View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Slow text input in Quanta Reply with quote

No, it's not a mechanical problem :P
I'm talking really slow, approximately 3 seconds per character. While doing this it uses up 80% of my processor capacity (1.6 ghz Pentium 4).
It used to work fine. I like it's text completion capabilities with php variables and syntax hilighting.
Deleting stuff works well, so does cut and paste insertion. It's just typing that it can no longer handle.
Anyone ever run accross something like this?
I operate from gnome/sawfish, but have kde installed as well. Other kde apps (kedit) do not do this.
I have had this occur sporadically in the past, but restarting it or gnome always corrected it.
Any suggestions appreciated. In the mean time I'll use this as an opportunity to try out a few other apps.
(currently fetching nedit and gvim)
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried out Quanta today and I think that it really r0x! But if you want to try out alternatives (don't have a solution for your problem :cry: ), why don't you try bluefish?

but... imho I really believe that Quanta is better (although it's a KDE/Qt application which I usually HATE!) :twisted:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish is nice. Used it before Quanta.
But something happened to it. Text in bluefish is currently a series of multicolored boxes. :cry:

gvim looks interesting so far. Doesn't have the site-tree thingy, but I can live without it. Lack of text-completion feature (if it has it, I haven't found it yet) will be more of a loss.

One thing I don't understand about it though: why is the default white background brighter than the white background in my other apps? It nearly blinded me when I maximized the window after first starting it. 8O

I may also revisit scream. It's simmilar to quanta and bluefish. Don't remember at the moment why I chose bluefish over it. I discovered the box problem in bluefish after I started using quanta, at which point I had no motivation to fix it.

But thanks for the suggestion, I would have offered the same advice myself :)
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave up on gvim for now and started looking at anjuta. A bit bloated for my purposes, but that doesn't bother me.

On quanta: when loading from a shell it gives the following error messages when starting
Code:
QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
Invalid entry (missing '=') at /usr/share/apps/quanta/doc/javascript.docrc:241
QToolBar::QToolBar main window cannot be 0.
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::aboutToShow() to QuantaApp::viewMenuAboutToShow()
QGList::locate: Index -1 out of range

Opening and closing files causes the last two errors to repeat.
I've discovered that the speed/cpu-usage problem only occurs while multiple files are open. I tend to have 3-5 open at a time, but if I reduce this number to 2 it'll work better.
File size is only 8k for the largest. It appears to be a quantity thing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: