Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
updating conf files after an emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errtu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: updating conf files after an emerge Reply with quote

Hi,

Sometimes after i do an emerge (today it was 'baselayout') i get a msg saying i got alot of config files in /etc that need updating. Sure, i can just copy the newer ones over the older ones, but how do i know which ones i should update, and which ones to leave alone? For example, my make.conf now has a CFLAGS line suited for my cpu (athlon-xp). But the newer config file has those set to the standard i686 arch. So i figured that i should NOT update that one. But i'm not too sure about the other ones, and this time i need to update 39 files ..... How am i suppose to know which one i DO overwrite, and which ones to leave alone? Isn't there an easy (and more importantly; safe) way to check this?

Thanks in advance.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy and safe... I'm going to have to say no. The built in etc-update tool works great, but it's neither easy nor safe *UNLESS* you already know what you're doing in the first place. It's both easy and safe if you understand how to use it and what your config files all do.

I just emerged the new baselayout today... I said yes to overwriting probably 30 files without thinking (header updates only) said no to one or two and selectively merged the rest... I did however uses it's nice feature to view the differences in EVERY case before making my decision.

Unless you've doctored your init scripts you can probably say YES to everything in /etc/init.d.

You should probably say no to things like /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab and other critical system files that are no doubt customized specifically for your system. Most anything it wants to change in /etc/* definately needs to be reviewed first.

You should probably selectively merge files like make.config so you get the latest updates, plus keep your custom settings...

I hope I've helped...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been asked ALOT, and will definately be in the FAQ forum at some point. Updating unmodified config files automatically may be of interest. However, that script requires that AUTOCLEAN be off, which isn't recommended. Basically, you'd need to manually run emerge -c after emerging anything. IF you get the message about updating config files, you'd run the script, then emerge -c.

A search for update AND config AND files AND emerge has quite a few results that should be helpful. Also, etc-update (a program to help update files) may help in the search.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: