View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustard007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARSON is a good burning software too that support Normalizing your audio files before burning ! Good looking and is for KDE3 !!

Available at your local emerge !
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
I'm going to toss another vote in the direction of the command line. I wrote a little bash script to convert mp3's to wav's normalize them and burn them. i just type "mp3cd /Bunchatunes/*"
i'm working on scripts for Data CD's etc. Maybe I'll write them all and make an ebuild for a command line cd burning suite.

I hate to be preachy, but don't forget ogg. I'm sure others could chime in about other formats (flak, etc), but ogg is IMHO better than MP3 in so many ways. Anyway I imagine it couldn't hurt to also add ogg support. Have the script detect mp3/ogg-ness by the file suffix.

If you post your script I'd be happy to add ogg support and post back.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdbakeoven looks nice but doesn't support ogg. At least these were the results on my install that I just did. I do have oggvorbis in my USE flag, so I'm assuming that cdbakeoven just doesn't support it.
Kawada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that using gcombust in combination with ROX-Filer works really well. gcombust supports the drag and drop from rox nicely, so file selection is much easier. And gcombust seems to give easy access to all the options from mkisofs and cdrecord, so no complaints there.

2002 Nethack Tournament -- 317th runner-up http://nethack.devnull.net/
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: K3b supports cue and bin, and rips DVDs Reply with quote

K3b is the only one I have found able to load .cue files and burning raw .bin images. -> Nero for Linux.

K3b will also rip DVDs...
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody please help me how a Nero .nrg image can be written or converted under linux?
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_strange wrote:
Could somebody please help me how a Nero .nrg image can be written or converted under linux?

I'm not sure about that, but I guess that .nrg files are plain iso images.
Try :
Code:
cdrecord dev=X,Y,Z speed=TT -v -eject -dummy your_nero_image.nrg
replacing X,Y,Z TT of course with your setup

to test it. This is the emulation mode of cdrecord. If it works pls let me know since my brother insists on making nrg images instead of mkisofs and I haven't tried it myself so far...

.:: zen ::.
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nero .nrg files are supported by K3b. Just run k3b -> write iso image, select your .nrg file in the file dialog, and burn it...
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, .nrg is an iso, you can mount it on linux as a normal cdrom, like this:

Code:

mount file.nrg /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 -o ro -o loop

Then, you can access this CD-file in /mnt/cdrom, without needing to burn it...
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both!!
DesertFox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel, don't know if you figured this out yet, but xine is

emerge xine-ui

actually, xine is

emerge xine-lib

but xine-ui is the gui for it, which you will probably want.

and i believe that its dependents include the xine-dvd-nav, dvd-nav, dvd-read, and dvd-css,

which should make it so you can watch just about any dvd
Delphiki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes, .nrg is an iso, you can mount it on linux as a normal cdrom, like this:

Code:

My experience, and from what I've heard the experience of others is that this is not consistent. I've burnt a nrg and used the cd but the same nrg file would not mount using loopback. (And yes, I can mount other loopback files, so I'm quite sure it's the format, not a problem with my configuration)

I think it might have to do with whether the nrg has multiple tracks.. That's just a guess though.
Delphiki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in addition to emerging xine you need to make sure the UDF file system is enabled in the kernel or as a module and emerge xine-dvdnav (I'm about 99% certain that it isn't a dependency of xine-ui and I can't get the dvd plugin that is installed with xine to work).
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the best audiocd program out there you should obt for Feurio shareware and Wine, it works great if you have a cdr / cdrom that supports C2-error correction (I have a plextor), this way you can read the CD at high speed one time, and still have an indication if everything is read correct (I know readcd can do c2error but it puts everything in the image, so you need to get rid of the extra info to get a raw pcm file). Well anyway readcd doesn't work anymore (not yet) with kernel 2.5.50.

Well anyway if somebody stumbles on a program / way to extract tracks using c2 correction (and get playable wavs), arrange them, maybe some cddb functionality and burning them, plz dumb it in this threat, although I like feurio, I would love a linux solution for it, ;-)

Cya lX.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my two cents, and I'm fairly enthusiastic about them so my opinion might be worth something to someone.

I've never had much luck with cd burning in linux (about 8 months now), which includes Mandrake, Red hat and Gentoo. I know the newest Mandrake/RH stuff is supposed to be great, but i"m a gentoo freak now. I've found that cd burning in linux (for files etc.) can be done pretty easily with the standard command line tools cdrecord, cdrdao and mkisofs. I believe every single GUI application uses these tools, so you can either use the GUI or use them by hand, it depends if you wish to cut out the middle man or need the GUI's guidance.

That being said, I'm also a gnome freak, and was really looking for a CD burning solution to what I've been used to in windows. I used Nero in windows, which is pretty good, but it had its bugs and was _not free_. I've tried every GUI program except for arson, and my first, best, greatest choice is gtoaster, for gnome! If you're running gnome, give this program a try. It's defaults detected everything for my system, and seriously all I had to do was drag a file (or select it via file tree) and click burn. What?? Yeah, I've never experienced that kind of easiness with a complicated issue like CD burning in linux. So, this program has made a lasting impression on me, and I'm am _thoroughly_ impressed.

As a plus, the program lets you see exactly what it will be running (piping the GUI's input to the tools mkisofs, cdrecord, etc, suprise suprise) and you can edit the commands directly if you care to do so. Also, the program detects and converts mp3 files (and ogg files? not sure) to audio tracks via a preference in the preferences, turned on by default, so the default behavior is for one to drag an mp3 file onto the CD's file list and converting it to wav and showing you track time, etc. This is a one step mp3->CD program that windows users expect when coming to linux, and before now, I hadn't found it.

As for the other programs, sure, give them a try, but IHMO, they all suck, hard, especially XCDRoast, and the others too (but especially XCDRoast). I've heard great things about Arson, but unfortunately I'm not a KDE user and don't want the libs etc (the program has a big pre-req). I've seen screen shots and they look amazing, so for the KDE camp, try arson. I am so vehemently against XCDRoast because it is mentioned as a viable GUI cd burning program for the desktop and newbies alike, which it is not. The GUI is terrible and unintuitive, and the way things are accomplished makes no sense. It functions, yes, but I wouldn't say it fills the gap of a desktop cd burning program. Gnome/X users, try gtoaster!

On a side note, there is a nice perl script in portage, called cdrx.pl, that handles burning isos to a cd via command line. It's a little more easy than mkisofs commands etc., and is menu driver and user friendly. I used this before I started sampling every GUI out there.
dweebs0r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: CD Burning Software Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in that Arson is a very nice and complete CD burning program. I only saw it mentioned briefly in the other responses.
Enjoy!

--Dweebs
timmy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Mode2 writing? Reply with quote

This is probably a stupid question, but...

How do I write a CD in mode2?

I've tried both K3B and simplecdrx, and neither seems to have the CD Mode as an option.

cdrecord has a track option of -mode2, if I create an iso, can I use cdrecord to burn it in mode2?

Is there a way of selecting the mode from K3B?

Tim
maxmc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to burn an image with Arson but I only get "Unknown iso format" when I select Burn CD from Image in the menu...

then I press ok and nothing happens.. I didn't even get to select the file... compiling K3b as I write this.. hope it'll last...
Ian Tindale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$ cdrecord dev=0,0,0 (or your CDR SCSI device number) -v [iso_name]

that's it

if you want to read the cd on window$ 9x/NT, add the -J option to mkisofs[/quote]

But this thread is about using ATAPI - this doesn't seem to be ATAPI related because a] I've just tried that and it doesn't work, and b] you specifically mention SCSI.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear ATAPI-supporting GUI-cd-burning programs are few and far between at the moment... very upsetting, because ATAPI solves the age-old problem of how horrifying "set up SCSI emulation for your cdroms" sounds to a new user. I would have thought every GUI program would be on the bandwagon... ahh well...
Ian Tindale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how to use cdrdao to burn bin/cue using ATAPI:/dev/hdb[b][/b][b][/b]
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik cdrecord is the only linux program that will burn using ATAPI. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I'm curious to know if any of the GUI programs *besides XCDRoast support cdrecord's dev=ATAPI feature? All of the ones I've tried didn't recognize any drives. But it's possible since XCDRoast does work.
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can k3b burn DVD+RW ? If not, anyone would have such a software to recommend ? :)
tucolino
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delphiki wrote:
Quote:

Code:

My experience, and from what I've heard the experience of others is that this is not consistent. I've burnt a nrg and used the cd but the same nrg file would not mount using loopback. (And yes, I can mount other loopback files, so I'm quite sure it's the format, not a problem with my configuration)

I think it might have to do with whether the nrg has multiple tracks.. That's just a guess though.

i replied to this on a different thread... anyway here's some info:

nrg and iso's are pretty much the same format except for a value at the beginining. All we need to do is change the offset, and we can mount it no problem. ie

mount -t iso9660 image.nrg /mnt -o loop,offset=307200

after mounting, you can manipulate it into any format you would like. hope that helps....

tuco
billium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: cdburning Reply with quote

I would like to give my vote to burncenter, it is a console app that is easily run from remote. .. many thanks to the author.

Billy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: