Java runtime install confuses me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night Goat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Java runtime install confuses me Reply with quote

OK, I found a bit of documentation on how to install java. It said basically, emerge blackdown-jre. So I did that, and then I ran java-config since it made sense to at least give that a test run. I got a message saying that no Java installation was found, and to run 'java-config --set-system-vm=???' to set a system-wide installation. But nowhere have I found the right syntax for blackdown. I tried --set-system-vm=blackdown and --set-system-vm=blackdown-jre, but neither of those worked. The man page for java-config didn't go over the possible entries there either. If anyone who has installed a JVM successfully could reply and let me know what they did, that'd be great. I'm not married to blackdown, I just saw it in some other documentation. I'll remove it if it leads to a proper JVM installation.
slik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Java runtime install confuses me Reply with quote

Night Goat wrote:
run 'java-config --set-system-vm=???' to set a system-wide installation. But nowhere have I found the right syntax

Example:

Code:
java-config --list-available-vms

produces the following output:

[blackdown-jdk-1.3.1] Blackdown JDK 1.3.1 (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jdk-1.3.1)
[blackdown-jre-1.3.1] Blackdown JRE 1.3.1 (/etc/env.d/java/20blackdown-jre-1.3.1)

now you can go (as root)

Code:
java-config --set-system-vm=blackdown-jdk-1.3.1

or
Code:
java-config --set-system-vm=blackdown-jre-1.3.1

like it's shown in the square brackets.
Night Goat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that worked. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: