menuconfig options
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott8711
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: menuconfig options Reply with quote

Is ther anywhere i can go on the web or in a book that has a detailed description of what all of the options are and how they effet each other in the menuconfig. It seems that some options prevent other options from building and some prevent the whole kernel from building. I am using gentoo-sources. The contdown has begun, if I can't find a source to help in 24 hours with all of the problems linux will be killed and this machine will get Windows XP. I know thats a horrible thing to do but Windows XP work and Linux does not.

Scott
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always click on HELP on the menuconfig to get some.... You guessed.... HELP
Quote:
Windows XP work and Linux does not.

If it doesn't work, then just don't use it.... You not knowing how to work with it is one thing... Saying that it doesn't work, it's a completely different thing... If you're such a newbie, I'd advise you to check http://www.linux-mandrake.com and let the RPM get a kernel for you... :evil:
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Hear, hear... Reply with quote

I'm not sure if gentoo is the distro for you. My advice is to start with Redhat, Suse, or Mandrake, and when you feel confident enough, give gentoo another try. RH, Suse & MD are like buying a decent sports car, and gentoo is like building one from components. Its a better car, but how much better depends on your mechanic skills.

Once you feel confident installing any of the above distros, then try gentoo again (esp. when you have more time, as I doubt you could get a working gentoo install going in 24 hrs anyways). When you run into snags or have questions, post here! this is one of the best linux forums going, and people are more than happy to help...

Also, configuring a kernel takes quite a bit of knowledge. Linux documentation is spread out, so take some time, use the help options & menuconfig, and another machine with an internet connection to look up questions you have... its worth the time, as you will learn *so* much about your system that other distros/OSes shield you from...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still around, http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html may be useful. Reading between the lines of your comment, I suspect that you are turning off and on rather wide-ranging options, and dependency information is getting messed up. Except for third-party unsupoorted drivers (and bugs), the kernel should compile properly no matter how you configure it. Search the forums for "mrproper" to get some more information and specific command sequences that generally solve this problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: