New portage function proposal
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: New portage function proposal Reply with quote

I think there should be a function for portage to download only upgrades for a program we chose in the command line such as "emerge -m mozilla" which will check a rsync mirror for a possible uprade of mozilla and will download the newest ebuild and emerge it, instead of rsyncing the whole portage tree which takes up bandwidth etc.
What do you think?
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was asked before, and the answer was like "that's not possible due to the dependencies". Mozilla depends on zip, imagine zip has a security flaw and gets removed from the tree, another version of zip is added. If you would only sync mozilla and not the rest, installing mozilla would not result in replacing the version of zip.
There is however the possibility to exclude parts of the whole tree from sync (could lead to similar problems, I'm afraid). Set RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM in make.conf for that, see man make.conf and man rsync
hensan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only downloading the ebuilds you need is a great idea. Why have 300+ MB of ebuilds, patches and whatnot lying around on your harddrive, most of which you are never going to use?

Either portage could be redesigned so that emerge -s/-u will actually connect to a portage mirror and do the search there (no more syncing), or instead of downloading everything just download a list of package descriptions that you can search and then download the files you need.
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could set something up like the cvs updates for freebsd ports tree. i could block off some of the categories ill never even install like the different languages.
Useful Idiot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John5788 wrote:
could set something up like the cvs updates for freebsd ports tree. i could block off some of the categories ill never even install like the different languages.

You can already do that with portage:
Code:
       RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM = "/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
              This  is  a file that portage will pass to rsync when it updates
              the portage tree.  Specific chucks of the tree may  be  excluded
              from  the  sync  process.  This may cause dependency failures if
              you are not careful.  The  file  format  is  pattern  per  line,
              blanks and ';' or '#' lines are comments.  See rsync(1) for more
              details.

John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well isnt that just dandy. :) u gentoo devs thought of everything already.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want to update the ebuild for one package you can add this to /etc/portage/rsync_excludes. You have to uncomment the RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM line in /etc/make.conf, I'll use mozilla as an example, but it wonrks with any package, you just have to make sure you add the category first.

Code:
+ net-www/
+ net-www/mozilla/
+ net-www/mozilla/**

As said before this will not sync any dependencies, but you can add extra packages before the final * in rsync_excludes.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is a good idea. You can run into dependancy problems. And for what? With today's hardware (and even yesterday's) most of us have enough diskspace, bandwidth and processor power to run portage the normal way.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a problem with it, it could be done that after the new mozilla ebuild is downloaded it also checks the dependancies for updates. :?
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I don't think this is a good idea. You can run into dependancy problems. And for what? With today's hardware (and even yesterday's) most of us have enough diskspace, bandwidth and processor power to run portage the normal way.

On the other hand, if a person wanted to upgrade just a certain package like web browser for whatever reason, he wouldn't have to run whole rsync which would put some load off of the rsync servers.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
I don't see a problem with it, it could be done that after the new mozilla ebuild is downloaded it also checks the dependancies for updates. :?

It could be made to make an educated guess at the dependencies from the current ebuild, then check for new ones when it downloads the new ebuild. This could go on for some time if the new dependencies have new dependencies. You could end up syncing lots of times and getting yourself banned from an rsync server.

AFAICS there's no easy way of overcoming this problem, it may be possible using the metadata cache, but would still require 2 syncs.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just check out www.gentoo-portage.com and sync if you see an update you want, the files dont take up that much space and the dependancy prob is avoided
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: