LiveCD remastering howto?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhsx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: LiveCD remastering howto? Reply with quote

Lately I've gotten quite a bit into "Remastering" the knoppix liveCD. Some of my examples are available here:
http://bhsx.yi.org/modules/Downloads/knoppix_bhsx_v.0.2.iso <w/kde
http://bhsx.yi.org/modules/Downloads/bhsXuniL-v0-5.iso <almost nothing

I followed the howtos on the knoppix forums and use a taylored version of this script:
http://www.geocities.com/ted_johnson2/knoppix.txt

I ran into problems yesterday while trying to put together a LiveCD 3D demo with things (some non-free) like Parsec(org), Tuxracer, egoboo(sf.net), FlightGear, GLTron and Armagetron amongst a few others.

I was wondering if you someone could put up a "gentoo liveCd howto" based on how you created the fantastic NEW ut2003-livecd with cacheing and so forth. Even if you just explained the process of cacheing an entire app and all of it's data to ram before launching that would be great. But quite a nice(small) community is rising-up around remastered knoppix versions, and it would be great to give this to the gentoo communtiy as well. If possible, I'll write scripts to make it easier for anyone to do this, which I'm planning on doing for a "basic" (minimal) knoppix image that I am tweaking ever smaller. Any help in these areas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Imagine you're trying to sell LTSP to a small company, you can bring a switch and a server with a bunch of boot floppies, or you can bring a working liveCD that loads all of LTSP into ram along with say mozilla and OOo (along with a bunch of boot floppies, but hey, you're getting rid of the box you gotta drag around). Even better(or worse, depending on your POV), running Codeweavers Crossover Office with M$o2k and Quicken via LTSP(though you obviously couldn't give those away)
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that would be awesome ... i am wanting to convert a school district to linux and use gentoo and ltsp being able to go demo with a cd and a bunch of floppies would be much better than luggin a box 4 on that 4 hour cruise across teh state to the district :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: