Gentoo hates me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nzer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Gentoo hates me? Reply with quote

hah.. it must be that Gentoo hates me. Been using Linux for a few years now, originally Debian. I decided.. about a year ago .. that Debian was too outdated and slow. I went on a hunt to find a new OS. I discovered Gentoo.. I think it was version 0.8 0.9 ? I dunno. It worked great.. I loved Gentoo then!

NOW.. to cut a long story short Gentoo had to be removed to the update to 1.4. So .. off i go start the install.. seg fault.. blah seg fault. OK I think. i'm running a Duron 600 at 1000.. thats probably the problem.

So now we get to this week.. I buy an Athlon XP 1800.. get given a new video card. No way Gentoo can escape from being installed again! BUT no.. KDE fails even with this new computer.. ON THE SAME THING.. kdelibs.

I can't think what is going wrong.. I guess it could be USE flags.. I use all the default ones except do -gnome -gtk. Could it be my motherboard.. HDD , (oh the RAM is new as well)

*sigh*.. if anyone can help me before I have to go and install Mandrake 9 I'll be very very grateful!

- Andrew
Rhiz()m3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: The Answer to your problems is: Reply with quote

The Answer to your KDE problems is:emerge nautilus2.

>nano -w ~/.xinitrc

comment out the call to start KDE if it exists.
add this line:
exec gnome-session

Then your KDE woes will be over.. :lol:
nzer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... kdelibs failed again just after i posted before.. i'm now trying gnome (only 59 bloody packages to download and compile)..

i'm going slightly mental but I might be calling mother to ask to borrow her XP disc.. NO no .. hah
mongrel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: kdelibs Reply with quote

the kdelibs failure you described has been happing to a lot of people. look around the message board for similar errors. ( i have it too currently but haven't found a solution because finals are almost here)
nzer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm well others aren't getting segfaults.. mine always segfaults .. and at different places..

only 7 packages to go on Gnome install
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

segfaults often are ram related...look at the your ram timings in the bios and make sure they arent agressive....sometime something simple like disabling interleave or going from 1T to 2T will do it.

i had only one issue with gnome ...it wasnt kde
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: