Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Catch 22 - ISP requires www login to access the net
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats Hulten

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Catch 22 - ISP requires www login to access the net Reply with quote

For some reason my ISP (Telia in Sweden) requires that I log in on their website before granting me internet access via ADSL. Are they the only ISP that does that, or is this common behavior?

Anyways... this makes it kinda hard to install Gentoo, as it requires a net connection to emerge a webbrowser needed to connect to the net... 8O

Granted that Gentoo is, and should be, a "clean" install but shouldn't there be at least a console webbrowser (like lynx) in the install, just if something doesn't go as supposed and you need to search for information on the net?

-M
huhmz

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: There are other ways Reply with quote

Any program that can use a socket can log you on to telia. There are programs in C and perl for this.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if telias adsl is anything like comhem IC You will need a browser that can handle javascript, I dont thing lynx or links does this currently.

I believe "LF connection keeper" supports telia adsl so you can try putting it on a disc and use that to log on. Get it at www.lfdomain.com
Cocktail
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nempo wrote:
if telias adsl is anything like comhem IC You will need a browser that can handle javascript, I dont thing lynx or links does this currently.

I believe "LF connection keeper" supports telia adsl so you can try putting it on a disc and use that to log on. Get it at www.lfdomain.com

True, Lf connektion keeper solves the problem, and that too was Telias customer service answer when I asked them about this.

My point is however that in order to get lfck you need to access the net. (At least when having Telia as ISP.) But whithout the proper tools you cannot access the net.

As I said, this is not a problem, unless more ISP in Europe (and the world) starts behaving the same way. If they do, then installing lfck from a disk wount cut it, as most of the systems wount be compatible. A javaenabled, consolebased webbrowser on the other hand...

-M
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: