View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterthrill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Black screen during System Reboot/Shutdown Reply with quote

Hi.

I am having some problems during System reboot/shutdown. During a system shutdown/reboot the screen turns entirely black. I am using a ATI Rage 128 card, and have tried both the ati and r128 driver options in my XF86Config-file, but no success.
I'm running XFree-4.2.1, but I didn't experience this error running XFree-4.2.0....What has happened to XFree-4.2.1 compared to XFree-4.2.0?

Starting a console from e.g KDE like this ALT-CTRL-F<n>(. where n could be from 1 to 6) works perfectly fine. Even pushing ALT-CTRL-F7 which brings me back to my kde-session works.

So why can't I see my shutdown progress during system shutdown/reboot?

Is XFree-4.2.0 an alternative?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ole

Last edited by waterthrill on Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
humpback
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The console and X are two completly seperated things (has you can figure out for yourself, if you think about it you can have console withought having to install X ).
The problem is probably at kernel level.
Try to rebuild your kernel, with these options:
[*] VGA text console
[*] Video mode selection support
and
[*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
<*> ATI Rage128 display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .
-------------
waterthrill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Console during system shutdown/reboot Reply with quote

Hi gain.

I'm afraid that your suggestions didn't make me closer to a solution.
Tried almost everything now...

Ole

humpback wrote:
The console and X are two completly seperated things (has you can figure out for yourself, if you think about it you can have console withought having to install X ).
The problem is probably at kernel level.
Try to rebuild your kernel, with these options:
[*] VGA text console
[*] Video mode selection support
and
[*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
<*> ATI Rage128 display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
stegmaie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have the same problem and I also have a Rage128 ATI card... console is black if I leave X (doing a shutdown resp. reboot in gdm). I have tried compiling the kernel with different options, but none solved this problem. I guess it's a problem of the R128 driver... at home, I have got a Radeon 7500 with a similar gentoo installation (differs only in some apps...) and there it works perfectly.

BTW: With the vanilla-kernel (and the r128.o module from sourceforge), DRI was working. I now use the gentoo kernel and there I have an error in XFree86.0.log, that DRI couldn't get initializied (it says, that /dev/dri/card0 was found, but /dev/dri/card1 ... /dev/dri/card14 are not found. Of course, I have only one card :) ... and then, it disables DRI). I tried the module of the kernel and the one of sourceforge, but none of them works. Is DRI working with your installation? If yes, what did you do?

stegmaie
waterthrill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Black screen during System reboot/shutdown. Reply with quote

Hi, again.

Well I've emerged XFree-4.2.0 and now it works for my AtI Rage 128 Card. It seems to me that either kernel or/and XFree-4.2.1 doesn't handle my graphics card very well. YIPPI-KAY-AY.

Back to your issues.
I am using gentoo-sources for my kernel, with framebuffer, both for the ati rage 128 and vesa builtin the kernel.
Besides I have installed the gatos-ati package to be sure.

In XF86Config you have to include this to get glx and dri to work.
# This loads the GLX module
Load "glx"
# This loads the DRI module
Load "dri"

EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Hope it will work.

Cheers,

Ole

stegmaie wrote:
Hi!

I have the same problem and I also have a Rage128 ATI card... console is black if I leave X (doing a shutdown resp. reboot in gdm). I have tried compiling the kernel with different options, but none solved this problem. I guess it's a problem of the R128 driver... at home, I have got a Radeon 7500 with a similar gentoo installation (differs only in some apps...) and there it works perfectly.

BTW: With the vanilla-kernel (and the r128.o module from sourceforge), DRI was working. I now use the gentoo kernel and there I have an error in XFree86.0.log, that DRI couldn't get initializied (it says, that /dev/dri/card0 was found, but /dev/dri/card1 ... /dev/dri/card14 are not found. Of course, I have only one card :) ... and then, it disables DRI). I tried the module of the kernel and the one of sourceforge, but none of them works. Is DRI working with your installation? If yes, what did you do?

stegmaie
Code:
verdoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similiar problem where if I am logged in through ssh and send a reboot command it will hang, but if I'm actually logged on locally it will work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: