Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
LIRC not working (& driving me crazy)! Need some hints..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: LIRC not working (& driving me crazy)! Need some hints.. Reply with quote

I am fiddling arround with it since 2 days, without any success. At first I thought it may be a problem with UDEV, but my latest test with DEVFS led to the same result. Everything is done as necessary, but it is simply not working.

My configuration:

kernel-2.6.7-rc3-love2
a serial IR-receiver connected to COM1 (for testing I use a unit from POLAR, I know it's working because in former times I tested it under WinLIRC)

The love-sources already have the LIRC patch included, I tried both possibilites, so compiling as module and into the kernel. My actual setup is:
Code:
 <M> Linux InfraRed Controller
                (2)   Maximum LIRC devices
                < >   BT829 Driver
                < >   IT87 Driver
                < >   ATI USB Driver
                < >   MCE USB Driver
                <M>   Serial Driver
                        Serial Receiver Type (Homebrew)  --->
                [ ]     With transmitter diode
                [ ]     Igor Ceska's variation
                 Serial Port (COM1 (0x3f8, 4))  --->
                (0x3f8) I/O Port
                (4)     IRQ
                < >   SIR Driver

Ofter preparing / compiling /rebooting the kernel, I emerged app-misc/lirc-0.7.0_pre4 without options, so all drivers have been installed. The compilation did not show any errors.

Then I performed
Code:
/etc/init.d/lircd start

The output in the system log was
Code:
0.7.0pre4[8120]: could not open config file '/etc/lircd.conf'
0.7.0pre4[8120]: No such file or directory
0.7.0pre4[8123]: lircd(serial) ready

When using UDEV, /dev/lirc/lirc0 was not created automatically, as expected, so I created the folder manually, as well as the device-node by using
Code:
mknod /dev/lirc/lirc0 c 61 0

With DEVFS no need for that, it was created automatically.

Then I loaded lirc_serial and 8250 with modprobe with gave
Code:
linux # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
8250                   16928  0
serial_core            18880  1 8250
lirc_serial            11104  0
lirc_dev               10184  2 lirc_serial

and the following in the system log:
Code:
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:sample_rate: 0
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 8 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

When now trying
Code:
mode2 -d /dev/lirc/lirc0

and pressing some buttons on a remote in front of the IR-receiver, simply nothing happens!

I can see the LED flickering, which is built-in in the IR-receiver, when pressing a button on the remote, but no output on screen, simply nothing.

I tried mode2 with and without lircd running (I assume lircd should not be running as only one app can have access to /dev/lirc/lirc0), as well as irrecord, with the same result.

I searched the forum, I read the (outdated) info on www.lirc.org, but I don't have a clue what the problem could be, and what else to try.

Both COM ports in my computer are recognized well by the kernel, so it can not be a setup problem concerning the COM ports themselves. When trying it the described way, there can also be no conflict with access to the comport as well.

Some please can give me a hint, maybe I am so into it, that I do not see the solution to my problem.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am fiddling arround with it since 2 days, without any success.

Only 2 days... It took me 3 weeks to get it working with i2c and my hauppage tv card with remote...

Quote:
when pressing a button on the remote, but no output on screen, simply nothing.

What program are you using to read and send it to the screen? irxevent? Did you try running irw then pressing the buttons? Do you have a .lircrc file in your home directory?

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
I am fiddling arround with it since 2 days, without any success.

Only 2 days... It took me 3 weeks to get it working with i2c and my hauppage tv card with remote...

I'm used to get things going, and I usually fight till the solution is found. This particular workstation is the most difficult machine I ever tried to get everthing up and running, it gave me headache since the very beginning (having Sil3112 SATA and nforce2 chipset, needed some mindstorming to solve all the known and unknown issues...).

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
when pressing a button on the remote, but no output on screen, simply nothing.

What program are you using to read and send it to the screen? irxevent? Did you try running irw then pressing the buttons? Do you have a .lircrc file in your home directory?

I didn't try any more advanced applications and I also do not have a .lircrc file in my home dir, my tests were done with mode2 and irrecord. As I did not get any response from these two programms (and I mean not any response at all, so no sign of function of receiving RC signals or at least an error message), I didn't had to go further, because when I am unable to get a feedback from mode2, and when I am unable to record any IR signals with irrecord, there has to be something wrong from the very beginning. Due to the lack of knowledge what the problem could be, and what else I could try, I am pretty grounded at the moment. I simply can not find an explaination, why it's not working.

Maybe some can comment the given output I got during the startup and installation. Does this all look normal, or should I have gotten something else?

Did someone, who got it going, perform any of these installation steps in anther way, or did I forget something do do?

This is again very weird, I really thought I know what to do. It was so damned easy when I tested this IR receiver with the used remote control unter WinXP with WinLIRC, I got it to record IR signals in notime, that's why I didn't expect to run into such problems under Linux, especially as I know that the RC unit & the IR receiver are working, so it can not have anything to do with that hardware.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You MUST add some options to lirc when emerging - at least the driver it needs to compile. If you don't, it will build the modules, but will not know which one you use, and will not copy the lirc command file (which escribes what buttons do you have).

So, it is not a suprise that it works, but can't see anything. :)

When emerging, issue it like this:

LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=xxx" emerge lirc

where xxx is the type of your infra (maybe serial, I don't know, I use only TV-Card infra).

Sipi
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi wrote:
You MUST add some options to lirc when emerging - at least the driver it needs to compile. If you don't, it will build the modules, but will not know which one you use, and will not copy the lirc command file (which escribes what buttons do you have).
So, it is not a suprise that it works, but can't see anything. :)
When emerging, issue it like this:
LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=xxx" emerge lirc
where xxx is the type of your infra (maybe serial, I don't know, I use only TV-Card infra).Sipi

Thanx for your feedback, Sipi, but it didn't make any difference.

I went back to UDEV, creating the character device with 'mknod /dev/lirc/lirc0 c 61 0 && chmod a+rw /dev/lirc/lirc0' manually.

The only possible driver is 'serial', and I also tried several different reemerges with various options, like
Code:
LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=serial --with-port=0x3F8 --with-irq=4 --without-soft-carrier"
, but it did not change anything.

When I boot this workstation, at first I can see, that when pointing a RC unit to the IR receiver and press any button, the embedded LED does NOT light up. There is no reaction from this LED, until I 'initialize' the IR receiver by loading the module with 'modprobe lirc_serial' (strangely, this LED keeps flickering on button press even after I unload lirc_serial and lirc_dev, I thought it should not react any more after unloading the modules, and I have no explaination for that).

I just tried it again on a WinXP workstation, there I just started WinLIRC, selected "RX" device on COM1 and started the button-recording, which worked just fine without any other thing to do.

On my Gentoo workstation it wouldn't do a damn thing. When I perform 'mode2 -d /dev/lirc/lirc0' I can see the program waiting for something to happen, when I press a button on a RC unit, I can see the IR receiver's LED flicker, but nothing happens. The same when starting 'irrecord -d /dev/lirc/lirc0 test', it tells to press 'enter' two times, then it waits for a button press, I press several buttons each more than 1 sec, the IR receiver's LED flickers, but nothing happens, and after 10 sec, the program tells
Code:
irrecord: no data for 10 secs, aborting
irrecord: gap not found, can't continue
and that's it.

I need to narrow down the possible causes. In my kernel setup as can be seen above everything seems OK. I am not sure about the message output on loading the lirc_serial module:
Code:
lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:sample_rate: 0

Does this look normal?
Why is it telling 'sample_rate:0'?
This output seems to have nothing to do with the connected IR receiver itself, because it's the same messages even when I don't have the receiver connected to the COM port.

Is is possible, that the LIRC patch included in actual love-sources 2.6.7-rc3-love2 is not working properly?

I can select all necessary items in my kernel config, and there is nothing unusual when compiling the kernel, so I think this part should be right.

As the used COM port with port and irq settings is already selected in the kernel-config, it makes no sense to specify these data as well in the LIRC_OPTS on emerging lirc.

What exactly does the emerge of the lirc package do? I don't really understand, why it has more then just the few utils and the lirc-daemon, and why it has to look for the kernel-dir, if the lirc-module is already build on kernel compile.

I don't even need to fiddle arround with the lirc-daemon, because it simply has to work when trying 'mode2' and 'irrecord' after loading the lirc_serial module, so I just concentrate on this part.

I assume there is something wrong between the module, and the connection to the character device /dev/lirc/lirc0.

When the message on loading the module tells
Code:
is this then really a character device-node at major 61 and minor 0?

It really should make no difference, if using UDEV or DEVFS, if I manually create the device.

So what else could I take a look at, and what else can someone suggest me to try ???

I am really pretty stuck here, so any comments and any help is welcome.
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad, that noone seems to have a clue. I really don't have any idea, how to proceed on this. I really tried everything that came into my mind, without success. If I only knew what the problem could be, it would be easier to give up on this, knowing it is because of a certain issue I can have no influence on... :cry:

Can anyone confirm, that LIRC is working at all on a decent ~x86 installation, with latest love-sources 2.6.7-rc3-love2, NPTL enabled, udev-027, glibc-2.3.3.20040420 & gcc-3.3.3-r6?

The only option I have, is to use a HAUPPAUGE WinTV NEXUS-S DVB-S PCI-card in this workstation, then I can try it with the Hauppauge IR-receiver connected to this PCI-card, instead of a serial RS232 solution (also it was not intended, to have a SAT-TV card in this computer).
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

there should be some reason... First, I am not using serial receiver, but as far as I know, it should be a problem if you compile serial port support into the kernel. As your infra use serial port, too, the two driver tries to use the same resources. Try to not compile serial support, or maybe as module and do not load it.

Yes, you have to modprobe the modules first. I don't know why it is not initialized automatically...

So, you created the devices, and lirc programs waits for input from this...
Should you check if you have the proper /etc/lircd file? It has to have the buttons defined in it. It should be that lirc get the sancodes, but knos nothing about what it means.

The kerel dmesg output s normal. I have the same.

I didn't try Love-sources, but as far as I remember I had troubles with it when trying my needed modules. Try it with gentoo-dev-2.6.4-r1! It is a working version, I tested and use it.

Not every kernel version has the lirc patch, that should be the reason why lirc try to compile stuffs in kernel space. VW, last time I tried it it did not tried to compile modules...

I think the main problem should be 1. you have no correct /etc/lircd config file, 2. UDEV realy has some problems with these knd of devices.

If it doesn't break your system, try gentoo-dev-2.6.4-r1 with devfs. Don't try 2.6.5, it has a borked lirc patch... It workds for me.

Sipi
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your input, Sipi, but I nearly tried it all by now.

As there is indeed a conflict when compiling serial + LIRC into the kernel, I already moved on to compile both as modules only, so that is not the issue.

I don't have a /etc/lircd file installed, as playing arround with lircd makes no sense, if I can't get mode2 and irrecord to get any input at all, so concentrating just on the modules / the kernel-patch + trying to get anything with mode2 and irrecord is the way to go (I think).

I think the LIRC patch in actual love sources should be OK, at least I could not fine any info about problems with it, and the modules also compile without any error output.

UDEV should not be the problem, if I create the device nodes manually.

Still pretty stuck here. I didn't have the time to play arround with this in the past few days, but I think I will try again using gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.4-r1 with DEVFS, as well as applying the LIRC patch to some other sources.

Nevertheless any further suggestions are welcome of course.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, mistyped, the config file is /etc/lircd.conf. You need this file, or else lirc daemon can't understand what key you pressed.

I don't know what config file do you need, you should search lirc homepage for this specific device. Or simply copy one (take one on the serial configs). Maybe it is similar to yours.

Sipi
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Sipi, but as far as I am at the moment, the lircd config can't be the problem anyway, because until I do not get any response with mode2 and irrecord accessing the sensor directly using /dev/lirc/lirc0, there is no need in starting the daemon at all.

I just checked, actual love-sources use the lirc_infrared-2.6.5-rc2 patch, which made me curious, as you mentioned that the gentoo-dev-2.6.5 patch is b0rked.

Any idea, where to find the latest LIRC kernel patch?

At the moment I'm using 2.6.7-rc3-love2, but I think I should try patching the final 2.6.7-mm1.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

try to get it from the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.4-r1 kernel. It is in gentpatches-2.6-4.27.tar.bz2 file.
As far as I know, it has the latest working lirc patch.

Sipi
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just patched kernel 2.6.7-mm2 with the lirc-patch from genpatches-2.6.4-27.tar.bz2, but it didn't help, it leeds to exactly the same result as before.

Really no idea, why this machine is doing this to me... :cry:

As I do not want to spend any more time fiddling arround with this serial-port issue, I think I'm gonna try it with the mentioned Hauppauge DVB-S card (I don't have one here, but maybe I'll buy one in about 2 weeks).
robinmarlow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got this to work using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r11 (r9 did not work) compiled with 8250 as a module.
and CVS version of lirc set for a serial receiver with the debugging and Igor Keskos variation boxes ticked. also had to set WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.5 to make it compile.

then i modprobed 8250
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe lirc_serial
lircd
mode2

then hurrah i got some numbers appearing..... now i've just got to make it do something!!

good luck fellow lirc puzzlers. hope this was of some help. will post .configs if would be helpful.

robin
robinmarlow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. note no kernel patches required for the CVS version...
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a stock 2.6.7 kernel I was unable to find patches for the kernel.

So I installed the CVS version from www.lirc.org,
and the setup script is very easy to use (much like a VERY SIMPLE menuconfig for the kernel), I selected the "tvtuner" option, then selected by remote and it ran configure and make. Then I installed it via make install and bam it just works (tm).

Got tvtime working.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master One wrote:
Thanx Sipi, but as far as I am at the moment, the lircd config can't be the problem anyway, because until I do not get any response with mode2 and irrecord accessing the sensor directly using /dev/lirc/lirc0, there is no need in starting the daemon at all.

I just checked, actual love-sources use the lirc_infrared-2.6.5-rc2 patch, which made me curious, as you mentioned that the gentoo-dev-2.6.5 patch is b0rked.

Any idea, where to find the latest LIRC kernel patch?

At the moment I'm using 2.6.7-rc3-love2, but I think I should try patching the final 2.6.7-mm1.

Where can I find this lirc patches?
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the patches. You just need to compile the drivers from the lirc ebuild. The ebuild script is buggy, it bypass the drivers compile and install which are done for the 2.4 kernels, but not the 2.6 ones.

So, just look what version of the lirc package is installed on your system (emerge -s lirc, you will get the lirc package as the first one in the list). Just do:
Code:
cd in_a_temporary_directory
tar -jxvf /usr/portage/distfiles/lirc.... (after the version you have installed) .bz2
cd lirc...
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-driver=your_driver_name
cd drivers
make
-------- as root -------------
make install
   or
mkdir /lib/modules/your_kernel_version/misc (if it doesn't already exist) just copy the drivers built in the make step in the /lib/modules/your_kernel_version/misc directory
depmod -a

shutdown -r now

Given that, why don't Gentoo peoples just update the .ebuild script to make the drivers?
Coume
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this, since I experience the same probl... but when I try to make lirc, I get this error:
Quote:
/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:33:2: warning: #warning "* *********************************************************"
/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:34:2: warning: #warning "* *********** disabling devfs for 2.6 kernels *************"
/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:35:2: warning: #warning "* *********************************************************"
In file included from /tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:66:
/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/kcompat.h:59:2: #error "LIRC modules currently require"
/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/kcompat.h:60:2: #error " 'Loadable module sup port ---> Module unloading'"
/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/kcompat.h:61:2: #error "to be enabled in the k ernel"
make[5]: *** [/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [_module_/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.7-gentoo-r11'
make[3]: *** [lirc_dev.o] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers/lirc_dev'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/lirc/lirc-0.7.0pre7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does it mean that I have a prbl with my kernel?
how to check that?

Ludo
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just mean you haven't enable the module loading in your kernel. When building the lirc driver, this one will be loaded as a module by the kernel, however, you need to enable module loading in the kernel for this to work. In the configuration menu, item three "Loadable module support", then "Enable loadable module support" and "Automatic kernel module loading" and "Module unloading". And, of course, rebuild your kernel.

BTW, I opened a bug report on the fact lirc doesn't build the drivers as it should for kernels 2.6 and seems the version you use of the ebuild (pre7) is the first one to enable them and do things right. So, it should be possible to just emerge this particular version with the appropriate options to build the required driver without having to build by hand. Haven't test it yet myself.
Coume
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I had to reinstall a new kernel so I made the unloading module change...
I did install lirc but it won't load :(
I get this error:
Quote:
fileserver root # /etc/init.d/lircd start
* Starting lircd...
lircd 0.7.0pre7: can't open or create /var/lib/run/lircd.pid
lircd 0.7.0pre7: No such file or directory

Any idea?
AchilleTalon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the message you are getting doesn't mean the module cannot load. It just mean the daemon lircd (that's not the driver) cannot create its pid file. So, just check the directory exists and if the file exists, check its permissions. And if everything seems fine, check if the filesystem on which the directory resides is not full.

To look if the module is actually loaded, you need to do lsmod to list all loaded modules.
b0fh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I upgraded to lirc-0.7.0, I can't load lirc-serial anymore:
Code:
modprobe lirc-serial
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_serial (/lib/modules/2.6.9/misc/lirc_serial.ko): Device or resource busy

and in dmesg:
Code:
lirc_serial: port e0dd34ea already in use
lirc_serial: use 'setserial /dev/ttySX uart none'
lirc_serial: or compile the serial port driver as module and
lirc_serial: make sure this module is loaded first

Of course I tried the setserial-thing (had to to that in the -pre of lirc, too), any ideas what to try else?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0fh wrote:
Since I upgraded to lirc-0.7.0, I can't load lirc-serial anymore:
Code:
modprobe lirc-serial
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_serial (/lib/modules/2.6.9/misc/lirc_serial.ko): Device or resource busy

and in dmesg:
Code:
lirc_serial: port e0dd34ea already in use
lirc_serial: use 'setserial /dev/ttySX uart none'
lirc_serial: or compile the serial port driver as module and
lirc_serial: make sure this module is loaded first

Of course I tried the setserial-thing (had to to that in the -pre of lirc, too), any ideas what to try else?

I have the same problem here with the latest nitro kernel. Any hints?
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply *don't* compile in serial port driver in kernel. If you need serial port, compile it as module. load lirc_serial first and then the serail module.
zoltar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this isn't the problem. There is a bug in lirc-0.7.0 during the configuration process which puts entries in the config.h file like:

Code:

#define LIRC_PORT "0x3f8"
#define LIRC_IRQ "4"

when it should be:

Code:

#define LIRC_PORT 0x3f8
#define LIRC_IRQ 4

By putting the quotes in there, lirc tries to open some weird port number that is never going to work. I don't know how lirc-0.7.0 works for ANYONE right now. Anyway, I got mine to work by stopping the emerge at just the right point (after the config but before any compiling), editing the /var/tmp/portage/lirc-0.7.0/work/lirc-0.7.0/config.h file and removing the quotes around the LIRC_MAJOR, LIRC_IRQ, LIRC_PORT and LIRC_TIMER defines. I then restarted the emerge (fg) and let it continue to the end. It now works.

Curtis
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: