Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Several noob problems (dhcpcd, time, panel-png and .xinitrc)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowtip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Several noob problems (dhcpcd, time, panel-png and .xinitrc) Reply with quote

1) dhcpcd: When doing some etc-updates, I really messed up some of my config files, and now dhcp won't load at startup. I have to manually perform "dhcpcd eth0" everytime I boot.

So, which config-file should I edit and what should I add, to get automagic dhcpcd at boot?

2) Time: My time is some 40 minutes off, every time I boot, I checked the BIOS clock, and everything seems ok. My timezone settings seems to be OK too. I was thinking of using "ntptimeset -s" at boot for adjustment. In which config file should I put that line?

3) panel-problems: When restarting the panel (Gnome2), I get a message about a missing image (icon):

Failed to load image evolution.png

Details: File not found.

It appeared after un-emerging Evoulution (duh!), but now I can't seem to find which file that wants the .png to be loaded. My very basic knowledge of grep didn't help me much either. The weird thing is that, as far as I can tell, there is no missing icon in the panel or the menus?

4) .xinitrc: This is a file many people are reffering to when editing config files. I can't seem to find it though, after checking ~/ and /etc/... Could it be that this is a file that Gentoo doesn't make by default? Should I make my own .xinitrc, and in that case, where?

Yeah, and a... bonus question. :)

5) Auto Num-lock: I searched the forums and FAQ for this one and found several solutions, of which none worked. How do I get Num-lock to be activated at boot (or when entering X, at least)?

Thanks!

Johan

Running Gentoo1.4, Gnome2.
omninull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I believe the file you're looking for is /etc/conf.d/net just uncomment the line:
Code:
iface_eth0="dhcp"

4) The global xinitrc script is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc but I usually never touch that one, I perfer using ~/.xinitrc

Those are the only questions I know the answers to, but I guess 2 out of 5 isn't that bad :|
"USING LUNix makes yuo hungary from compiling a kernals so all Lunix usars do is eat eat eat. Yuo can take their shirts from their hamper and wring thems out and yuo will produce a barrel full of gravey, enough to feed 198 men!" -Jeff K
SuperTomate
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Several noob problems (dhcpcd, time, panel-png and .xini Reply with quote

wowtip wrote:
1) dhcpcd: When doing some etc-updates, I really messed up some of my config files, and now dhcp won't load at startup. I have to manually perform "dhcpcd eth0" everytime I boot.

So, which config-file should I edit and what should I add, to get automagic dhcpcd at boot?

-> /etc/conf.d/net :
iface_eth0="dhcp"

wowtip wrote:

2) Time: My time is some 40 minutes off, every time I boot, I checked the BIOS clock, and everything seems ok. My timezone settings seems to be OK too. I was thinking of using "ntptimeset -s" at boot for adjustment. In which config file should I put that line?

-> /etc/conf.d/local.start
I use :
Code:

ntpdate <ntp_server>

I don't know what ntptimeset do...

wowtip wrote:

3) panel-problems: When restarting the panel (Gnome2), I get a message about a missing image (icon):

Failed to load image evolution.png

Details: File not found.

It appeared after un-emerging Evoulution (duh!), but now I can't seem to find which file that wants the .png to be loaded. My very basic knowledge of grep didn't help me much either. The weird thing is that, as far as I can tell, there is no missing icon in the panel or the menus?

I don't know if it can help but you should try the recursive (-r) option of grep.
Code:

grep -r evolution.png /directory/*

wowtip wrote:

4) .xinitrc: This is a file many people are reffering to when editing config files. I can't seem to find it though, after checking ~/ and /etc/... Could it be that this is a file that Gentoo doesn't make by default? Should I make my own .xinitrc, and in that case, where?

The file ~/.xinitrc is the place where you can specify the programs to be started with X. It overrides the default script /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
So if you want a user to start a different window manager, you can use this file.

wowtip wrote:

Yeah, and a... bonus question. :)

5) Auto Num-lock: I searched the forums and FAQ for this one and found several solutions, of which none worked. How do I get Num-lock to be activated at boot (or when entering X, at least)?

For the console, you have to add this in /etc/conf.d/local.start (for example) :
Code:

for tty in /dev/tty*
do
 setleds -D +num < $tty > /dev/null
done

For X, just do :
Code:
emerge numlockx

You have to add "numlockx" in your xinitrc file before starting the window manager.

Whow !
Done ! Answered all questions !
wowtip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks guys! Reply with quote

That solved problem 1 and 2, at least. :D

Still...

3) When I tried grep -r evolution.png in my home directory, the computer just stood there chewing away? I left it for 10 minutes, but still chewing... Is that how it should be? And no, it didn't find the missing .png. :?

4) Here I ran into some weird trouble..? I thought the ~/.xinitrc was for loading apps that should be loaded when X starts up. So, I put GnomeICU into this file, believing it would start when Gnome starts up. Do you think it did? Nope. :(

5) Well, I emerged numlockx, and put it first in my xinitrc & ~/.xinitrc ... Still no numlock when starting Gnome. The weird thing tho, is that it enabled num-lock in console, then turned it off when X started!? Gah.

Any suggestions are welcome, I'll be here scratching my head in the meantime.
SuperTomate
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks guys! Reply with quote

wowtip wrote:

3) When I tried grep -r evolution.png in my home directory, the computer just stood there chewing away? I left it for 10 minutes, but still chewing... Is that how it should be? And no, it didn't find the missing .png. :?

You have to specify in which directory you launch the grep command else that executes grep against what you tape on the keyboard after the ENTER key.
To search in every files in /home, do :
Code:
grep -r evolution.png /home

wowtip wrote:

4) Here I ran into some weird trouble..? I thought the ~/.xinitrc was for loading apps that should be loaded when X starts up. So, I put GnomeICU into this file, believing it would start when Gnome starts up. Do you think it did? Nope. :(

Your .xinitrc loads programs when X starts. It loads nothing else !
So, if you put only GnomeICU in the file, only this program will be loaded ! No window manager !
If you want to start GnomeICU AND a window manager (KDE for example), you have to write something like that :
Code:
GnomeICU &
/usr/kde/3/bin/startkde

(Notice the "&", it makes the script continue to start the window manager)
To know which commands are used to start window managers, have a look in /etc/X11/Sessions

And I repeat : ~/.xinitrc REPLACES /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc when it exists.

wowtip wrote:

5) Well, I emerged numlockx, and put it first in my xinitrc & ~/.xinitrc ... Still no numlock when starting Gnome. The weird thing tho, is that it enabled num-lock in console, then turned it off when X started!? Gah.

You have to start numlockx BEFORE the window manager in your .xinitrc.
Code:
GnomeICU &
numlockx
/usr/kde/3/bin/startkde

(Note : no "&" needed after "numlockx" because it exits itself)
wowtip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Thanks for the grep info, I got rid of that annoying error message about "evolution.png" after all. :)

But the .xinitrc problem with GnomeICU is still there. I made a completely new .xinitrc in ~/ ... I then put only gnomeicu in there, but still everything starts up fine, but without GnomeICU. I am probably doing somethingvery wrong here...

Still problems with numlockx, it won't start in Gnome, even when I put it first in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
Ragnar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Code:
rc-update add numlock default

That only works in the shell
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three ways to find a file:

Code:

ls -1R / | grep file # Careful, may cause recursive errors
locate file # Requires locate database
find / -name 'file' # Processor intensive, may cause recursive problems if it dereferences symlinks

[/code]
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick comment on the time problem: It might be from a bad /etc/adjtime file... you can safely delete it as it is auto-generated. Otherwise I've had it get messed up during gentoo installation and throw my time off by an hour or two...
Riftwing
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a given but just in case since it wasn't mentioned. When you add programs to load in .xinitrc you have to put exec in front of it. Such as exec program.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riftwing wrote:
When you add programs to load in .xinitrc you have to put exec in front of it. Such as exec program.

AFAIK, exec should only be used for the last (window manager) argument. Do you have different information?
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowtip wrote:

Add ntpd to your default run level with
Code:
rc-update add ntpd default

Then put a time server in /etc/ntp.conf. This will periodically adjust your clock to the correct time.
SuperTomate
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

wowtip wrote:
But the .xinitrc problem with GnomeICU is still there. I made a completely new .xinitrc in ~/ ... I then put only gnomeicu in there, but still everything starts up fine, but without GnomeICU. I am probably doing somethingvery wrong here...

Still problems with numlockx, it won't start in Gnome, even when I put it first in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

Euhm... I think I know where your problem is. Do you use a display manager (kdm, gdm or xdm) ? If so, the display manager doesn't look your ~/.xinitrc or /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc at all. These files seem to be used only when your launch X with the startx command (or xinit).
The display manager calls directly the scripts in /etc/X11/Sessions. I tried to add "numlockx" at the begining of the script /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.0.4 and it works.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
numlockx
/usr/kde/3/bin/startkde
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: