UT graphics?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: UT graphics? Reply with quote

Any hardcore UT gamers notice less quality in the UT graphics in Linux + OpenGL vs Windows + DirectX?

If I could only make the graphics better. :) It also has some wierd problems with brightness on the lil' UT desktop.

If anyone has found a solution I'd love to hear it. :) :)

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Unfortunatly there seems to be a bit less detail in the graphics on UT ... I dont know of a way to fix this ..... You can fix the brightness problem by using the xgamma utility in your UT launcher script.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find that the graphics are that much worse in linux under opengl.
I don't have anything to compare to cause my GeForce3 on my linux box vs my ATI 128 in my Mac G4 doesn't make an even comparison and I have never played UT on that other OS :twisted:. I do have friends however who play only in windows, but their graphics don't look any better, even on better cards than mine.
As far as the funky brightness issue, I play UT with xgamma -gamma 1.4 or so, and the UT desktop is *extreamly* washed out, but the game looks good, so I don't mind, and since the game is all that really matters....
For some reason OpenGL is much darker in linux than in windows though, and for most games using it, I have to pump up my gamma.

-Andrew
TheMole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UT graphics? Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
Any hardcore UT gamers notice less quality in the UT graphics in Linux + OpenGL vs Windows + DirectX?

Actually, the linux opengl renderer is far superior in image quality and speed to the windows directx/opengl/glide renderers. Excellent work by Dan Vogel (ex-loki, now epic), and he has also backported the opengl renderer to windows.
So this is actually an example where linux had a notch over windows when it comes to commercial gaming.

But yes, there are issues, I take it u are using the ut-goty-436-install-beta.run thing (or what's it's name...). I noticed some issues running it with my Radeon 32 DDR, poly's far away seem to be textured wrong, but it's not really annoying. And yes, I too have the little visual bug in the menu backdrop.

My guess it's shabby radeon support (no disrespect to the XFree crew, they've done an EXCELLENT job!), so let's hope for some improvements in the next X.

Greetz, TheMole
deadmeat

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've also realized the lower graphics quality in UT under linux compared to windoze.
yet, i have heard of a way to enable the compressed textures from the second ut cd by copying over the texture files from this cd to your ut dir and enabling the S3TC option in the ut config file.. problem is that if i do that, all textures are replaced with ugly white ones.
Anyone knows a fix for that ?
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent played UT on linux in a long time...but i hated that...it looked muted and just baaaaad under linux...i always thought i wasnt doing something right.....x should run at 32bpp in gentoo cant it?....would this make a difference...and as far as this being a radeon thing...no it looked likethis with all the geforece cards i had at the time
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible that if you want the OpenGL renderer, that you're using the deprecated, buggy SDLGL renderer instead. You can fix this with a simple command:

cat ~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.ini | sed s/SDLGLDrv.SDLGLRenderDevice/OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice/g > ~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.ini

Of course, I just typed that command here, and didn't actually test it. You may want to back up your UnrealTournament.ini before you actually run this command, because it just might have some unintended side effects.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed from the SDL to the opengl renderer & noticed a huge improvement in the texture quality.

For some reason SDL just looks crappy.

Also I went from generic audio to alsa & it sounds heaps better. I am not sure why these are not the default settings. Still have a slightly lower frame rate to windows directx but I am pretty happy with the way it looks now. Also is there a better way to fix the AMD AGP bug than the no-pentium option ?
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool i'll have to reload UT and try it...i havent played it since i quit windows
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:
I changed from the SDL to the opengl renderer & noticed a huge improvement in the texture quality.

For some reason SDL just looks crappy.

Also I went from generic audio to alsa & it sounds heaps better. I am not sure why these are not the default settings. Still have a slightly lower frame rate to windows directx but I am pretty happy with the way it looks now. Also is there a better way to fix the AMD AGP bug than the no-pentium option ?

mem=4M should do the trick, but it probably isn't what you're looking for. nopentium will slow things down, but really not that much.

As for SDL looking crappy, the problem is not with SDL itself, but with the way UT uses it. The SDLGL driver was eventually deprecated, although I imagine it has slightly better hardware compatibility than the OpenGL driver. I'm speculating about that, but if i'm right, then that would probably be why even the 436 installer did not make the vanilla GL renderer default.

Also, somebody said something about s3tc textures not working. I assure you, they do. But among other things, it's possible that your card doesn't support them. Mine does (afaik, i'm probably wrong- GeForce 2 GTS), and i installed them quite happily. Editing the config file was as easy as grepping for "S3TC" i think.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: