"Sharing" a cd recorder over net
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: "Sharing" a cd recorder over net Reply with quote

Hello world,
I have an all-linux lan (1 server + 12 clients, w/ nis & nfs) and I want to "share" a cd recorder I have installed on one of the clients. i.e. have it like a local device on each client so that cdrtools frontends work with it. Is there any way to do this ?
[I know I can use it w/ ssh & mkisofs+cdrecord & that's what I'm doing, but normal users here have difficulties running even k3b :)]

.:: zen ::.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I cant be very accurate on this, but if I recall correctly, usermin (webmin) has a cdburn interface. You could have user log into the server (with the burner inside) using usermin on a webrowser. Have them copy their files to the server in a dir with a size equal to a CD and control the burn process through their webbrowser. I don't use this myself but I noticed it when I was browsing through webmin. It is under "hardware"
Maybe check it out.
True
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I setup a burner to share in our office a while back and found that the best way to do it was to use VNC. Set the VNC display to 800x600 and just leave the CD burner application open full screen. You can then create a VNC icon on a users desktop (Windows or Linux) that they can click on to open the session. Personally I found this solution a lot more user friendly than webmin (which I do like BTW), noone even knew it was a Linux box - until I told them ;-)
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a very interesting thing to do on the whole! However, I think that a major problem - apart from front ends - is handling the cd burns in a "queue" mode (like printer jobs): otherwise there will be a lot of times when more than 1 client try to access the device simultaneously (wether you use ssh and terminal apps or vnc or remote X connections). In that regard, aardvark's suggestion is the best fitting answer to the problem. Even if there is no such support inside webmin or you don't want to install the whole thing a custom cgi interface could be easily built.
True
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that's a very interesting thing to do on the whole! However, I think that a major problem - apart from front ends - is handling the cd burns in a "queue" mode (like printer jobs): otherwise there will be a lot of times when more than 1 client try to access the device simultaneously (wether you use ssh and terminal apps or vnc or remote X connections). In that regard, aardvark's suggestion is the best fitting answer to the problem. Even if there is no such support inside webmin or you don't want to install the whole thing a custom cgi interface could be easily built

Good point. I would add that if somene VNC's into the box while someone else is burning a CD then it'll be obvious that somone else is on it. But you're right, you can't queue up jobs etc this way.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx all for answering. I also found a program called webcdwriter on freshmeat.net & I'm gonna try as soon as I have time. The VNC solution is also interesting.
I also found that interesting link :
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/man/README/README.rscsi
Has anyone tried it ? If anyone has an already running setup & could try it out I' d be grateful, since I'm currently *VERY* busy setting up the new workstations & upgrading the older ones :)

.:: zen ::.[/url]
waverider202
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Hyper Scsi Reply with quote

HyperScsi is a program for sharing ide/scsi devices on a net. It does exactly what you want, except the whole queue thing. Heres some links http://freshmeat.net/releases/95543/ and [url]http://nst.dsi.a-star.edu.sg/mcsa/lxr/hyperscsi/ [/url]
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyper Scsi Reply with quote

waverider202 wrote:
HyperScsi is a program for sharing ide/scsi devices on a net. It does exactly what you want, except the whole queue thing. Heres some links http://freshmeat.net/releases/95543/ and [url]http://nst.dsi.a-star.edu.sg/mcsa/lxr/hyperscsi/ [/url]

Thanx a lot. This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll try it in 2 weeks or so (out for vacation at last 8)) and I'll post results.

.:: zen ::.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: