View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hudsonhauck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Stupid loooking fonts Reply with quote

Whenever I open up a webpage in Linux (whether it be with Netscape, Opera, or Konqueror) all text looks retarded. Do I need to install fonts or something?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid loooking fonts Reply with quote

hudsonhauck wrote:
Whenever I open up a webpage in Linux (whether it be with Netscape, Opera, or Konqueror) all text looks retarded. Do I need to install fonts or something?

"All text looks retarded".... Could you try and be a bit more descriptive? The fonts look bitmapped, the fonts look like a foreign language, the fonts are in wacky colors, the fonts are talking to you...

Did you compile with TrueType? Did you install any fonts? What does the font section of your Xfree86 config file look like? What troubleshooting steps have you tried already? I'd recommend a google search, but somehow, I doubt you'll find any relevant results for "retarded text"...

--kurt
hudsonhauck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you're probably right. The fonts are really pixelated. Everything is pretty small, and the smaller it gets, the harder it is to read.

No, I didn't install any fonts, and I'm not sure if I compiled with truetype. I don't recall seeing an option for it. I'm not too sure I have a font section in my XF86Config file. The config tool didn't bring anything up about it and I didn't add it in. I can give that a check though. I haven't taken any troubleshooting steps because I thought it might be normal for different OS's (this is my first step away from windows)
Thanks.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hudsonhauck wrote:
(this is my first step away from windows)

Aha -- that makes more sense, then. Didn't realize you were brand-new to linux. OK, so you want to compile things with truetype support -- that means setting a USE variable in your /etc/make.conf file. Then, you'll probably want to remerge mozilla and/or KDE so they'll pick that compile-time option up. (though in your other message, you said you might not want to use kde, in which case just emerge whatever other window manager you're going to use after you've set your truetype USE variable)

That *should* be all you have to do -- Gentoo should handle the rest. If it doesn't, however, post your specific error messages and someone here should be able to help you.

BTW, Gentoo isn't the easiest distro for a first-time linux user. If you want something that's nice and easy, you should look at redhat or mandrake. Gentoo will teach you more about how linux works, but it will be more painful than RH or MDK. Not trying to discourage you -- just making sure you know what you're getting into.

--kurt
hudsonhauck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
BTW, Gentoo isn't the easiest distro for a first-time linux user. If you want something that's nice and easy, you should look at redhat or mandrake. Gentoo will teach you more about how linux works, but it will be more painful than RH or MDK. Not trying to discourage you -- just making sure you know what you're getting into.

Yes, I did know this. Thats actually why I chose Gentoo. I know nothing about Linux and I wanted to know alot, so I thought a hard install would be best for me (even though I am probably screwing myself as I should be studying for finals right now....)
hudsonhauck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTORY! Well, I enabled the truetype in USE, and then I reemerged fluxbox and mozilla, and now it works. Thanks a lot.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity: Shouldn't this option have been enabled by default in make.defaults? Make.conf should have inherited it from there, shouldn't it?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_kuzmanic wrote:
Just out of curiosity: Shouldn't this option have been enabled by default in make.defaults? Make.conf should have inherited it from there, shouldn't it?

make.conf does not inherit. If you have anything USE-related defined in make.conf, then everything USE-related in all other places is ignored.

man make.conf for more info.

--kurt
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
make.conf does not inherit. If you have anything USE-related defined in make.conf, then everything USE-related in all other places is ignored.

man make.conf for more info.

--kurt

Ok, what about this ?:

snip from /etc/make.conf

# USE options are inherited from /etc/make.profile/make.defaults. To turn a USE
# setting off, add a "-setting" to the USE variable here. To enable a setting,
# add the setting name to the USE variable here. Separate USE toggles with
# whitespace.

end snip
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_kuzmanic wrote:
snip from /etc/make.conf

Good question -- it flies in the face of what the man page for make.conf says and seems to conflict with actual experience, so my guess is it's wrong. Anyone else know the final verdict on this?

--kurt
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no proof (anymore), but I thought that it's correct that once use variables are put in make.conf, make.defaults is overridden. If it's empty, then make.defaults goes to town. I think this only because on my first time through I defined nothing in make.conf but it seemed that I had use= support for virtually everything. Could be wrong, but that's how it appeared.

That section from make.conf has always baffled me - at first I thought that make.defaults was _always_ there unless you turned them off, but then I thought that you had to specify everything you needed (but why even bother putting in -kde if once you populate make.conf then make.defaults is null and void?). I'd be interested to hear from someone that knows for sure...
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust man pages over comments in config files, and the actual docs available on the web site. If I had a penny for every faulty Linux man page out there ... only recently, I reported inconsistencies to Gentoo concerning the emerge man page (not least, it used to say that -u means unmerge).

I haven't observed anything that indicates that the file isn't inheriting ... surely I would have to put loads of USE settings into make.conf to get a useable system otherwise (I haven't - just a few modifications). Got me worried now though, I think it would be better to ask on the gentoo-dev mailing list, they'll know for sure.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are inherited as far as I understand. That's why we have to do -kde and -gnome all the time. Take a peek in to /etc/make.globals. You'll see:
Code:
USE_ORDER="env:conf:auto:defaults"
In my defualt config, environmental variables take precedence over everything else, and make.conf over auto, etc.

That's why if you have USE="-gnome" in /etc/make.conf to override the defaults in /etc/make.profile/use.defaults (did the format of this file change?!), but you run:
Code:
 USE="gnome" emerge -e -p gaim
You will bet a quit a bit more deps.

Back in the day (like a few months ago), they weren't inherited. Anyone else confirm or disprove my "theory"?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: