sparc64, 64bit userland stuff
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: sparc64, 64bit userland stuff Reply with quote

I've been thinking about 64-bit userland on sparc64 recently. Yes, I know how Linux on sparc64 currently works, and why it is probably faster on most tasks (cache and memory usage mostly).

But, noticing how the AMD64 arch is decently supported by Gentoo, and seeing that some people seem to have AMD64 installs with mixed 64-bit and 32-bit userlands, I was wondering if the same could be done with sparc. I know there's been trouble with glibc - getting the dynamic linker to pick the right set of libraries for the right executable - but if the AMD64 guys got it sorted out, can't the same things be done on sparc? Or are there sparc-specific catches?

Another question: suppose I wanted to see what happened with a full 64-bit build. I have both 32-bit and 64-bit binary support in the kernel, would there be a problem with installing and testing a 64-bit system within a chroot from the current running 32-bit userland? IE, does the chroot seperate the 32-bit and 64-bit userlands enough that the only difference is in the kernel?

I'd really like to see a fully working mixed 32/64 bit system on sparc :-)
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

64 sparc is really slow, except maybe for crypto stuff, I have done some work making 64-bit userland working together with 32-bit, it's not difficult to patch glibc to tell ld to pick up the right libs.

xming
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xming wrote:
64 sparc is really slow, except maybe for crypto stuff, I have done some work making 64-bit userland working together with 32-bit, it's not difficult to patch glibc to tell ld to pick up the right libs.

xming

I'd still be curious to try it. Do you have the exact steps to apply the patches and set everything up posted somewhere? And does it work under a chroot, so I can keep my existing 32-bit system?
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have the exact steps to apply the patches and set everything up posted somewhere?

yes https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32487

Quote:
And does it work under a chroot, so I can keep my existing 32-bit system?

yes

You can have a try, as for now I don't have much time so I won't be testing/developing it, but I will help you when I have time

xming
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: