View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beatlejuice321
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: commands to start KDE? Reply with quote

OK, I have Gentoo installed, and I installed my desktop by emerging first "xfree86" and then "KDE".

Problem:

According to the "Desktop" setup screen on Gentoo's website. You use the "kdm" command to start KDE thourh the desktop manager program. How do I bypass this? I just want to start KDE from the command line from whichever log in I am currently using. Could anyone tell me?

Note: also when I use the KDM/XDM command to start KDE, I cannot exit from the login screen back to the command prompt. I have to actually use the "Restart Computer" command. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, only restarts the KDM manager again.

Can anyone help me? I also noticed that someone said that I had to install the "QT" libraries separetly, but this makes no sense because KDE seems to run fine using KDM command to start it.

Any help anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bealtjuice
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Starting KDE Reply with quote

No sweat, just make sure the startkde command is in your .xinitrc file, and use startx instead:
Code:
cd
echo startkde > .xinitrc

This is how you would do it for other WMs too, for example Fluxbox would require fluxbox in that file. Portage will already have merged the Qt libraries because KDE is dependent on them.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you have multiple wm's listed in the .xinitrc file? Also I don't think that takes care of the abilitly to exit back to the "runlevel3" bash prompt does it?
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just place exec startkde into ~/.xinitrc, and then start the X server by running the command startx.
when you logout from your kde session, you will return to the original bash prompt.

oh yeah... i forgot... i think you also have to chmod a+x .xinitrc as well.
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting KDE Reply with quote

kerframil wrote:

Code:
cd
echo startkde > .xinitrc

FYI: This will overwite your .xinitrc file. Of course, it doesn't matter if you didn't create one in the first place.
magoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
Can you have multiple wm's listed in the .xinitrc file?

i list multiple wm's by commenting out all but the one i want to use. just put each wm command on their own line.

dArkMaGE wrote:
i think you also have to chmod a+x .xinitrc as well.

also the file does not need to be +x anymore
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: commands to start KDE? Reply with quote

beatlejuice321 wrote:

Note: also when I use the KDM/XDM command to start KDE, I cannot exit from the login screen back to the command prompt. I have to actually use the "Restart Computer" command. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, only restarts the KDM manager again.

There are almost no situations where you have to reboot your computer while using linux!
A few of these:
1. X freezes and you don't have another machine to ssh in to kill X
2. you installed a new kernel and want to use it (not true if you have user-space-kernel capabilities.
3. Memory-Usage prevents you from login in from another machine to kill the harmful process(es)

To your problem:
If you can't use
Code:

ALT+CTRL+F[1..6]

to go to one of the six consoles from kdm/xdm login, your system is fucked up. If you didn't know that this is the way, rtfm next time!
To get back from a console to X: ALT+CTRL+F7

regards,
tom
kode54
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can use the environment variable XSESSION.

Executing startx will, conveniently, start X, with whichever session script you specify. All of the session scripts are contained in /etc/X11/Sessions.

So,

XSESSION=kde-3.0 startx

Will start X with the script /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.0

You can also export XSESSION= within your .bash_profile, or set the default XSESSION for your configured DISPLAYMANAGER within /etc/rc.conf.
beatlejuice321
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for all your suggestions. They did work and I got it working fine.

I appreciate it!

Thanks,

Beatlejuice
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: commands to start KDE? Reply with quote

beatlejuice321 wrote:

Ok, I've heard of a few people who want to do this ( but heavens knows why ). Programs that are started repeatedly like kdm, or the virtual console logins, or modem dialin sessions are started from init, which is controlled by a file called /etc/inittab.

Somewhere in /etc/inittab you should find a line that looks something like this - I am reciting from memory:

Code:

x:345:respawn:/usr/sbin/kdm

This means that in run levels 3, 4 and 5, run a service ( "x" ), with the command line "/usr/sbin/kdm". When it exits "respawn" it. You can comment this line out with a # character, and then force init to reread the file.

Code:

killall -HUP init

The next time you exit KDM, it should stay dead. And of course, this information applies to other DM's as well.

Regards,
Bryn.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: