Kernel panic! Help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormmind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Kernel panic! Help! Reply with quote

I needed to recompile the kernel and did it without any problems. But when I tryed to backup the existing bzImage, I didn't found it. Whole /boot was scrambled! Since I was still able to boot, I figured the i-nodes table on the partition became corrupt. I didn't know how to restore it (if it was possible at all), so I formatted the boot-partition, copied over the new kernel and reinstalled grub on it.

When I rebooted, I was greeted with the grub prompt instead of the usual picture flashing by, but I found out how to load the kernel image and boot it. When doing so I got kernel panic: "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03)". I had no idea what that meant, but the problem could be that I forgot to enable something in the kernel, since I removed the old gentoo-source after I emerged the new one. I did copy the config file from the old to the new one, though.

So I booted from a cd and followed the installation instructions skipping steps I thought was unnessecary (I allready had patitions, for example) untill I was able to mount my root fs. Then I recompiled the kernel again enabling things I thought could be needed (too bad there is no good description of all the options, cause I'm not sure about 75% of them). But I still get the same kernel panic on boot!

Any ideas on what might be wrong? What options in the kernel do I _have_ to enable? Are the any options that _need_ to be disabled? At the moment I don't see how I can fix this without reinstalling Gentoo.

Thanks in advance,
Storm
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel panic! Help! Reply with quote

Stormmind wrote:
(too bad there is no good description of all the options, cause I'm not sure about 75% of them)

Pressing '?' gives help.

Quote:
What options in the kernel do I _have_ to enable?

Support for everything needed to mount your root filesystem. The filesystem type you're using on /, support for the IDE or SCSI controller, disk support.

Quote:
At the moment I don't see how I can fix this without reinstalling Gentoo.

That will not do anything helpful. If you are stuck compiling kernels, there is no point to reinstalling: you will get stuck at the same place. Anything more anyone can tell you will require information about your hardware, disk partition layout and filesystem type choice.
Stormmind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have an IDE drive with 3 patitions: hda1 (boot), hda2 (swap), hda3 (root). The boot patition is ext2 and root is xfs. It is possible that I didn't compile the xfs support in the kernel, but that is only because I couldn't find it. I enabled anything I thought would be usefull in the filesystems setup. =/
Delphiki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you're still having this problem, but if you are.. are you sure you have a kernel which supports Xfs? If you couldn't find it in the kernel options there's a good chance that's why. I believe it's in gentoo-2.4.l9 or higher..
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two choices for XFS support in current kernels: either emerge xfs-sources, or unmask gentoo-sources-r10 and define USE="xfs" before emerging it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: