View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then the initrd is too small. You'll need to create a new one and copy the old one's contents, as well as the iswraid.o module

Code:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/initrd bs=1k count=10240
mkfs.ext2 -b 1024 /tmp/initrd
mount -o loop /tmp/initrd /mnt
cd /mnt

copy all your stuff

Code:

cd /
umount /mnt
gzip /tmp/initrd
mv /tmp/initrd.gz /boot/initrd
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

zcat /boot/initrd > /tmp/initrd
mount -o loop /tmp/initrd /mnt
cd /mnt/dev
MAKEDEV sda
MAKEDEV sdb
MAKEDEV sdc
MAKEDEV sdd
MAKEDEV ataraid
cd /
umount /mnt
gzip /tmp/initrd
cp /tmp/initrd.gz /boot/initrd

second time around that portion did not give me troubles. when i boot the system cannot mount my root partition. im thinking initrd is not loading the iswraid.o or im missing braincells and didnt follow a step or 2 or i have a typo somewhere. where should i go from here? what files would you usually check at this point?
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

referrering to the problem that if i use grub-install and it does not have my block devices:

you replied to someone to post the fdisk -l. here is mine

Code:

Kanotix / # fdisk -l /dev/ataraid/d0

Disk /dev/ataraid/d0: 74.0 GB, 74038640640 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9001 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ataraid/d0p1   *           1        3824    30716248+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ataraid/d0p2   *        3825        3836       96390   83  Linux
/dev/ataraid/d0p3            3837        3958      979965   82  Linux swap
/dev/ataraid/d0p4            3959        9001    40507897+  83  Linux

here is my /etc/fstab
Code:

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                  <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2                /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part4                /               reiserfs                noatime                 0 0
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3        none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0
none                    /dev            devfs           defaults                0 0
none                    /sys            sysfs           defaults                0 0

im still pinpointing my problem to initrd not loading iswraid.o at boot time but thats just my un educated guess :(
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that you managed to use my ebuilds and load the kernel config, as well as compile a kernel and generate an initrd. I am assuming from your posting that you have the same problem on grub-install at timere.

You are booted with Kannotix, which does NOT have devfs running, therefore the device naming conventions are different. Perhaps grub-install chokes because you have devfs convention names in fstab.

You have the line
Code:

/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2                /boot           ext2

in your /etc/fstab. Try changing it to
Code:

/dev/ataraid/d0p2                /boot           ext2

then run grub-install --recheck /dev/ataraid/d0. (what command line did you use initially, by the way?). If the grub-install works, then CHANGE IT BACK to

Code:

/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2                /boot           ext2

before rebooting. This is the way that I did it, and I did not encounter the problem.

The following url deals with grub problems, and refers on the first page to this issue. They suggest using a grub floppy to install or creating a custom device.map file. Alternatively you could try what timere did: install lilo, boot onto the new kernel, and then install grub when booted off the new kernel.

If your initrd is not loading iswraid.o (and you have not used the ebuilds and added the "doataraid" boot option), then I really suggest using the ebuilds. There are dozens of things one needs to get right for a dual boot system running on ICH5-R SATA RAID 0 to function properly, and the ebuilds do all that.
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for those reading this thread, the web site on which I am hosting the ebuilds and the instructions is due to be inactivated in six days time. I do not have a new site, since I am presently moving countries. Anyone have any suggestions on a new home...?
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no luck with lilo and grub actually i never got pass grub i gave up when it kept saying that it couldnt find my block devices.

it still boots and stops at when it is mounting the root partition. i did another kernel compile this time a manual one and it stops at vfs unable to mount root on 72:something. im trying to read the boot up messages i still believe its initrd not seeing the raid array...im also thinking maybe iswraid.o is not being loaded there was a modprobe error that went by fast right by when it says iswraid. also is it normal that i see md raid partition naming schemes also on boot up? how do i log my boot up messages so i can post here so i can get some light on this problem. :(
remne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagrima:

Its a bug in iswraid 0.1.4. I had same problem until yesterday.
Martins Krikis updated iswraid.c from CVS. If you remove iswraid.c from
drivers/ide/raid/iswraid.c and downloads

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/iswraid/2.4/iswraid.c?
rev=1.2&view=log

instead iswraid will work :)

dont forget to make clean after.

Goodluck!

/Andreas
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx you, ill give that one a shot as soon as i can and let you guys know how it go
remne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work :-) Belive me. I have tried about anything before I updated iswraid.c from CVS (btw, it was upated on CVS yesteraday, 29th). :D

About the bootloader problem... I use LILO. and my fstab I use device
/dev/ataraid/disc0/partX

Its a little weird, becuase when I boot from Kanotix, and chroots my gentoo installation /dev/ataraid/disc0/partX works, but later when all things works and the system boots without liveCD disc0/partX doesnt work anymore (if you want to update lilo that is, "/sbin/lilo"), then u have to change to /dev/ataraid/d0pX instead. Dont ask me why, but thats the way it is :)

btw, My lilo.conf looks identical with the one in this guide, works great.

And the part with an initrd.. kind of unessecary. Just compile iswraid static in kernel config. Anyway I dont use an initrd, works like a charm.
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that does seem to be apparent, is that those compiling the iswraid driver directly into the kernel seem to have this problem.

There is the issue of the precise order in which the scsi and ataraid subsystems are loaded: we know that iswraid depends on the scsi subsystem - compiling scsi directly into the kernel and iswraid as a module seems to yield a stable system.

Without spending hours inspecting the code, I can't say why the two should differ, though...
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol one more newb question since im fairly new on compiling stuff at this detail not to mention patching and i know im way over my head to try doing this with this system but hey i learned so much so far lol

ok here is the newb question

the file for the link that gaz has for the iswraid.patch is not there anymore. ive gotten the right exact one before and patched it before without any problems....i really should take down notes...anyway where in the world can i find that cause the file(s) that i have gotten so far returns with some errors......well actually its not that bad of errors i would think but going into menuconfig i could not find the intel raid support in the ata devices - raid part of menuconfig :( ive seen it before one time and im not sure which/what file im doing it wrong right now....

also

remne...what do you mean to make sure by make clean :( im such a newb...usually when i make a mistake i just lol delete /usr/src/linux-kernel and the sym link and reemerge the kernel :(

thx again guys and pardon my annoying questions
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm the file that i got "2.4.25-libata1-iswraid.patch.gz" it would not gzip so i took a look whats inside and it wasnt binary junk so i just used that to patch and it seems to have patched ok.....now i transfered the iswraid.c that remne showed me and its compiling right now we will see

p.s. btw what does your make.conf look like on this p4p800 asus ? i have a 2.6 ht
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i followed gaz's instructions step by step and whatever i didnt and i improvised ive noted such as the iswraid.patch i mentioned above. i also got the new iswraid.c and put it on /usr/src/linux/drivers/ide/raid

just getting a compile error im sure it has something to do with not making clean since im not to sure what that means :( here is part of the error when im doing a make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install

also i already went through the Makefile like gaz said its weird this time the DRIVERS portion is in line 150 something ont 46-47 like before

Code:

../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2020: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2022: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2035: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2061: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2062: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2063: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2063: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2070: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2071: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2075: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2076: warning: passing arg 3 of `order_disks' from incompatible pointer type
../ide/raid/iswraid.c: In function `iswraid_init':
../ide/raid/iswraid.c:2259: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[3]: *** [../ide/raid/iswraid.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.25/drivers/scsi'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.25/drivers/scsi'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_scsi] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.25/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

thx again guys
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion - emerge the i875p-iswraid-sources (you'll find the link at the top of this howto). They should work without generating the errors you are getting. That's in fact why I made the euilds - to get people over these myriad little problems.

If you like, you can replace the iswraid.h and iswraid.c with the 1.4 version. I have done that and tested it, and will issue an updated ebuild soon, although if you are in a hurry to have the 0.1.4 driver, then just replace the two files.
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ill try the ebuilds again and replace the files with those versions...out of curiousity what version is the one you have in your ebuilds? im gonna get those again and save them in my comp and get some sleep and try again as soon as i wake up..thx again
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the original driver: version 0.0.6 to be precise. When I tried to use the version posted by Martins Krikis sometime around March, I got the same error as you are having.

Version 0.1.4 manually fitted into the sources after emerging the i875p-iswraid-sources ebuild, as I describe above, seems to work quite stably on my machine, and since there appear to have been quite a few fixes to iswraid since version 0.0.6, it can't hurt to use the new driver.

Given that you follow the howto for the ebuilds (making sure to use the example config file) and use a modified genkernel as I describe (need to create appropriate device nodes in the initrd, among other things), you should get a working system that boots properly. What's your machine setup look like, by the way?

Some people have reported a problem installing grub, likely related to fstab entries or pre-existing device.map: their solution has been to boot the new kernel using lilo, and then to install grub once booted "native". I did not run into this issue, although I did have to use non-devfs fstab entries while booted on the Kannotix kernel prior to installing grub, and then changed it to devfs format entries just before rebooting onto the new kernel. I suggest also using the --recheck flag when running grub-install to ensure that any existing device.map is ignored.
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asus p4p800 motherboard
2 x 512 mb 3200 mushkin ram
2.6ht pentium 4
soundblaster audigy
nvidia 5200fx 128 mb
2 x wd 36.7 raptors
1 cdrom/cdrw
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok lack of sleep or whatever and i have no clue what i did different this time but my half ass system loaded and its running. i just need to configure the rest like um lol passwd

i followed serendipity's guide but used lilo and i made sure i did the devfs fstab naming convention switch in before i run updated lilo and switched it back but it still booted to busybox but then out of luck i guess i just typed in the other naming convension and it loaded up root...

also it does say iswraid is loaded but it didnt find ataraid

i just need to clean up the system and actually figure out what i did different to get it half up and running.
serendipity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic is init the initrd and the kernel compile options, since you need some things as modules and some compiled directly in to the kernel. I was unable, despite many tries, to get an iswraid compiled into the kernel to function properly.

You won't get any message that ataraid has loaded either; iswraid messages, yes, and perhaps something along the lines of

Code:

iswraid: Registering volume #0 with name RAID over 2 member disks as a RAID device with minor 0, ATARAID raiddev 0
timere969
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Intel Software Raid Might Eat Drives Reply with quote

Be careful with using Intel's software raid, it has already eaten two of my drives. I am switching back to regular usage as we speak.
Salutken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum... I have a question ! I enabled the Raid compatibility in the bios and my two drives are in : /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc and /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

First time I do it :? Not sure how
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Any progress Reply with quote

Yesterday I bought 2 Hitachi SATA of 80Gb each one (around $ 60) I went home, configure my raid with the Intel – on boot – utility that my P4P800 Deluxe MOBO have. I booted up my old Gentoo installation hopping to see the raid 0 that I’ve just created as sda or hdx, but instead I found sda and sdb, it is not seeing it as an array of hardrives but it sees them as just Sata Hardrives.

I have read this post and my question is if there is any news or something related to solve this, I noted that the last posts where more that 4 month old. So I was checking to see if some one could help my out here.

Thanks in advance.
Basin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I inderstand it this is the old 2.4 kernel way of doing things. With the 2.6 kernel (which i'll presume you're using) you use dmraid. Here's the HOWTO you need to follow https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-258981.html . I've got this set up and it's running nicely.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: