View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: very weird mozilla problem Reply with quote

I have a weird problem with mozilla that someone may have seen before and can help me with. When I start mozilla, the graphics are there, and words i type are there, but all other words are rendered as flat lines, like underlines, but with no letters.

Look at www.teamcrotty.org/snapshot2.png to see it...sorry about having to make it a screenshot, couldn't think of any other way to do it...

I emerged the mozilla-1.0.1-r2, had this problem, unmerged it and tried mozilla-1.0.1-r3, with the same problem. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Do i have to emerge some other package?

Thanks,
Crotty
Ataraxis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happened to me when i upgraded my xfree. restarting X and xfs fixed that.

Good Luck

Ataraxis
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: negative Reply with quote

that's a negative, ghost rider, all patterns are full

restarting X/ rebooting machine did not correct my problem

i ahve Xfree 4.2.1 installed, if that has anything to do with it...

thanks, though

damn this is annoying...

crotty
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird...I actually noticed that same thing a couple times when I was SSHing into my Linux machine and running Mozilla over the network from the Sun Blade workstations in my school's CS department. My impression was that the Sun didn't have a font that was specified in my Mozilla setup. Try changing to different fonts in Mozilla->Edit->Preferences->Appearance or just make sure that Moz can find your font directories (make sure that /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js points to the right font dirs).
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the fonts inside of mozilla didn't seem to change anything at all. however, in the /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js file, there is this:
pref("font.directory.truetype.1", "/usr/share/fonts/truetype");
pref("font.directory.truetype.2", "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF");
pref("font.directory.truetype.3", "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype");

however, these are just for truetype fonts? i'm sorry if i'm a font idiot, but is that just a regular font? i was wondering if i could add another directory to that, so i emerged app-text/freefonts and app-text/sharefonts, and added the dirs they put in there

i haven't restarted X yet, because i'm working on this super sweet reply, but that didn't add any fonts to the font menu in mozilla appearance prefs. Any other ideas?

Thanks very much for past and future help,
crotty
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, are you using a font server (xfs) or just having X and Moz directly use your font directories?

Another thing you could try is moving to those font directories specified in the file above and running ttmkfdir and mkfontdir. I believe those programs allow Mozilla to access the fonts in the directory directly, with no need for a font server. Then when you start Mozilla go to the preferences and make sure you select a truetype font (ie, one that begins with a capital letter). I don't think it will hurt anything to run ttmkfdir and mkfontdir on any of your font directories so you may as well give it a shot.
Alternatively you could try looking in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to see where X is getting its fonts from and try to make sure that your Mozilla unix.js file matches.
crotty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at first i was just having X and Moz directly use the font directories (i'm assuming) because xfs wasn't running
then i started xfs, and it said scanning font dirs, and came up, but there was no change in how mozilla rendered
then i tried ttmkfdir at the sharefont and freefont directories, in the directory, so on and so forth, but to no avail
it kept returning 0
in the TTF and truetype directories, it did what it was supposed to do, but that didn't change mozilla
mkfontdir did nothing for any of them (it didn't display anything...)
finally, i copied all XF86Config FontDir entries to the unix.js file, but to no avail...
should i try to emerge some truetype font thing? i am absolutely stumped...
thanks very much for your help,
Crotty
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: