Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2nd request: access violation summary? disable sandbox?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: 2nd request: access violation summary? disable sandbox? Reply with quote

When trying to do a stage 3 install, I always get an access violation error
on the step
emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

. It usually looks something like this.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=23965

I've tried gentoo-sources, and I've wiped out the disk and made xfs partitions and did emerge sys-kernel/xfs-sources.

Other posts have said to disable the sandbox. I haven't tried doing because I don't understand the implications of doing so.

I have three questions:

All my partitions are mounted, I'm at root, I have network access,

1)How do I recover from this error?
2)What is the likely cause?
3)If I disable the sandbox for this step, what are the implications?

To tell the truth, I am getting very frustrated at this and about to give up. The only other possible problem I can see is that perhaps I downloaded the wrong stage 3 tarball. I downloaded the athlon t-bird stage 3 instead of the generic athlon (I can't remember if my athlon processor was tbird or not).

Robert Nagle
www.idiotprogrammer.com
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you have tbird, maybe by using cat /proc/cpuinfo. It looks very strange /mnt/gentoo/WEIRDNAME, so it's probably sandbox miss firing, lot of people have installed gentoo-sources I would think, not that many have reported such errors.

Sandbox protects your root system, it only gives write access to specific directories, so somehow the ebuild script wants to write outside of it's normal path (/var/tmp/portage/gentoo-sources*/), normally this happens when creating a new ebuild and forgetting to override some variable, seeing lots of people use the same ebuild (according to gentoo-stats 58.2% uses gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r9) and don't have any problem.

You can try disabling sandbox and try to deduce why it write in such a strange place, by checking what it writes in /mnt/gentoo/.... . Implications is that it can write anywhere and thus can break your system.

Seeing it wants to write in /mnt/gentoo It could be either by stating the wrong processor / not mounting /proc etc, that something is up with your chroot environment, cause I'm sure the script itself and no default setting in /etc/make.conf points to or uses /mnt/gentoo .

Are you sure you didn't skip a step of the install instruction?

Hope you fix it,

Cya lX.
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: thanks and... Reply with quote

how to wipe that step clean?

delete /var/tmp/portage/gentoo-sources
??

Has the step actually written anything or changed anything so far? How would I know?

rj
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: