View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: A stupid question: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
What about prelinking? Is it enabled by default, does it mean more or less the same thing or what?

check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3042&highlight=

#mb
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kernel compiled fine with binutils-2.12.

Yes, most of these tips will work on other X programs - I've noticed a dramatic speed increase in Evolution. I don't know enough about them to say they would speed up console apps.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question: Reply with quote

mb wrote:
Evangelion wrote:
What about prelinking? Is it enabled by default, does it mean more or less the same thing or what?

check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3042&highlight=

#mb

Thanks :). But I'm under the impression that prelinking and objprelinking are two different things? Prelink solves the real underlying problem, whereas objprelink is just a quick hack that addresses the symptom, not the cause?
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:
I can confirm paulisdead's method of building binutils - I did it, about to go do KDE. To use his command, you must be in /usr/portage/sys-devel/binutils/

hmm i tried it, but it says it installed binutils in /var/tmp/portage....

Code:
>>> Install binutils-2.12.90.0.4 into /var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.12.90.0.4/image/ category sys-devel

>>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.12.90.0.4/image/

And when i do qpkg binutils it says only the old version is installed, not the new one. Am i forgetting something?

deech
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deech wrote:
hmm i tried it, but it says it installed binutils in /var/tmp/portage....

Did you use 'ebuild foo merge' or append install to the long list of commands listed by paulisdead?
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:

Did you use 'ebuild foo merge' or append install to the long list of commands listed by paulisdead?

Hi Alec,

i did
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/sys-devel/binutils/binutils-2.12.90.0.4.ebuild fetch unpack compile install

BTW, what's 'ebuild foo merge' ?

deech
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deech:

cjv wrote:
Unless you really want to change something in the configuration (which in this case you don't have to) you can just type:

ebuild /usr/portage/sys-devel/binutils/binutils-2.12.90.0.7.ebuild merge

and binutils-2.12 will be built and merged automatically for you. After that, just remerge glibc and you're on your way!
Cavegeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, quick question about all this:

I emerged the binutils-2.12, recompiled everything, got a performance increase, etc., etc., but when I later did an `emerge rsync` and `emerge --pretend --update world`, emerge tells me that it will "upgrade" my binutils package to the 2.11 version. Will it actually overwrite my higher-version binutils, or will the 2.12 version stay since it actually is a newer version.

I realize that it wants to do this because the packages file specifies the 2.11 version as the "stable, correct, whatever" version, but I was just curious if I should worry about overwriting the binutils version that *I* actually want on my system...

Thanks in advance,
Todd
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... that's interesting. I never got that. I would say just stay away from upgrading it. Hell, it's your system.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavegeek wrote:
I realize that it wants to do this because the packages file specifies the 2.11 version as the "stable, correct, whatever" version, but I was just curious if I should worry about overwriting the binutils version that *I* actually want on my system...

Well, 2.12 is listed as stable on www.gnu.org/software/binutils, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Just open up /usr/portage/profiles/packages.mask and comment out the line that reads "=sys-devel/binutils-2.12.90.0.9" -- that will "unmask" binutils 2.12, which will let Portage play nice with it.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 2.12 is listed as stable on www.gnu.org/software/binutils, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.[/quote]

I would. I just tried to build a new system using binutils 2.12. It barfed all over the place. (that's the technical term :P ) I realize others have used it with good results. I didn't have good results. emerged binutils, tried to recompile glibc and ended up with a big, gooey mess. I've got the error message around here somewhere, but haven't had time to file a bug report on it yet.

Anyway, I obviously didn't put too much troubleshooting effort into it -- I simply went with the "regular" version of binutils. Just a heads up that YMMV and all that.

--kurt
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:
Deech:

cjv wrote:
Unless you really want to change something in the configuration (which in this case you don't have to) you can just type:

ebuild /usr/portage/sys-devel/binutils/binutils-2.12.90.0.7.ebuild merge

and binutils-2.12 will be built and merged automatically for you. After that, just remerge glibc and you're on your way!

:oops: uuhh, well indeed, that did the trick! Thanx for helping me!!

deech
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably add that the signle best way to improve KDE performance is to compile it with GCC 3.x - there is a new 1.3b_test stage1 that just went up yesterday on Gentoo's site. Awesome, just awesome.
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:
I should probably add that the signle best way to improve KDE performance is to compile it with GCC 3.x - there is a new 1.3b_test stage1 that just went up yesterday on Gentoo's site. Awesome, just awesome.

Sounds cool! :))

But since i don't have a high bandwith connection, i'll wait 'till it gets out of beta stage and is considered stable....

For now, this will do ;)

Deech
verwilst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Gentoo Linux 1.3b, that will give you a 10%+ speed boost in comparison to 1.2 and below.. and the binutils 2.12 is default..

Enjoy!
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Optimize KDE 3.0.1 for Gentoo Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
8] you now have a Gentoo system ready to build apps with the combreloc tweak (you can test this by running apps with 'LD_DEBUG=statistics' and checking the relocations)

Can someone explain to me in more detail what this is all about? Do i have to change some settings for this to work, or is installing binutis2.12+ enough. And what's with the LD_DEBUG thing?

deech
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Optimize KDE 3.0.1 for Gentoo Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
Compiling a new kernel won't work with binutils-2.12+ ?
And do these tips have any effect on the building of other packages? I don't use KDE. Will these settings only boost performance on KDE?

I've been using binutils-2.12 for a few weeks now, and I can build my kernel and the rest of my packages no problem. (I actually did an emerge -e world for kicks and everything went fine...)
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verwilst wrote:
Use Gentoo Linux 1.3b, that will give you a 10%+ speed boost in comparison to 1.2 and below.. and the binutils 2.12 is default..

Enjoy!

Where does this 10% improvement come from? And where can we see it?
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
These tips talk about combreloc. What about prelinking? Is it enabled by default, does it mean more or less the same thing or what? How would one enable it?

I've heard that prelinking makes KDE barf at the moment, but it is being worked on...
schlage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: glibc emerge Reply with quote

Hi everybody, (This probably need to be in BUGS)

OK, I've been working on the KDE optimizations. So far I've

1. Re-compiled the kernel with preempt and lowlatency
2. built binutils-2.12.90.0.7
3. Set my flags appropriately (PIII stuff)

Here is where I get stuck, when trying to emerge glibc-2.2.5-r5, I get some funny output from the configure step most notably

Code:

blah...
blah..
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -march=i686 -O3 -pipe s -O2) works... no
blah...
blah...
checking whether ranlib is necessary... gcc: s: No such file or directory no
blah...
blah...
checking for assembler global-symbol directive... UNKNOWN
configure: error: cannot determine asm global directive

It seems to me that that 's' is out of place in the gcc line, but I don't know where it might be coming from (I've checked the /etc/make files). Anyone got any clues here?

Thanks
-Scott
schlage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little while later....

:oops:
Turns out if you change the compiler options from
-fomit-frame-pointer
to
-fomit-frame-pointers

The compiler doesn't like that. Hmm, go figure.

Sorry everyone who looked :?
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm using Gentoo 1.4 w/GCC 3.2 and binutils 2.13.x... running
Code:
LD_DEBUG=statistics konqueror

results in
Code:

11192: 
11192:  runtime linker statistics:
11192:    total startup time in dynamic loader: 271387972 clock cycles
11192:              time needed for relocation: 267023560 clock cycles (98.3%)
11192:                   number of relocations: 26766
11192:        number of relocations from cache: 52403
11192:             time needed to load objects: 4051760 clock cycles (1.4%)

I'm not sure if this means that the "automatic" prelinking is working or not, but the number of relocations > 0 makes me think it is not. I played around with Jakub's pre-linking tips back in the KDE 2.x days on Redhat and built a pre-linked KDE that had *ZERO* relocations when launching konqueror.

Is that not what we should be looking for with the new "automatic" prelinking that I hear spoken of, or am I simply hopelessly confused?

From what I read it appears the new binutils and glibc only automatically support "caching" of the relocations, not their complete removal (as in pre-linking) :?
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me? Is it gentoo-sources? Probably a bit of both (tending toward me surely). CRAP!

I'm no guru yet for fudging tweaks here and there in Linux (will I ever be?), but I managed to recompile the vanilla-sources many times over without any issues.

With gentoo-sources, I did learn a couple of error messages. Here's a couple...

- Segmentation Fault
- Illegal Operation
- Kernel Panic: CPU context corrupt
- preempt something bla bla 4 (yeah sure)

With that, a couple of oddities like "kill" that wont kill, gpm that homes the cursor, mount that cant mount (kool for trying to restore old bzImage in unmounted /boot), and... finally, i've seen enough.

Back to vanilla.
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: K.. done everything... just one question about performan Reply with quote

beast_master wrote:
My real question is something like this:
In winBlows XP, when I move a window really quickly (I mean really really quickly), the window still moves very smoothly, no choppiness in the movement at all... nice smoot... infact, if you just drag around a window really quickly for the heck of it (yes, I know.. I don't have a life :P), the movement is still very very smooth. In KDE.. when I do the same, the movement is not so smooth - its kinda choppy, kinda feels like the system is choking when I do it... ya know.. the feeling of the loss in framerate when the action gets really hot in a feature packed game.
The other thing that's choppy is when the mouse is in its animation mode... when you open Konqueror for example, the mouse goes into its neet, yet not so transparent, animation... when I move around the mouse then (rather quickly), the movement of the mouse is really choppy.

- Now my question is the following: Is this normal? Does this happen eventhough everything is optimised? Or have I not optimised/setup stuff correctly? Is this the same for everyone using KDE?.

well X-Server is actually a server... which means it is designed for multiple users to have gui while sitting on different nodes and working on One Big Unix Server. That was reality back in 70's when X was made.

Windows is drawing directly to hardware of your machine, thus better frame rate. There are some modules for X that are trying to make things a bit faster (DRI and such), but they cannot improve things that much.

There are some replacements for X working with framebuffer, but as I remember they all are in alpha stage or so. FB* something, I am sure someone else on this forum has the link, I'm too lazy =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: