Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo is GenSWEET
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Gentoo is GenSWEET Reply with quote

A good friend of mine ran across the articles of Gentoo on linuxtoday and passed them off to me. I quickly looked at the screenshots page (thinking this was just another Lindows/Redhat/blah distro) and wasn't impressed, so I closed the window and forgot about it.

I then ran across Gentoo again in another article, and actually took the time to read it... that is when I found out the true Gentoo power! <smashing head through monitor>

In all seriousness, as a power user (self-proclaimed at least) and speed freak, the whole CONCEPT for Gentoo had me wetting my pants from the first time I read the about page and all the documentation until the time I was booting KDE and using it (from a recent RedHat 7.3beta2 install). I don't need to tell the Gentoo users here about the speed increases... but damn I was impressed!

I was finally running a system that was comparable in speed to Windows XP for me, the fact that KDE 3 uses the patented SweetAssDesktop(tm) technology helps a lot, but compiling and installing Gentoo was just fun in a computer-nerdy sort of way as well!

This isn't to mention also that I am running this on an nForce board with all the onboard support working just fine.

I am sending a giant virtual hug to the whole Gentoo team, keep up the good work!
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Gentoo is now my main distro. I went from Red Hat --> Slack --> LFS --> GENTOO!

And I'm staying.
NU-Slacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed a similar path.

Slackware -> more Slackware -> RedHat -> Gentoo

It seems to me, that Slackware is excellent for learning. You get to do everything by hand and get to see how stuff really works. RedHat tries to hide most everything from the user. Lets give them a gui to do everything. It was nice for a while stuff just automagically worked. But then it got old as I would update packages, the gui would become out of date, broken, etc. Gentoo is like the best of both worlds. You do the nitty-gritty like Slack, but stuff like dependencies and setting up NVidia support still works almost automagically. It seems to me almost as stable as Slack, much faster than RedHat, and an all around great system. I am thoroughly impressed.
gaskill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is the first Linux distribution I've actually liked. Probably because before I tried RedHat and Mandrake, and didn't ever know what was going on. This time I actually know what I've got.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Same experience here Reply with quote

I'm also running Gentoo on an nForce board - very sweet. I have yet to get sound working, but I haven't worked on it much.
yob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaskil... exactly the same for me...

tried redhat / fbsd / debian... each time got no further than the install..

With gentoo, i'm actually learning how everything works and fits together..

veyr sweet.

James
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone from redhat 5.2 to mandrake to lycoris to gentoo, and I'm staying put!

could someone please send me some info on how to setup gentoo on an nforce board?

I have some friends with these boards that I'm trying to convert from windows ;) and it'd be great for someone to give me the heads up on the nforce and linux.

if you like you could email me

csmart@bigpond.net.au

very much appreciated :D
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet ain't the half of it!

I'm get caught now and then (can't boot for the moment) but DAMN! GENTOO!

Started with mandrake 8.1 in february >> gentoo after tons of reading and learning. Also tried (for the hell of it with no serious intentions) Lycoris, Demolinux, LNX-BBC, linuxcare bootable toolbox, Red Hat 7.2, 7.2.93beta, slackware 7.2 & 8, mandrake 8.2 and SuSE 6.3

I'm sticking with gentoo!
dnaquin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First distro I've actually liked as well.

Tried SuSE, but hated the fact that if it doesn't make it, it screws up because of it.
Tried Slackware, Debian, but had problems with silly package management and dependency checking.

Gentoo is the greatest.
don
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
gentoo totally rocks! I've been using gnu/linux since .99r16 and have moved from sls,slackware,debian,redhad,suse and although each have their merits, gentoo embodies the hacker spirit. Thanks for the great work guys/gals!

Cheers,

don
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: