View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Favourite image viewers ? Reply with quote

Time for one and all to post their favourite image viewer! :)

I post this because I'm uncertain which one to use, I favour fast and clean ones.
Maybe gqview ?

Let's hear them folks! :)
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourite image viewers ? Reply with quote

eonic wrote:
Time for one and all to post their favourite image viewer! :)

I post this because I'm uncertain which one to use, I favour fast and clean ones.
Maybe gqview ?

Let's hear them folks! :)

Pixie Plus
Probably the fastest thumbnail image viewer ever made, for any system. The author is Mosfet, the guy that did the High Performance Liquid theme for KDE.

Give it a shot.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Compupic. Pixie Plus would probably be my 2nd pick.

I like having the main panel as thumbnails and when you click on one it goes full screen and you can then scroll through them with the mouse wheel, only Compupic does this although Pixie Plus just needs the mouse wheel support. Compupic is also very fast.
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
I'm using Compupic. Pixie Plus would probably be my 2nd pick.

I like having the main panel as thumbnails and when you click on one it goes full screen and you can then scroll through them with the mouse wheel, only Compupic does this although Pixie Plus just needs the mouse wheel support. Compupic is also very fast.

I was just using Pixie to find a new background image and the mouse wheel was fully functional. Perhaps it was implemented after the last version of Pixie that you tried?
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me sets mode +opinionated for sibn (you have been warned: heavy bias ahead)

I was interested in pixie plus until I noticed something quite distressing. Its author is the infamous mosfet. You know, the kde guy.

The guy who doesn't get along with people, and complains because they aren't kissing his ass enough. (this is how it looks to me, at least)

Mosfet is most definitely not a team player. I cannot in good conscience encourage him by giving him the satisfaction of feeling that I appreciate a damn thing he's done.

Until he's ready to play nice, I want him to take his balls and get the hell out of my way. :twisted:

/me sets mode -opinionated for sibn (you were warned, eh?)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just using Pixie to find a new background image and the mouse wheel was fully functional. Perhaps it was implemented after the last version of Pixie that you tried?

You can't scroll through the full screen images with the mouse wheel, I just tried it again with the latest ebuild.

I also noticed you can't do anything while it's thumbnailing and it thumbnails so slow I think I could draw them faster, maybe this is a problem with the ebuild, I don't remember it being so slow.
Time it took to thumbnail a directory and compupic was even generating larger better looking thumbnails.
pixie-plus 0.3r-1, 64 seconds
compupic 5.1.1063, 17 seconds
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was interested in pixie plus until I noticed something quite distressing. Its author is the infamous mosfet. You know, the kde guy.
It's my understanding that him and the kde guys are working together in a friendly fashion these days. I'm happily using mosfet-liquid-widgets right now. Everyone deserves a second chance don't they?
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:

You can't scroll through the full screen images with the mouse wheel, I just tried it again with the latest ebuild.

I also noticed you can't do anything while it's thumbnailing and it thumbnails so slow I think I could draw them faster, maybe this is a problem with the ebuild, I don't remember it being so slow.
Time it took to thumbnail a directory and compupic was even generating larger better looking thumbnails.
pixie-plus 0.3r-1, 64 seconds
compupic 5.1.1063, 17 seconds

I must have misunderstood what you meant by use of the mousewheel. :) You are right, that would be a nice feature, and will probably not be for a while as Mosfet stated he was going to be busy with his work for a few months.
The thumbnails comment was baffling to me, though. I have a directory with 460.7MB of mixed JPG's, GIF's, and PNGs (most of the space is occupied bythe PNGs) and it took Pixieview about 110 seconds to generate the thumbnails. Granted, that isn't instantaneous, but there are a hell of alot of images in there, and Pixie generate the thumbnails by far faster than any other app I tried. <shrugs>
garbageiscool2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GQview!!!!! the best image browsing program i have ever used! it is fast works great and even has tools built in to find duplicate images great for taking care of a large collection of images.
lannie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entice :D

zippy and ultimate e17 eyecandy ;)
hehe

-Lan
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a directory with 460.7MB of mixed JPG's, GIF's, and PNGs (most of the space is occupied bythe PNGs) and it took Pixieview about 110 seconds to generate the thumbnails.

This must be with them cached in a .pics directory, or at least some of them cached. Try deleting the .pics directory and see how long it takes.

My testing was with a 86M directory of jpeg's, average size about 100K and on an fast system (XP1800/KT333/512M).
Syruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lannie wrote:
entice :D

zippy and ultimate e17 eyecandy ;)
hehe

-Lan

You have e17?
cloud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tend to come back to xv... :roll:
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:
It's my understanding that him and the kde guys are working together in a friendly fashion these days. I'm happily using mosfet-liquid-widgets right now. Everyone deserves a second chance don't they?

I don't know. Last thing I saw about mosfet was before he came back to kde, and then it was my understanding that it was not the first time he'd been acting... unprofessionally. That would mean he already HAD his second chance.

Trust is quite an odd thing; I give it freely to most people who don't ask for it, but once you've broken it, it is extremely difficult to persuade me to give it to you again. Mosfet may have had a conversion; but I'm not going to take a chance when he's got an established reputation firmly positioning him in another attitude.
lannie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syruz ,

on my debian box.. yeh.. but i can't figure out how to config the damn thing! :P
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

I'm a console kinda guy.. so I do most of my basic file editing/moving/copying/deletion/etc in a terminal.

As such I also use a commandline hirez viewer.. which, surprisingly, no one has yet said they also use!

Anyway I use qiv. Simple and still very powerful.. I love it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: