Movie copyright warnings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daredevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Movie copyright warnings Reply with quote

Last night my fiance and I rented a movie, a horror, and turned off all the lights to enjoy this movie. Unfortunately the video shop didn't have any DVDs available so we rented the video tape. I put it in and pushed play. Almost instantly a copyright protection ad was shown. It was made by a group calling themselves FACT, The Federation Against Copyright Theft.

"Don't let pirates brand you with their mark", they say. Cue image of man holding red hot branding iron. "Piracy funds organised crime", they claim. They went on to claim that movie piracy will destroy all forms of entertainment, blah blah blah. I said to my fiance that they might as well claim piracy fund terrorism so all the sense they were making and then wham! "Piracy funds terrorism" they tell me.

Did I fall asleep and wake up in the 1950's? Replace terrorism with communism and you'd think you were. Now I'm all for people being fairly paid for their art, I'm fairly paid for what I do, shouldn't everyone else. But this has gone way too far. Do actors deserve $12 million a movie? Does anyone do anything that worthwhile on this earth? Do movie studios have a right to make a profit? Record profits in fact.

For these people to make this ad and all these ridiculous claims is disgusting. They are claiming to work for the greater good of society at large when their real motivation is lining their own pockets. I'm sure their next ad will include statements such as "piracy causes cancer", "piracy is contributing to the decline in oil reserves worldwide" and "piracy stops hard working actors from buying another 48 room mansion"
And show us the passage of time.
We're gonna need a montage.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we just need to start a pro-piracy fund and use it to pirate more materials just to spite bogus groups like FACT.
CrashPat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does piracy fund anything?

I'm pretty sure that when I pirate a movie I don't pay for it. So where are they finding funding?

gah.

Marijuana funds terrorists too! 8O
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, real piracy, creating counterfeit works and selling them, at drastically reduced prices, to consumers in competition with the copyright holders can fund 'things'. However, I think it is most likely mainly going to line the coffers of the cheats that do this, more often than that money is used to support other 'things'. This is just my uninformed 'hunch', though.

Obviously, when you 'pirate' something by getting a copy without paying anyone for it, then you are not possibly supporting 'things'.
The Congress shall have power...To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries; --U.S. Constitution. Article 1, Section 8.
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I really want to know is where did you find a video store that doesn't carry dvd's. Heh :lol:
seabass55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't notice "Terrorism" has turned into a buzzword in the past two years+?
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that taking a dump is supporting terrorists world wide?
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all colleges and universities should check out Ruckus. (Watch out for the music).
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolvenwraith wrote:
Did you know that taking a dump is supporting terrorists world wide?

Guess my avatar helps :roll:

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
Albert_Alligator
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracy isn't funding Terrorism huh? I guess those dunderheads at Interpol got it wrong!

The Interpol report wrote:

Al-Qaeda

In general al-Qaeda and affiliated groups benefit from funds raised by sympathizers. This may include funds originating in either licit or illicit activities. One estimate is that over a ten year period al-Qaeda received between $300 million and $500 million, averaging US$30 to US$50 million a year (4). According to the same source approximately 10% of spending went on operations while 90% was used to maintain the infrastructure of the network, including payments to other groups to support them or to increase al-Qaeda's influence in these regions. A further use of these funds was the payment of money to guarantee the protection of the group in Afghanistan or Sudan.

One counterfeiting case has been reported in the media where there are alleged connections to al-Qaeda. The investigation into a shipment of fake goods from Dubai to Copenhagen, Denmark, suggests that al-Qaeda may have indirectly obtained financing through counterfeit goods. Danish customs intercepted a container, containing counterfeit shampoos, creams, cologne and perfume. The sender of the counterfeit goods is allegedly a member of al-Qaeda. A transnational investigation involved agencies from three countries; Denmark, the United Kingdom and the United States (5). It is difficult to know whether the funds from this traffic went directly to al-Qaeda or whether only a part of them were remitted. In general, it is possible that funds generated through IPC are remitted to al-Qaeda indirectly through zakat-based (a religious duty to give money) giving. Although given the cash-based nature of this giving it is difficult to establish the provenance of the funds.

Hizbullah

Interpol is aware of three cases of IPC-related activity and terrorist funding in South America. These cases involve ethnic-Lebanese who are involved in the remittance of funds to Hizbullah. As in the case of European radical fundamentalist groups funds are thought to be indirectly remitted via organisations associated with Hizbullah. Interpol's information suggests that these persons are involved in the distribution and sale of counterfeit goods, not in the manufacturing or fabrication of counterfeit goods. It is suspected that most counterfeit manufacturing and fabrication is dominated by organized crime. Three examples illustrate this:

Funds generated from IPC may be remitted to Hizbullah using the following modus operandi. Counterfeit goods produced in Europe are sent to a free-trade zone in South America by a group of Lebanese criminals sympathetic to Hizbullah. The goods are then smuggled into a third country, to avoid import duties, where they are sold via a network of sympathizers and militants originating in the Middle East. An unknown amount of the money generated through this activity is suspected to be remitted to Hizbullah.

In February 2000, an individual was arrested for piracy and suspected fundraising for Hizbullah. The individual sold pirated music CDs, Sega, Sony and Nintendo game discs to fund a Hizbullah-related organization. Among the discs recovered were discs containing images and short films of terrorist attacks and interviews with suicide bombers. The discs were allegedly used as propaganda to generate funds for Hizbullah. Interpol is in possession of some of these films. This individual is currently a fugitive.

Another indivdual was arrested for his alleged ties with the Hizbullah in Foz do Iguazú in June 2002 after evading arrest in October 2001. The individual is wanted for tax evasion and the collection and remittance of funds to extremist organizations. Interpol files do not mention involvement in IPC. The alleged IPC connection is stated in open sources. Law enforcement sources indicate that numerous letters from organizations, suspected of being associated with Hizbullah in Lebanon, were found thanking the individual for financial contributions.

Al
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert_Alligator wrote:
Piracy isn't funding Terrorism huh? I guess those dunderheads at Interpol got it wrong!

all white ppl are murderers because manson is
all black ppl are trannies because ru paul is
or what?

yes they got it wrong
Albert_Alligator
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalu wrote:
Albert_Alligator wrote:

all white ppl are murderers because manson is
all black ppl are trannies because ru paul is
or what?

yes they got it wrong

Wow, I guess you should work for Interpol since you're so smart. :roll:

Your ridiculous generalizations do not compare to the research and investigations that the people at Interpol have been conducting now for years. Nowhere was it said that all piracy directly funds terrorism, but piracy of CDs and VCDs and DVDs is part of the way that terrorist organizations raise money for their causes. If you think that is wrong, go turn yourself into the nearest hospital, because you must be having an overdose and are clearly delusional.

Al
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: