View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moveek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Why so many masked packages? Reply with quote

What's with all these masked ebuilds? I've been trying to merge some programs, and a lot of them are masked. I was trying to merge some image viewing progs but most were masked. Also, of less consequence, I was unable to merge gaim because it is masked too.

In the case of the gnome or kde programs I was thinking they might be masked because I don't have the gnome and kde bases installed, but I assume portage would merge all necessary dependencies, or is that not the case?

One mystery is that I think some of the packages are not masked in package.mask. I remember trying to emerge something, and it was apparently masked, but I couldn't find it in package.mask. Do packages get masked some where else too?
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and am emerging gaim as I type. As far as the ones not in your package masks I believe that could have something to do with your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS"~arch" settings for unstable packages.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, only particular versions of ebuilds are masked. Unless the ebuild in question is completely new, there should generally be a fallback unmasked version.
moveek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks rac and EzInky...I thought that all versions of a given package were masked because I would do an emerge --pretend without specifying the version and it would say there were no unmasked ebuilds or something to that effect. Interestingly now I'm not having the problem...actually heheh I think i was trying to do it without being root first.

Inky, how could I change the value of the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, is it an environment variable?
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be, or you can place it in make.conf. You can do a forum search for ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for more info. The"~" in front of your arch means the package is considered unstable. For example...

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

will give you packages that are still being tested if you put in your /etc/make.conf file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: