View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessevitrone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: x86config question Reply with quote

I tried x86config once, but didn't have much luck, so let me ask a few questions before I go back in and try again.

The list of monitors:
1) A couple of the choices are scrolled off the top of the screen, how can I see what they are?
2) From the choices I did see, nothing looked right. I've got an HP Omnibook 6100 with the 14" LCD screen. How do I know which monitor to choose?

The HP specs for my laptop aren't much help in trying to figure out my vertical and horizontal refresh rates.
http://www.hp.com/notebooks/us/eng/products/omnibook_6100/omnibook_6100_specifications.htm

How can I find them out? I saw a post about someone using xvidtune. Is that installed by default with Gentoo? Do I have to download it? Is there a windows utility that will tell me? I tried using the ATI utility that came with my video card, but it only tells me "60hz", not verital and horizontal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest finding your own horizontal and vertical sync rates in either the documentation that came with your monitor/laptop or getting them on the web. Then, just choose the last option (enter your own sync rates) and go that direction. Custom is almost always better.
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question about seeing option that are scrolled off screen, use [shift]+pageup and [shift]+pagedown to see text off the terminal
I took a look at the pdf reference guide for your monitor but its vauge at best, you might want to check google and if that fails hope your paper documentation. My monitor came with a specs sheet which lists the "physical refresh rate" and "verticle refresh rate" given in khz and hz, id give more detail but seem to have misplaced the book at the moment. The quoted phrases as well as monitor model(or computer model) in google should get you what you need...
hope it helps
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incedently from the pdf metioned in previous post
at http://h200004.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpi05202/lpi05202.pdf

mentions 60hz as one of the refresh rates (mine are a range so this might be wrong?) and dosent give the other one...

Also, to warn you in advance, you can seriously screw up a monitor by not choosing values in the proper range.
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 Hz is the vertical refresh rate. That means that 60 times a second, it jumps back to the top of the screen (a vertical jump) to redraw the screen.

Horizontal refresh is the "sweep" from left to right.

Most LCDs don't support various rates to my knowledge, and just use interpolation to adjust screen resolutons.

Here's a googled site that looks to be authoritative on that model:
http://www.nyx.net/~dwiebold/omnibook6100-linux.html

It includes a link (under "Graphics") to his x86Config file so you can see what he's using for his 6100...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: