make it into the vanilla kernel but it seems to have hit a road block.

Is it a wrong assumption that there are individuals/groups that don't want any reiser fs to succeed? First there were some security related claims, then there was the "you can't do that, we don't do it that way, get over it", also what seemed to be some resentment towards it's commercial support, but mostly the hold up seems to be the files as directories part.

I'm not a programmer and I don't understand what is so complicated about how reiser4 is doing things and how it doesn't work in the correct way with the current system. I see a file or directory as an object, this object either has data/information in it or it has more objects in it. If I see /etc/config/foo I just see foo, I can't tell you if foo is a file or a directory till I open it then it's obvious what it is. I know this is a simple view of the situation but it seems to have been made into an overblown situation. There seems to be a desire that all files sytems have to behave the same way so it's odd man out and the rest don't do what reiser4 does so there's not much motivation to change.

I really don't understand what it hurts to include reiser4 support in the develpment-sources so it can get some wider testing without having to test the other bleeding edge stuff that comes with the other kernel patches. There's lots of things in vanilla now that are marked experimental and some of those with a big warning about using them but they still are in the "stable" kernel.

Oh well, maybe I'll have to patch my own vanilla kernel and experience everything that's so bad and wrong with reiser4. :roll:
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
aethyr wrote:

I just read through half of that, then I just read the Linus/Hans/Al/Christoph/Jamie messages. Hours later...

Now I've been waiting to try reiser4 out and was hoping it would make it into the vanilla kernel but it seems to have hit a road block.

Is it a wrong assumption that there are individuals/groups that don't want any reiser fs to succeed? First there were some security related claims, then there was the "you can't do that, we don't do it that way, get over it", also what seemed to be some resentment towards it's commercial support, but mostly the hold up seems to be the files as directories part.

I'm not a programmer and I don't understand what is so complicated about how reiser4 is doing things and how it doesn't work in the correct way with the current system. I see a file or directory as an object, this object either has data/information in it or it has more objects in it. If I see /etc/config/foo I just see foo, I can't tell you if foo is a file or a directory till I open it then it's obvious what it is. I know this is a simple view of the situation but it seems to have been made into an overblown situation. There seems to be a desire that all files sytems have to behave the same way so it's odd man out and the rest don't do what reiser4 does so there's not much motivation to change.

I really don't understand what it hurts to include reiser4 support in the develpment-sources so it can get some wider testing without having to test the other bleeding edge stuff that comes with the other kernel patches. There's lots of things in vanilla now that are marked experimental and some of those with a big warning about using them but they still are in the "stable" kernel.

Oh well, maybe I'll have to patch my own vanilla kernel and experience everything that's so bad and wrong with reiser4. :roll:

What's the problem? Just emerge ck-sources.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: