View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 4K is working for you, use that. If you get odd crashes or have some binary drivers, 8K is probably a better bet.

8K is the more stable option in any case
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin79 wrote:
teutzz: sorry for the write barriers saw that it was in... So wich one should i use? right now i use 4 k :P

if it's stable (let's say during big emerges) stay with it. in general is a good option to use it because everyone want better something, but i have experienced hard-lock-ups using it (because in general 4K stack doesn't play nice with nvidia drivers and reiesr4 and xfs filesystems) and i'm using the nvidia drivers and reiser4.
now i'm on 2.6.8-nitro1 and everything is running smooth with 4K stack enabled (btw this is the first kernel when i'm not experiecing hard-lock-ups when using 4K stack)
Robin79
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use nvidia-drivers and xfs but not resier4 yet!! and have never had any troubles with it i ahve used it since it came? the 4 k stack i mean :P thanx you guys you are the best :P i will go back to compiling the new nitro now :)
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: diff Reply with quote

PickledOnion wrote:
syadnom wrote:
what is the diffence between the rc4-love2 and the rc2-love3??

i'm assuming that love3 is more mature or something? whats the deal?

The main difference (apart from the actual patches applied and you'll have to look at the patch list for each love release for that) is that, as the name suggests, they are applied to different kernels.

For example, the rc4-love2 is applied to 2.6.8-rc4 and rc2-love3 is applied to 2.6.8-rc2 (in between the rc2 and rc4 release was another kernel, the 2.6.8-rc3).

Actually, 2.6.8 final was released today so you may want to wait a couple of days for new patchsets to come out for the vanilla kernel.

HTH :D

note:

For those that use reiser4, new reiser4progs and libaal (both now at version 1.0.0) are in portage.

I would recommend updating these extremely important progs asap. :D

Hi,

I am still on 2.6.6-love4 with an r4 partition created when that came out. Portage ahs since upgraded my reiser4progs to 0.5.6 that is incompatible with the r4 version in mykernel so I can no longer fsck.reiser4.

How can I tell what version I need to do a fsck on this partion?

I want to move up to more recent kernel but I need to fsck and then convert this partition to the new r4 format before proceeding.

Thanks for any help. 8)
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree,

Sorry I'm not really reiser4 knowledgable, I use it on a spare partition as a test bed and I simply wiped it, installed the new progs and then mkfs.resier4 the partition again so it used the latest bits 'n' bobs.

I know few people will be in a position to be able to do that. I have seen on the forums a thread about how to do it but can't remember where it was.

Maybe someone here can recommend the best way to go about it?
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PickledOnion wrote:
Gentree,

Sorry I'm not really reiser4 knowledgable, I use it on a spare partition as a test bed and I simply wiped it, installed the new progs and then mkfs.resier4 the partition again so it used the latest bits 'n' bobs.

I myself haven't done the "mkfs.resier4" thing since Mr. Redeeman released the first Reiser4 enabled LiveCD :?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all may have been a red-herring.

I finally found out that what was causing the R4 partition to fail to mount was that I needed to have Large Keys enabled in the kernel support for R4. This should be an option but appears to be necessary to make it work at all. (Others have found the same thing.)

R4 is supposed to be a stable full-on released fs now so this is a bit bad. I actually selected the option because it looked useful and it turned out the fix the pb. So happy ending .

By this time I had already given up trying to fsck.reiser4 anyway . I had enough confidence after 7 months of R4 to just copy the partition elsewhere and reformat .

The copy allows R4 to reorder the files and that apparently gives an important speed gain.

Out of interest it took 4 min 44s to copy the 3Gb of my portage tree from reiser3 back to the new R4 partition.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: