MasonS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
MasonS wrote:
Are plug-ins working for everyone else?
what plugins do you mean?

Anything, really, but most noticeably the Flash player.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasonS wrote:
Anything, really, but most noticeably the Flash player.
The Macromedia Flashplayer 7 is working in my IE. It is not so fast as it is in Linux and some time it redraws it self for no reason, but it works.

cheers

SteveB
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new installation method for the latest Wine 20040615. Check the first message of this topic.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the newest installation method with 20040615 and I needed to add "mshtml" = "native" to the main dlloverrides section for it to work, just adding it where the instructions said to add it didn't work. It crahes a lot but it works well enough to test out my web pages.

Arg IE's CSS support is horrendous, can't believe it doesn't even understand "position: fixed;".
1der
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: https ??? Reply with quote

does anybody have the https working?

whenever I go to a secure site I get a page not found.

besides that it works. ( it does crash often, don't know if this is because wine or just IExplorer sucks - hey at least when it crashes it doesn't take my desktop like windows :):):))

If anyone could tell me how to get the https working I would be very happy!!!
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whenever I go to a secure site I get a page not found.
I have the same problem, fortunately there aren't any https sites I want it for.
1der
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Malakin,

unfortunately for me I have to use it only for those sites.

Like banking... where they don't support anything but IExplorer.

I remember seeing a screenshot of people going to secure sites with wine and internet explorer. just wondered how and what they did to get it.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always switch banks to one that supports web standards instead of IE. Fortunately the banks here all or at least mostly support other browsers but if mine didn't I'd just switch and make sure they knew why I was closing my account. Have you tried using a "user agent" switcher so the banks website thinks you're using IE?
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These DllOverrides supposedly make SSL work.
1der
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D :D :D
IT WORKS!!!!

THANKS YOU - Mirrorball.

Malkin: switching banks is to much of a hastle for me and my wife. :wink: . Besides its a good bank. Anyway Mirrorball got it to work. so I'm happy. - thanks
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to update wine to 20040615-r1 but things weren't working very well so I'm downgrading to 20040615 again. Does anyone have a similar experience?
dju`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of. i've just emerged 20040716, and tried the second method of the 1st post, it worked.
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just emerged 20040716 too and it is possible to install IE using the first method, which is a lot simpler than the second.
PC_Freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have IE running using kanaric's procedure, but there's one problem. Many sites make IE crash and return and unhandled exception. I tried Google.com, which works perfectly, but trying to load usebb.net for example makes IE return an error.

Any ideas?
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that popup windows make IE freeze or sometimes when I'm entering a url. It's not very stable, don't rely on Wine if you really need IE.
eee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: IE5 & 5.5? Reply with quote

Why were the instructions for IE5 and 5.5 removed? I was able to get both installed using the howto. Using WINEPREFIX, I've got IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 all running at the same time on the same machine. It's fantastic for web development—especially when I've got to do a quick check of a box model hack. Linux—the ultimate Microsoft development environment :!:
PC_Freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC_Freak wrote:
I have IE running using kanaric's procedure, but there's one problem. Many sites make IE crash and return and unhandled exception. I tried Google.com, which works perfectly, but trying to load usebb.net for example makes IE return an error.

Any ideas?
I think I've found out why it crashed. I had something in my CSS to apply opacity to a single icon which worked in IE normally. I removed it and now just use a custom image for it (it wasn't W3C valid after all). Now it doesn't crash anymore on usebb.net, but still on msn.com, so it might have something to do with the popup window. Perhaps installing the Google toolbar will help... :)
mattswell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cannot get any of these methods to work.. it APARENTLY installs correctly, but once i execute IE, it just dumps be back to terminal without any error msgs or debug msgs. nothing. i have tried every method listed with the same results.

Code:
matt@ruckus matt $ wine ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE
matt@ruckus matt $

Code:
matt@ruckus matt $ WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE
warn:imm:ImmAssociateContext ((nil), 0x40399538): semi-stub
err:shell:ReadCabinetState Initializing shell cabinet settings
matt@ruckus matt $

wine version and ebuild flags

Code:
matt@ruckus matt $ wine --version
Wine 20040716

[ebuild   R   ] app-emulation/wine-20040716  +X +alsa -arts +cups -debug -nas -nptl +opengl -tcltk  0 kB
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: IE5 & 5.5? Reply with quote

eee wrote:
Why were the instructions for IE5 and 5.5 removed? I was able to get both installed using the howto. Using WINEPREFIX, I've got IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 all running at the same time on the same machine.

How did you do it? I downloaded IE 5 and 5.5 from Skyzyx.com and ran iexplore.exe but I soon discovered that it was IE 6 running by the way it displayed the pages.
eee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: IE5 & 5.5? Reply with quote

Mirrorball wrote:
eee wrote:
Why were the instructions for IE5 and 5.5 removed? I was able to get both installed using the howto. Using WINEPREFIX, I've got IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 all running at the same time on the same machine.

How did you do it? I downloaded IE 5 and 5.5 from Skyzyx.com and ran iexplore.exe but I soon discovered that it was IE 6 running by the way it displayed the pages.

I've got three .wine directories containing the three IE installs. To get IE6 intalled, I followed the first method that you described (installed into ~/.wine). To install IE50, I
Code:
$ mkdir ~/.wine_ie501sp2
$ export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_ie501sp2

Then I followed the 1st howto again. The only difference was that when I ran the iesetup.exe executable, it extracted the setup CABs, EXEs, etc into "~/IE 5.01 SP2 Full". I moved that directory into ~/.wine_ie501sp2/fake_windows, then picked up stepp 7 again with:
Code:
wine ~/.wine_ie501sp2/fake_windows/IE 5.01 SP2 Full/IE5SETUP.EXE

Did the same thing for IE55 (using .wine_ie55sp2 as my WINEPREFIX).

To run the three at the same time, I do the following:
Code:
$ export -n WINEPREFIX=
$ wine .wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE &
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_ie55sp2 wine ~/.wine_ie55sp2/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE &
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_ie501sp2 wine .wine_ie501sp2/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE &

I'm quite sure that I'm running the three distinct versions because they each report the correct version to servers and my personal site looks like crap (but different crap) in each of the three.

Let me know if I haven't included enough info here. And thanks so much for the HOWTO. This is the first time that I've ever successfully run *anything* in wine, so it must be the HOWTO!
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to test your procudure right now but I'm going to include a link to your message in the first post of this thread.
@TIF3AR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattswell wrote:
i cannot get any of these methods to work.. it APARENTLY installs correctly, but once i execute IE, it just dumps be back to terminal without any error msgs or debug msgs. nothing. i have tried every method listed with the same results.

Code:
matt@ruckus matt $ wine ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE
matt@ruckus matt $

Code:
matt@ruckus matt $ WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine ~/.wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE
warn:imm:ImmAssociateContext ((nil), 0x40399538): semi-stub
err:shell:ReadCabinetState Initializing shell cabinet settings
matt@ruckus matt $

wine version and ebuild flags

Code:
matt@ruckus matt $ wine --version
Wine 20040716

[ebuild   R   ] app-emulation/wine-20040716  +X +alsa -arts +cups -debug -nas -nptl +opengl -tcltk  0 kB

I have the same problem :cry:
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't change security options when I install IE on Wine 20040716. I think it's better to install IE on Wine 20040615 and then upgrade to 20040716.

Last edited by Mirrorball on Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
ravingsanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: No system.reg! Reply with quote

I'm running wine 20040716 and I followed the first set of directions. Everything seemed to go well and just as expected. However, when I try to run IEXPLORE.EXE, nothing happens. The command prompt returns with no errors and no IE either! I saw a couple other posts in here that suggested to me that I needed the system.reg file (and, btw, that's step 11 from the second set of directions but it is absent in the first set! It goes from 10 directly to 12) but when I went to the link, Frank's Corner had been taken down! Does anyone know where I can get this file or another way to work around this problem?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: