Various Questions On Installing Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Various Questions On Installing Gentoo? Reply with quote

On Pentium 4 1.4Ghz machine with 128MB of PC800 RDRAM, how long should it take to install Gentoo? I'm not really sure how the portage system works, but ideally I'd like to get it running with KDE, OpenOffice, and a C++ & Java compiler.

Am I looking at a few hours here or more?

Also, can someone clearly explain the differences between the different stages? Will starting from Stage 1 take significantly longer to complete then starting with Stage 3 and is the difference in time worth it? In other words, will I notice a significant difference in speed of things if I start with a stage 1 over a stage 3?

After installation, should I be looking to compile KDE & OpenOffice? Are there any advantages here?

Thanks for the help!

:)
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo installs depend significantly on downloading.

I am almost done with my first install of Gentoo, which I am attempting from stage one, and I noticed that the install process went through cycles of download/compile, download/compile; so if you have a fast internet connection (I have access to DSL through a proxy) it will go significantly faster than if you have a 56k modem.

The first two stages each involve compiling. The first compiles some system utilities, the second involves recompiling the compiler, the third requires compiling the kernel. For each stage I spent some jours studying the manual and figuring things out and typing in some set-up options before doing the compiles. The compiles themselves I can't guestimate the time because I started stage one, then went to bed, then initated stage 2, and let it run while I was at work.

At any rate, it takes longer than Mandrake.

If only I could get that kernel to compile.... :?
wudmx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should take in consideration several hours.. for the base system.. if you want to have X, kde, then you need more hours!

only my experience with stage3 on duron/1ghz!!!
JamesS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! It's appreciate it.

Can anyone comment on the differences in speed between the different stages? Will my system fly starting with stage 1 but not in stage 3?

Also another question. If I switch hardware in and out, does this mean I need to recompile Gentoo each time? For instance if I switch my graphics card, upgrade my RAM, and install a new CPU ...

Snuck in there on me wudmx :) So it has more to do with my internet connection? I'm not a completely new to Linux it's just I'm completely new to Gentoo :) This might be an insanely stupid question, but what exactly is installed in a basic install, before I install X, KDE, etc.?
wudmx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesS wrote:

Also another question. If I switch hardware in and out, does this mean I need to recompile Gentoo each time? For instance if I switch my graphics card, upgrade my RAM, and install a new CPU ...

Snuck in there on me wudmx :) So it has more to do with my internet connection? I'm not a completely new to Linux it's just I'm completely new to Gentoo :) This might be an insanely stupid question, but what exactly is installed in a basic install, before I install X, KDE, etc.?

sorry, i didn't want to let you know that i think you're a newbee :-) i think im a newbee!!

if you change your hardware for example your processor, than you should recompile your kernel and you should change your cflags! don't know now the file where you can do this, anything with /etc/make.profile ...
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Reply with quote

I'm new to Gentoo myself, and just installed OpenOffice yesterday. Do not do this if you need to write a paper. I have a meager P3 @ 840. It took 11 hours. Nevermind the 110 MB download, that's what the cable modem is good for.
JamesS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I wasn't suggestion you were calling me a newbie, although it is blatantly obvious that with Gentoo I am. I was just letting you know that I do know a bit about Linux.

Thanks for all the replies guys! They've been very helpful.

If anyone else has any more information, feel free to add :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Various Questions On Installing Gentoo? Reply with quote

JamesS wrote:
can someone clearly explain the differences between the different stages?

I think of them in terms of transitions. The transition from stage 1 to stage 2 consists of bootstrapping a toolchain - compiling gcc, glibc, and binutils. Then the very micro core of your system is recompiled with your new toolchain (and the compiler options you choose): this consists of things like the binary part of Portage, and the baselayout, which includes init. From stage 2 to stage 3, the rest of the base system (which if you are used to another distro will seem very spartan - no X, no networking daemons except for sshd) is compiled.
Quote:
Will starting from Stage 1 take significantly longer to complete then starting with Stage 3 and is the difference in time worth it? In other words, will I notice a significant difference in speed of things if I start with a stage 1 over a stage 3?

I recommend starting from stage 1 for a different reason: it's an excellent stress test of your hardware. If you can successfully install Gentoo from stage 1, you can pretty much rule out any hardware reliability problems, which can give you peace of mind.

One last thing: if you have Linux already running on this machine, look at the alternate install guide. You can do all the compiling niced in a terminal window this way, which is in my opinion the easiest way by far to install Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: