View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Recommend a good FTP client for KDE/QT? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a good KDE FTP client. Web browsers don't quite do it.

I tried KBear, and it sucks the likes of which I have never seen. In both interface, and in the fact that it was dumb enough to try to open 280 simultaneous sessions, which crashed my system completely. (Even the sysrq keys didn't work, because it had somehow taken over the keyboard)
I was looking, hopefully, for something like SmartFTP for Windows, a free (as in beer) and intelligently designed client with an intuitive interface.
gate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: ncftp Reply with quote

I'm sure you are looking for a pretty point and click FTP client but I have never really come accoss any good ones for linux, not that I have looked too much. I have tried a few from gftp, kbear and what ever else was on the dist I was playing with. In the end I must say that konqueror does a good job but not nothing close to CuteFTP (my favorite) in windows. If you are looking for a good ftp client for linux I would recommend ncftp (www.ncftp.com). I know it is not pretty and all but it does rock. I have been using it for years and have not found anything that comparies to it.

Gate.Ilive4Code.net
timewalker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: IglooFTP PRO Reply with quote

www.iglooftp.com
is a nice one... unfortunally it's not free/open =(
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ncftp Reply with quote

gate wrote:
I'm sure you are looking for a pretty point and click FTP client but I have never really come accoss any good ones for linux, not that I have looked too much.

Don't get me wrong, I use the console frequently for those tasks for which it is, but handling lots of FTP files at once in multiple direcotories is not one of those things. I use KDE because it impresses Windows people, and because it has excellent applications for which there is no equal in the console, such as Konqueror and PixiePlus.
Timewalker: I'll give Igloo a try. It it does what I need and it reasonably priced, that works for me.
Edit: Err, Igloo doesn't appear to be available for Linux. Do you perhaps run it under WINE or the like?
Gate: Your sig: What do you mean by "Java, the third coming of Cobol?"
I think Java is great, and COBOL, well, isn't.
A thankyou to both of you.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only good gui ftp client for Linux that I'm aware of is gftp.

Kbear looks very promising but the current 2.0alpha1 I briefly tested was very buggy.

So no KDE ftp gui apps ;)

There are some others listed here http://apps.kde.com but most of them haven't seen development in ages.
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just emerge gftp. it's fast and while it uses a gtk widget set, there shouldn't be any problems.
gate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: my sig Reply with quote

http://www.iglooftp.com/linux/index.html

There is the linux site for the iglooftp program btw.

As for the comment on my sig. I was in helping a friend with some SSH stuff at work one day and I saw that on the blackboard. I imediatly broke out laughing (ok not really but I did find it funny). Yes I like the language Java, just not the end results. I just have never been too impressed with any large Java programs because the virutual machines are slow. I just feel sorry for anyone who has to run large Java programs (Oracle client) on older machines. And we all know that Cobol is evil. If you have never programmed in it consider yourself blessed because I was forced to take a semestar of it a few years ago and am still in recovery.

Don't get me wrong I like Java but want to wait 5 more years till the hardware is at a point where you don't notice how slow it is.

Gate.Ilive4Code.net
Tiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the vote for gFTP.
cloud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for gftp too...
smash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, konqueror has very great FTP support. You simply have to get used to entering FTP address in URL format, like ftp://user@host.com

it works like a charm, I don't need anything else. Open many konqueror window and start drag and dropping. You can even do it from one FTP site directly to another :)

Resume features work great too.. I am using kde 3 of course..
garbageiscool2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been expierncing corruption problems when uploading or downloading with gftp well at least if i do any resuming on mutiple ocasions it has occured REALLY annoying uploading something to find out it is corupt :/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: