Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alsa & Laptop Volume Buttons
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b1ind

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Alsa & Laptop Volume Buttons Reply with quote

After installing alsa and its support programs, I ran mpg123 to test my sound, and it was playing as expected. However, as soon as I attempted to increase the volume using my 'Fn+Page Up' key combination, the sound seemed to crash. Before having installed the Alsa drivers, I could properly use the laptop volume buttons to increase the volume beyond what alsamixer permitted. It seems that I have to restart linux in order to regain sound.

My laptop is an Inspiron 7500, with an ESS Maestro-2E sound card (es1968). Perhaps other people could verify this, or tell me an alternative way to increase my sound level beyond what alsamixer allows.

Thanks
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.. i have an insp.8k and never got the buttons to work... these buttons are NOT hardwired to your soundcard and so your driver has to take care about this...

#mb
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try JeruKey (http://jerukey.sourceforge.net/main.php) to get the buttons working. I'm using JeruKey with the 'multimedia keys' on my keyboard, and it's working perfectly :)

Bye,

Niek.
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uii.. sounds good....

xfree seems to respond.. (xev shows up some keycodes).. but not not volume up/down (<- not Fn+some_key)

i will give it a try...

#mb
b1ind

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried JeruKey, but it seems to have failed to install correctly. Also, I'm not sure, but I suspect that my Fn+PageUp and Fn+PageDn work differently than the mutlimedia keys present on the i8k. What I'm really looking for is a way to prevent my habituan use of those keys from killing the sound, or even some insight as to why this would happen.

Thanks again
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: