modprobe 8139too fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timcrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: modprobe 8139too fails Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm trying to get more familiar with this level of Linux, and it's not going so well.

I am follwoing the install guide for x86 machines and I get to the first step which is setup-pci. I do that and it goes through and only finds 2 things, but when I hit 'OK' to do the auto-scan the screen flashes, something comes up at the bottom, then it goes back to the menu before I can even read what's happening.

When I try to do a modprobe 8139too it says the module is not there, which is isn't on the /lib/modules...etc/

I mounted one of my old filesystems with the 2.4.18 kernel that has 8139too.o under the drivers tree. Well since the CD is write only I can't move it over there, and I guess this is where i'm stuck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working properly?

Thanks for anyones help in advance.

Tim
m0pr0be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

im not sure if the support for the 8139 chipset is built into the live cd kernel and not as module.

so chances are that you can just go on without inserting a module into your kernel.

what happens if you just try to bring up your network interface?
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using the 1.4 cd, there have been some issues with the nic's. See here, or here.

Solutions: Either use 1.2 cd and download 1.4 tarball for the setup or try out, whether the 8139too is compiled into the kernel and continue setup without modprobe. So far, I've always chosen the first one, but that doesn't mean that the second one won't work :wink:
NOR^gasm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 8139too module is compiled into the 1.4 beta kernel. I was stuck at the modprobe step myself, but decided to just run net-setup anyways and it all configured properly. Just boot the CD normally, login as root and you'll be given a helpful promtp for the live CD. Something about game setup and the like. In there is the command you have to enter to configure then network under the live CD. I believe it's "net-setup" but I could be wrong.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an 8139too chipset (D-Link), and I had no problem with the 1.4_rc cd; the kernel was supposed to have all of the NIC modules built in to ease that part of the install...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: