Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Man I am totally freaked to run etc-update.............
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Man I am totally freaked to run etc-update............. Reply with quote

After reading some horor stories about etc-update from the gentoolkit I aint so sure I want to do it although everytime I emerge something or do anything with emerge it says that one /etc file needs updating. I have a backup script running on start up (thanks Roy) now but still I don't have the time to do all the /etc file checking by hand or to save an attempt to update gone wrong. Was there a bug in the gentoolkit that has been fixed or is there a specific way that I should run it to avoid fking things up? Thanks.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Man I am totally freaked to run etc-update............. Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
I don't have the time to do all the /etc file checking by hand or to save an attempt to update gone wrong.

I understand the lack of time, but you really should force yourself to make time. Relying upon etc-update to make all the decisions for you is not a good course of action as you'll eventually run into trouble. Besides, once you get used to diff'ing the /etc files, you can get through a whole batch pretty quick. I had 36 to do the other day and got through them in under 15 minutes.

Also, if you do fubar something, since you're backing up your /etc directory, all you have to do is copy the backup over /etc and you should be up and running again.

My advice is to spend the time now to get used to diff -- you'll quickly find that it's not nearly as onerous as you might think.

--kurt
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use the diff command....and look over each entry....its a good idea the first time you do it to write down the cfg files that were generated and then go down the list making notes as you change them ...as you are satisfied that you can update the old etc files just use the mv command....you can cp the originals to whatevertheywereto beginwith.old if you are particularly paranoid...but its not as bad as it looks and most will just be system stuff that can be mv'ed without your having to do anything but look at them....once you have made it through just run rsync and update world often so its not so many at one time.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could write a script that backs up all the new config files and check them when you get more time, but as kleiber stated you can get used to the process and do the config checking quickly using diff.

I always pop open two consoles one with the names of the new config files and one to do the diff'ing on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: