View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: iptables-1.2.9-r2? Reply with quote

mernisse wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems emerging net-firewall/iptables on a RaQ2+ / Qube? I tried tonight on my near-freshly installed RaQ2+ (more or less Kumba's stage 3 + a bunch of tiny tweaks running kernel 2.6.7 and a couple of other basic utilities)

Incase this helps anyone, I ended up merging the 2.4.x mips-sources package, changing the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to that one and compiled iptables-1.2.11 (edited the ebuild to unmask it). It compiled and installed with no problems.

Once I was done, I pointed the symlink back to the 2.6.7 kernel and unmerged the 2.4 mips-sources.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "oddity" is because of the way Gentoo does kernel headers. One reason you are advised in other distros to never change the /usr/src/linux symlink is because these point to the running system headers, and in some circles, it is believed these headers should match the version of kernel in your system.

In non-gentoo systems, /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm are normally symlinks to /usr/src/linux/include/linux and /usr/src/linux/include/asm (w/ /usr/src/linux/include/asm being a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-<ARCH>). For gentoo, though, the linux-headers (or for mips systems, mips-headers) package installs headers directly into /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm. By making these two directories not rely on symlinks to /usr/src/linux, you remove the need to maintain a /usr/src/linux symlink around. But, some ebuilds are a little weird, and still use it anyways. An issue I'll be opening a bug on shortly, since not only have I run into this issue several times on multiple systems/archs, but now user reports are having it too (atleast for mips, I'm quite sure it's been reported for other archs at random).

Anyways, just FYI, for cobalt and sgi machines, right now, all users should be using mips-headers-2.4.x (whatever is stable). There are mips-headers-2.6.x, but they're for testing only. Stay very far away from them. it's safe to run mips-sources-2.6.x w/ 2.4 system headers. The only time you really need 2.6 headers is if you run NPTL, which is an impossibility on mips right now..

--Kumba
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: more network related woes Reply with quote

Now that I have iptables up and running, I noticed that the system seems to perform just fine (downloading at 300+kbyte/sec over my cable link) when you've only got one interface up. However the moment I bring up the second interface pings on the second interface (eth1 - cable modem) jump to 3-6 SECONDS and pings on the first interface (eth0) jump to 3ms (100M-FDX). I thought this was my cable provider's problem but as soon as I swapped back to my old router (p-133 running Slackware w/ Linux 2.6.6) pings are .01ms on the internal and 10ms on the external interfaces.

I don't know if this is the pci chipset acting up or network driver issues -- has anyone else seen similar issues, if so are there any workarounds anyone's found?

Again, I'm more than happy to provide more info, and if anyone wants to poke around the box to see if they can extract any info, just shoot me an email (mernisse at ub3rgeek dot net and I'll see if I can hook you up).

Thanks in advance
don_thomaso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: more network related woes Reply with quote

mernisse wrote:
Now that I have iptables up and running, I noticed that the system seems to perform just fine (downloading at 300+kbyte/sec over my cable link) when you've only got one interface up. However the moment I bring up the second interface pings on the second interface (eth1 - cable modem) jump to 3-6 SECONDS and pings on the first interface (eth0) jump to 3ms (100M-FDX). I thought this was my cable provider's problem but as soon as I swapped back to my old router (p-133 running Slackware w/ Linux 2.6.6) pings are .01ms on the internal and 10ms on the external interfaces.

I don't know if this is the pci chipset acting up or network driver issues -- has anyone else seen similar issues, if so are there any workarounds anyone's found?

Again, I'm more than happy to provide more info, and if anyone wants to poke around the box to see if they can extract any info, just shoot me an email (mernisse at ub3rgeek dot net and I'll see if I can hook you up).

Thanks in advance

My Qube 2 is almost up and running, I'm installing iptables and some other stuff atm. I'll let you know how it performs later today.

How did you get iptables to compile? I'm getting the following error:

!!! ERROR: net-firewall/iptables-1.2.11 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 66, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Fixed it, did the kernel 2.4 thing and it worked like a charm.

The box has been up and routing between the two interfaces for about two hours now and I don't notice any slowdowns...
I could post my kernel config and iptables script if you want...don't know if that would help you
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: more network related woes Reply with quote

don_thomaso wrote:

My Qube 2 is almost up and running, I'm installing iptables and some other stuff atm. I'll let you know how it performs later today.

How did you get iptables to compile? I'm getting the following error:

!!! ERROR: net-firewall/iptables-1.2.11 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 66, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Fixed it, did the kernel 2.4 thing and it worked like a charm.

The box has been up and routing between the two interfaces for about two hours now and I don't notice any slowdowns...
I could post my kernel config and iptables script if you want...don't know if that would help you

Are you running 2.6? If so I'd be more than grateful to see your kernel config, maybe I missed something in there.

If you don't want to post the .config to the board you can shoot me an email at mernisse at gmail dot com
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: more network related woes Reply with quote

mernisse wrote:

Are you running 2.6? If so I'd be more than grateful to see your kernel config, maybe I missed something in there.

If you don't want to post the .config to the board you can shoot me an email at mernisse at gmail dot com

Kumba has a couple here

I did have Linux 2.6.6 on mine... but it gave me grief with SCSI... It appears I don't seem to have the source tree laying anywhere otherwise I'd upload my config.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
don_thomaso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I went to sleep yesterday i started emerging samba.
Now my box seems completely dead, it doesn't respond to pings, sshd doesn't respond. BUT it still routes packets...
I'll post my .config as soon as i bring the box back to life.

my 2.6.6 .confing
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: more network related woes Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:

Kumba has a couple here

I did have Linux 2.6.6 on mine... but it gave me grief with SCSI... It appears I don't seem to have the source tree laying anywhere otherwise I'd upload my config.

I actually based my .config off Kumba's cobalt-2606.config file, I posted my dotconfig here

I diffed Kumbas and mine, and then don_thomaso's and mine and there's not a noticable difference, mostly in the netfilter and ipsec options (since this is going to be a nat/ipsec gateway router...hopefully)

Anyway, if anyone else notices any big oops, let me know...

BTW: with just the one interface up I downloaded a 25M test file from my ISP's speedtest server and got:
26214400 bytes received in 73.4 secs (3.5e+02 Kbytes/sec)
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mernisse: Interesting problem you describe with the two interfaces up. Not much I can do to test this -- my RaQ2 only has one interface, and the family here prefers a linksys router over a linux box for that stuff (long story). Have you tried 2.6.7 by chance? You might also fire an email to Peter Horton, who did the bulk of the bug fixes to get 2.6.x to run on Cobalt, and see if he might have any ideas. If you discover anything, let me know.

--Kumba
don_thomaso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Qube 2 has been up and running for ~25 hours now, routing packets (iptables), serving webpages (apache 2 + php), samba 3 and a couple of more services all seems to work fine now.

I think the reason the box 'died' was that I wrote some stupid iptables rule that stopped ssh and everything else (besides masq) :oops:

I'll be going away for the weekend, so I hope the box will survive.

I gotta say thanks to Kumba for all support, and of course to all the other people (colo developer, Peter Horton and everyone else who's been involved in this - keep up the good work!)
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
mernisse: Interesting problem you describe with the two interfaces up. Not much I can do to test this -- my RaQ2 only has one interface, and the family here prefers a linksys router over a linux box for that stuff (long story). Have you tried 2.6.7 by chance? You might also fire an email to Peter Horton, who did the bulk of the bug fixes to get 2.6.x to run on Cobalt, and see if he might have any ideas. If you discover anything, let me know.

--Kumba

Actually, I am running 2.6.7. The really odd thing is that there's no errors in any log files, the interface counters show a few errors but nothing major.

I'll shoot peter an email this weekend and see what he thinks, meanwhile if anyone can duplicate this, I'd be intrested -- at least that way I know it isn't my hardware :)

I think I'll also emerge 2.4 again and see if it's 2.6 only or not.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, try the other 2.6.x versions too. mips-sources has 2.6.4 still available, as that's the last known kernel I've gotten an Indigo2 to boot with. I'd like to see if this issue is w/ all 2.6.x kernels on your machine.

--Kumba
DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Cobalt RaQ2 with linux-2.4.26-20040415 not compiling Reply with quote

Help
Im stuck on this one. This is a clean install of gentoo on my Cobalt Raq2. I have the base OS down, just need to get the kernel and a boot loader (colo) on and I should be done. This (see error below) happens when ever I try to compile a 2.4.24, 2.4.25 and 2.4.26 kernel on my Cobalt RaQ 2 server. Any ideas on a fix?? I have spent a few days tring to fix this issue and im stuck. If any one has a working kernel config file that would be of great help. I have tried kumba's kernel config file's but both fail with the same issue.
-DingbatCA

/usr/src/linux-2.4.25-20040222.cobalt/include/asm/softirq.h:25: warning: use of compound expressions as lvalues is deprecated
time.c: In function `ll_timer_interrupt':
time.c:519: warning: use of compound expressions as lvalues is deprecated
time.c:525: warning: use of compound expressions as lvalues is deprecated
time.c: In function `ll_local_timer_interrupt':
time.c:535: warning: use of compound expressions as lvalues is deprecated
time.c:543: warning: use of compound expressions as lvalues is deprecated
time.c: In function `fixed_rate_gettimeoffset':
time.c:242: error: unknown register name `accum' in `asm'
time.c: In function `calibrate_div32_gettimeoffset':
time.c:297: error: unknown register name `accum' in `asm'
time.c: In function `calibrate_div64_gettimeoffset':
time.c:326: error: unknown register name `accum' in `asm'
time.c:353: error: unknown register name `accum' in `asm'
make[1]: *** [time.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.25-20040222.cobalt/arch/mips/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_arch/mips/kernel] Error 2
gentoo-mips-20040426 linux #
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that can't be good...

Are you using mips-sources? (Or using sources downloaded from linux-mips.org)?

The kernel.org kernels are usually lacking quite heavily with reguards to the MIPS architecture, so nasty compile errors like this one are not uncommon if you're using "vanilla" sources.

If it helps, I can put up the sources & config I'm using... as I've had no big issues.

DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Cobalt Raq2 Reply with quote

-Redhatter
All sources have been gentoo sources, "#emerge mips-sources(ver)".
If you would be so kind as to post your config and what kernel version you are running, that would be great.
Thx
-DingbatCA
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... the kernel sources are uploading now as I type... I'll also have the config there shortly.

You'll find the sources & the config at http://www.longlandclan.hopto.org/~stuartl/cobalt/

UPDATE: They're up.

DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same error with the gentoo-sources and your config file. Downloading your kernel source.
Ill give that a shot.
DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: no good Reply with quote

no good with your source. Looks like the mkdep file was built for an X86 box (ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386) Any tricks on recompilling the scripts folder??

/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/src/linux-2.4.26-mipscvs-20040417/scripts/mkdep: cannot execute binary file
make[2]: *** [fastdep] Error 126
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26-mipscvs-20040417/arch/mips/tools'
make[1]: *** [_sfdep_arch/mips/tools] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26-mipscvs-20040417'
make: *** [dep-files] Error 2
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, this is a small problem. The errors regarding "accum" imply you have gcc-3.4.x on your system. You can build a kernel with it, but it will not boot. I'll have to talk w/ the mips team about how to handle the gcc-3.4.x thing.

For now, you probably still have gcc-3.3.x on, just you need to switch to it. Use something like this:
Code:
# gcc-config mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-3.3.3

That will switch you back to a 3.3.3 compiler. Use that to build a kernel (and colo), then switch back to 3.4.x if needed.

I'll post more on this when I get info from other mips team members.

--Kumba
DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Humm, still not working, but much closer Reply with quote

OK, so i told gcc to use the 3.3 configs. The compile whent much farther... but it still dies.. any ideas on this one??

arch/mips/sgi-ip22/ip22-kern.o(.text.init+0x214): In function `init_IRQ':
: multiple definition of `init_IRQ'
arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.text.init+0x0): first defined here
arch/mips/sgi-ip22/ip22-kern.o(.text.init+0xf0): In function `prom_free_prom_memory':
: multiple definition of `prom_free_prom_memory'
arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.text.init+0x294): first defined here
arch/mips/arc/arclib.a(identify.o)(.text+0x0): In function `get_system_type':
: multiple definition of `get_system_type'
arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.text+0x400): first defined here
arch/mips/arc/arclib.a(init.o)(.text.init+0x0): In function `prom_init':
: multiple definition of `prom_init'
arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.text.init+0x18c): first defined here
arch/mips/arc/arclib.a(cmdline.o)(.bss+0x0): multiple definition of `arcs_cmdline'
arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.data+0x40): first defined here
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wipe your tree, and restart. Make sure in "Machine Selection" you select Cobalt Microserver AND unset SGI IP22 (Indy/Indigo2). What's happening is it looks like your trying to compile a kernel that is attempting to build in code for both IP22 AND Cobalt.

--Kumba
DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: durning compile, error Reply with quote

Idea's on this one??

arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.text+0x400): In function `get_system_type':
: undefined reference to `cobalt_board_id'
arch/mips/cobalt/cobalt.o(.text+0x404): In function `get_system_type':
: undefined reference to `cobalt_board_id'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16bc0): In function `setkeycode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_setkeycode'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16bdc): In function `getkeycode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_getkeycode'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16c94): In function `handle_scancode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_translate'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16d50): In function `handle_scancode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_sysrq_key'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16d54): In function `handle_scancode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_sysrq_key'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16f50): In function `handle_scancode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_sysrq_xlate'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16f54): In function `handle_scancode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_sysrq_xlate'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x16f94): In function `handle_scancode':
: undefined reference to `kbd_unexpected_up'
drivers/char/char.o(.text+0x17f80): In function `kbd_bh':
: undefined reference to `kbd_leds'
drivers/char/char.o(.text.init+0x120c): In function `kbd_init':
: undefined reference to `kbd_init_hw'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
If you can, try the other 2.6.x versions too. mips-sources has 2.6.4 still available, as that's the last known kernel I've gotten an Indigo2 to boot with. I'd like to see if this issue is w/ all 2.6.x kernels on your machine.

--Kumba

I had a chance to test the latest 2.4 kernel out of mips-sources and that seems to work OK, granted I'm not using the box as a router at the moment, so if it's the iptables stuff I wouldn't have used it yet...

I will try and get to the 2.6.4 tonight after work, I've been stuck on dialup for the last week so I havn't really had a chance to play with the box much...

((edit))
2.4.26 worked fine while downloading through it as a router at 340kbyte/sec showing 15-20% system load the whole time.

2.6.4 (which I'm running right now) is working fine, showing 5-7% cpu load while downloading at 360kbyte/sec

It must be something with 2.6.7 :(
mernisse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mernisse wrote:

((edit))
2.4.26 worked fine while downloading through it as a router at 340kbyte/sec showing 15-20% system load the whole time.

2.6.4 (which I'm running right now) is working fine, showing 5-7% cpu load while downloading at 360kbyte/sec

It must be something with 2.6.7 :(

Of course, I spoke too soon....
everything was working peachy under 2.6.4 and then about 10 minutes after bringing up my ipv6 tunnel (I was reconfiguring another server at that point, supid new /64 assignments...) the router decided to crap itself. I couldn't get an ssh connection in, so I had to use the serial console..
load showed down around 5-7%, and it wasn't having the ping problems like it was before (pings were averaging around 10-30ms to my isp's webserver) but for some reason websites were loading at about the speed of dialup.

iptraf wasn't showing much traffic, only about 110kbit/sec or so...but it was so slow... I swapped back to my production router and everything was fine again...

I guess I'll give 2.4.26 another try, see if I can get it to break or not....
DingbatCA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Colo on a cobalt RaQ2 Reply with quote

Looking for the "cheat sheet" on how to set up colo on a cobalt RaQ2... Any one have a link to such a thing?
-Dingbat
Edit
Got it.... booting great, reflashed the bios.

Last edited by DingbatCA on Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: