Epsxe functionality?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDauthi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Epsxe functionality? Reply with quote

I pulled out my old playstation games a few hours ago, thought I'd play Final Fantasy Tactics for a while. emerged epsxe, psemu-peopsspu and psemu-gpupetemesagl. Tried to start Tactics.. no luck. It spins up the CD-ROM drive... and spins it down. Then it sits there until I go to the console and kill it. Sometimes (seemingly at random), it goes a little further, changes video mode, then tries to start the sound.. and stops (there are no messages after it claims to be starting the SPU) I made sure there was nothing else using /dev/dsp. No luck. I made an ISO image of the Tactics CD, no luck, same problem (well, it's not spinning up the CD-rom). I tried running a few other PS games, no luck. I beat my head into my desk for a few minutes, that didn't fix anything either.
Has anyone else had problems like this, or have any idea what's wrong?
System Info:
P3 933, 256 megs of ram, NVidia GeForce 2 MX (using the nvidia drivers), glibc 2.3.1, XFree 4.2.1

TIA,
TheDauthi
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Bios? Reply with quote

I believe you need the PSX Bios to play any games... try searching google, you should come up with something.
TheDauthi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have a PS bios. I've even gotten it to boot once... unfortunately, only once.
I think I'll go back to prodding it now.
BinaryAlchemy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OpenGL plugin gave me a lot of trouble at first (working now, but still buggy), have you tried using the Software X11 plugin?
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favourite games of all time, so after reading your post I decided to dig it up. I was unable to find FFT, but was able to test Castlevania and Final Fantasy 7. Both worked very well using software mode, and just as well using opengl (but now played at an acceptable speed). I followed the guide on the official site, step-by-step, so hopefully that will work for you if you have not tried yet
http://www.epsxe.com/help.php
I emerged psemu-padjoy and psemu-gpupetemesagl as well. Most importantly, full-screen modes would not work while using opengl, attempting to do so caused problems similar to what you have described. They did work in software mode though.

Also, emerge failed with my default CFLAGS, but dropping but
march=i686 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer worked fine

I'm running Gentoo 1.4_rc on a P4 1.7 with an Nvidia Geforce 2 and the gentoo-sources kernel with pre-empt enabled

Lastly, make sure the CD-ROM is unmounted, and Nvidia is your default opengl device (as root, 'opengl-update nvidia') I found this had unset itself on my system. Also, the ebuild automatically sets up the recommended bios, so I hope that's the one you were referring to when you said you had a bios installed.

Good Luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: